What to do at Icy Strait Point?

Look2Sea

We walked into the little town and went to a restaurant on the right and had the best halibut fish and chips ever. We walked farther into the town and there was an area where the eagles congregated. We probably saw 30-40 eagles. It was a lovely experience.

We walked into the little town and went to a restaurant on the right and had the best halibut fish and chips ever. We walked farther into the town and there was an area where the eagles congregated. We probably saw 30-40 eagles. It was a lovely experience.

Was the little town Hoonah?

This is one of the better ports to go whale watching. Several outfitters - we used Floyd with FISHES 2 yrs ago in August. GREAT time!!! There is also a zipline and Native Indian Dance theater near the dock. Nice walk to the village of Hoonah, lunch at the Office Bar (fresh crab:D). One my favorite ports on our trip!

I went whale watching with Glacier Winds. It was fantastic!!!!! Shawn has an excellent reputation. We saw lots of humpbacks and sea lions. Shawn spotted a bear on the shore on our way back and stopped for a closer look.

We stopped in Hoonah for the halibut pizza. It sounded disgusting to me, but everyone else in my group wanted to try it. I was shocked at how good it was. I definitely recommend stopping for the pizza.

The ship offers some nice excursions in ISP, but we chose to go with Keith of Teckk Tours on a Bear Search. It was a great tour. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info about Teckk Tours. The tour you did sounds ideal. We're way past ziplining and enegetic hiking. How far ahead did you need to book and how much did he charge per person.

Mo

If the weather is nice walk to Hoonah, we did and saw a whale and also a bald eagle, stoped by The Office (on the right) a bar with food. I had a Jim Beam & Coke, smoked my cigg at the bar while I played $1 pull tabs....I enjoyed it so much I bought a t-shirt.

Then we walked a little further to The Galley (on the Left). The owner has the plane, sorry I have his info at home and feel awful he treated us like family and his name slips my mind... Ken??

Also the Bear man is there and if the bears are out he will book you and take you if the bears are not out he won't take you.

Try the halibut pizza made right there. It was yummy, not even fishy tasting.

The Owners Mother works there also and is a sweetie to all.

Mike Jackson is the pilot G&PT is referring to. He and Jan (his Mom) are fantastic people and we actually stayed in their Lodge above the Galley. Actually from what I hear the name may have changed; but as G&PT mentioned, it is down from the Office on the left (with the water's edge to the right). It's a two story barn red building and the Halibut Pizza is fantastic! They also have really good subs and Jan makes the sub rolls homemade! Here is the web page for their pizza business. http://www.wildfrontierpizza.com/ The number on the website will help you get in touch with Mike who is the pilot.

When you call please tell Mike Sharon from Charlotte sends a big hi and a big hug! Oh I can taste the Halibut Pizza now!!!

Thats' correct! Mike & Ms. Jan were wonderful people. He is hoping to sell The Galley again so hurry in for that yummy halibut pizza or better yet use the web site posted and have it shipped to your home!

Is it possible to be a little more specific? Like what was the name of the restaurant? Which way did you walk from the ship??

Archived