Closed Loop Cruises has been updated

LoriTX

As of now and if a "closed loop" cruise.... they do not need the passport, but between now and then, the rules could change. No way to predict. But if I was a betting person, I would say you will be OK UNLESS the policies change.
Policies and regulations could change....but since it has taken nearly six years to implement this one, I think a 2010 cruise will be safe under the current regulation. There are NO PENDING changes to the passport regulation, and it would require, by law, a significant warning period in advance if they were to update it further.

As of now and if a "closed loop" cruise.... they do not need the passport, but between now and then, the rules could change. No way to predict. But if I was a betting person, I would say you will be OK UNLESS the policies change.

I told my husband about the new rules and he said he wanted them to get their passports anyway. That way, God forbid, they get left, arrested, or ill, they will have no issues returning to the US. But thank you so much for the information.

Why is it posters read the thread, then still ask "Do I need a passport" ?????? :eek:

It is in plain English !! :rolleyes:

Because it isn't always cut and dry!!!!!! That's why there are questions. RUDE!!!!!!!

I can afford thousands of dollars for a family cruise vacation, but I can't afford a couple of hundred for a passport for my family members :confused:

Not everyone (like steveaaaaa in FL) pays thousands of dollars for a cruise. Just checking the prices out of florida has me wanting to move there compared to the options in the northeast. I saw 2 different options for this summer that would have had a back to back 9 days for LESS then a 7 day from NYC. And until the airfare was added it wasn't even 2k. Even the 3-4-5 day cruises go to ports that COULD require a passport in the future.

I told my husband about the new rules and he said he wanted them to get their passports anyway. That way, God forbid, they get left, arrested, or ill, they will have no issues returning to the US. But thank you so much for the information.

You made a good decision here....and just think...you have really opened a new window of travel to dream destinations you may not have been able to go to w/out a passport, but now will be able to ! :D

I can afford thousands of dollars for a family cruise vacation, but I can't afford a couple of hundred for a passport for my family members :confused:

Since the passport is not required on the closed loop cruises, I am doing what the gov't has said to do. I am not doing anything wrong and need the money for other things as well.

And it is my choice to passprot or not at this point until the gov't says that I must get a passport!

Since the passport is not required on the closed loop cruises, I am doing what the gov't has said to do. I am not doing anything wrong and need the money for other things as well.

And it is my choice to passprot or not at this point until the gov't says that I must get a passport!

Betcha feel better now that you got that off your chest ! :p

No one is making you get a passport.... merely a suggestion ! :rolleyes:

I really do feel better and right now it is a waste of my money!!

Glad you feel better and I hope that all your cruises are wonderful and that no emergency air travel from a foreign port of call arise during your cruises that will cause a delay w/out having a passport. ;)

Closed loop cruises do not require passports !

It is a very simple concept and well documented here.

What questions need to be asked ?

And if you had read her post above you would see that they ARE getting passports now... thanks to the advice and suggestions of many HELPFUL CC members, unlike your comment ! :mad:

And if you had read her post above you would see that they ARE getting passports now... thanks to the advice and suggestions of many HELPFUL CC members, unlike your comment ! :mad:

I did see her post that her husband wants to get them.

This has nothing to do with whether they decide to get or decide not to get them.

That is a personal choice issue.

But, they are not required.

It seems like there are some posters who get the absolute correct answers to their questions, then want to argue or question those answers.

Posters need to remember, we don't make the rules-Carnival and the US govt make the rules for cruising, we just try to furnish the correct answers.

And yes, most of us would probably like to change many of those rules.

Haven't been on in a couple of years, but I see 5 years after first joining, the same arguments being posted. :rolleyes:

Where's the booze smugglin thread. LOL

A family of 4 cost's $400 for passports.

I cruise every year for almost nothing using credit card points and like it was also pointed out,I am in FL and can go last minute as well as residency rates.:D

Steve

What I found weird, was today(6-4-2009) Customs dude didnt even look at anything other than the declaration paper you fill out. He never asked to see the ID, BC, or PP. So much for added scrutiny:D. BTW had no problem using my BC and DL for my cruise. The sky did not fall.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We are doing an eastern carib. in October, leaves and comes back to Ft. Lauderdale. Why is our TA saying we have to have a passport? Is she wrong? We will get them anyway but it IS $400......

We are doing an eastern carib. in October, leaves and comes back to Ft. Lauderdale. Why is our TA saying we have to have a passport? Is she wrong? We will get them anyway but it IS $400......
She is wrong if she is saying they are required on your cruise ( St. Thomas, Grand Turk, San Juan, Half Moon Cay). Half of the ports are US ports anyway. But some TAs are saying to get them just because it is easier to say that than keep track of which itinerary goes where and who does or does not need a passport. And many TA's feel it is good advice to their customers to have a passport in case of unforeseen emergencies.

She is wrong if she is saying they are required on your cruise ( St. Thomas, Grand Turk, San Juan, Half Moon Cay). Half of the ports are US ports anyway. But some TAs are saying to get them just because it is easier to say that than keep track of which itinerary goes where and who does or does not need a passport. And many TA's feel it is good advice to their customers to have a passport in case of unforeseen emergencies.

Thanks, its good to know it's not needed!

Archived