Fear of Fish....Half Moon Cay

Brenda33

Ok, I have a silly question. I am not a big fan of fish. I run away like a crazy woman from them. LOL In any case, we are going to Half Moon Cay next week and I am wondering if I rent one of those floating mats if I will run into a lot of fish or are they few and far between, etc.? Thanks for your help......I'm a big fish chicken. :eek:

Don't worry, B - my stepmom has the same fear! I'm on here looking for alternatives to snorkeling for her and my Dad. Has anyone done the Tropical Kayak Excursion or the Nature Walk or the parasailing (especially the first two!)?

Glad to know that there are no fish...I share a similar fear. I'm more afraid of a fish rubbing up against me...it would totally freak me out...:o Yet I did the stingray excursion in the Cayman Islands..Go figure...:rolleyes:

I think if a fish rubbed up against me I would have a heart attack right there! We were in Cozumel and I could not even get in the water. There were so many fish. My son, who was 2 at the time, and DH were in the water with about a billion fish swimming around them!!!!! EWWWWWWWWW!!!! I always wish I could swim with dolphins....so I guess that is weird too. I am not afraid of them....but the fish they feed them and that would be in the water with them freak me out.

DW reports that when we were at Half Moon Cay a couple of years ago, there were lots of smallish translucent fish that would swim around the bather's feet. She thought it was neat.

It was much better than the school of baby sharks we met up with on the beach at my mother's condo. They were interesting and mom and dad shark were not around, so we didn't mind them.

Doc

Ok, I have a silly question. I am not a big fan of fish. I run away like a crazy woman from them. LOL In any case, we are going to Half Moon Cay next week and I am wondering if I rent one of those floating mats if I will run into a lot of fish or are they few and far between, etc.? Thanks for your help......I'm a big fish chicken. :eek:

Sorry to inform you that there are a few fish at HMC. They are small in size and number, but they are there.

Your cousin must have been talking with me while wading in the water at HMC. :D This lady totally freaked out that there were a few fish in the water about 4-5 feet from us. Her sister was laughing so hard that she almost ended up submerging herself under the water.

If you stick to the active beach area where everyone is the fish should take off and not come back. There would be too much stirring up of the water for them to hang around.....

Fish phobia--go to a hypnotist or a therapist to get over the phobia (in time). They can help with phobias.

My parents took my brother and I to see Jaws when it came out and I was FIVE. Needless to say, it was NOT a movie for young children as I spent a good time screaming or in the bathroom. I had a fear for many a year that Jaws was under the bed couch, kitchen table, desk, and anything else that had open space under it. I outgrew it by the time I was a teenager....

Now spiders and insects...sorry, I still hate em and won't touch em!!!

Just came back and I am with you! There is schools of little white ones but once you move the water, they take off. Believe me-nothing touched me or I would have freaked.

Yes, the fish in the water off the beach at HMC are very few and far between as there's really nothing in that area for them to eat or hide in. If you're on a floating mat, chances are you won't even notice if the odd one strays by and it certainly won't try and come up to you. I've been scuba diving for 11 years and snorkeling longer than that and I've never been touched by a fish. If you aren't actively trying to attract them with food, you won't even see them.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are truly afraid of sea life, don't get in the water. While there are not a lot of fish right off the beach, they are there. In addition to fish you might see other sea life.

Archived