Closed Loop Cruises has been updated

LoriTX

The US government does not require passports for US citizens on closed-loop cruises. There is nothing to debate about on this. Any info to the contrary is simply wrong. If people are unable to read the actual LAW and understand it, they cannot be helped.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/whti_landseafinalrule.pdf

Mexico grants a limited visa to cruise ship passengers and does not require passports for cruise ship passengers. The likelihood of that changing anytime soon is close to nil.

We just got off the Carnival Glory last weekend and we were given a non conformance brochure by customs. We didn't have passports. My son is 15 so I only had his birth certificate. They let us through without hassle but we were told that they are going to start fining Carnival for every passenger that they let on their ship without proper ID. I told my PVP and she told me it's a bunch of bull... Just letting you know my experience. We did the Eastern Caribbean.

We just got off the Carnival Glory last weekend and we were given a non conformance brochure by customs. We didn't have passports. My son is 15 so I only had his birth certificate. They let us through without hassle but we were told that they are going to start fining Carnival for every passenger that they let on their ship without proper ID. I told my PVP and she told me it's a bunch of bull... Just letting you know my experience. We did the Eastern Caribbean.

That's a total 180 from my experience. In Jacksonville I used my BC and DL and no one batted an eye for embarkation or debarkation. Customs did nothing more then take my form and wave me on.

I doubt I'll cruise again without a passport though. I have to admit I was a nervous wreck even though I had read the WHTI and countless posts on here about closed loop cruises. Until I was on the ship I was worried. It's just not worth it.

That's a total 180 from my experience. In Jacksonville I used my BC and DL and no one batted an eye for embarkation or debarkation. Customs did nothing more then take my form and wave me on.

I doubt I'll cruise again without a passport though. I have to admit I was a nervous wreck even though I had read the WHTI and countless posts on here about closed loop cruises. Until I was on the ship I was worried. It's just not worth it.

I too had no problems using my BC and ID coming off the Fascination. Like you they never even looked at the BC or ID. I never had any concerns about using my BC. Taking another cruise and still gonna use the BC in Nov.:D:p:)

warning: this is completely useless information read at your own risk.

what the heck is the problem with just getting a passport?!? is it really that hard? you people will be complaining about how horrible carnival is when they leave your rear in port or when you get ill at a foreign port and you cant fly home cause you were too cheap to pick up a passport

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!! It is so simple, and as for the cost - if you can afford to cruise, you can afford to get a passport.

There are enough things about which to get one's underwear in a bunch when one travels, so I just don't understand why one wouldn't want to smooth things out wherever there MIGHT be a problem.

OH well .......to each his own.

From Carnival's Web Site

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

"but will need proof of citizenship such as"

• an original or certified copy of a birth certificate,
  • a certificate of naturalization,
  • a passport card,
  • an enhanced driver’s license (EDL)

See the commas above,,,,,,, So you will need ONE of the above.

And then "as well as a government-issued photo ID"

This will include any DL with a pic. Does not have to be the EDL.

The EDL should work as both, and is not required with BC, as long as you have a DL with a pic.

Ok I have my passport but have a few friends who are going on a cruise with us in Sept. Money is tight as we all know we are leaving from New Orlenas and going to Progresso and Cozumel do they need passports or not? I cannot get a firm grip on this LOL

Thanks for clearing this up!:o

Ok I have my passport but have a few friends who are going on a cruise with us in Sept. Money is tight as we all know we are leaving from New Orlenas and going to Progresso and Cozumel do they need passports or not? I cannot get a firm grip on this LOL

Thanks for clearing this up!:o

No PP is needed, as long as they are US citizens and you are returning back to New Orleans.

If the above is true, all they need is BC and DL.

EDL's are more than just a holographic watermark or the addition of a picture. They must adhere to similar security standards of a passport card, they contain an RFID chip, they are proof of citizenship as well as identity and as far as I know, only four states are issuing them as of now. New Jersey is not one of them.

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/gc_1197575704846.shtm

SC must be because when I went through security at the airport it set off the buzzer. Aftet 3 times through I handed the guard my driver's license and then I went through fine.

SC must be because when I went through security at the airport it set off the buzzer. Aftet 3 times through I handed the guard my driver's license and then I went through fine.
SC might encode something in their license as do many states, but SC is not certified to issue EDLs, nor have they applied for such status.

Ok, I'm sure I'm gonna get blasted, but I wanted to share this info anyway. I was just on Valor (6/14 - 6/21) and when we stopped in Key West we all had to go through immigration on the ship. I was in line behind a gentleman who did not have a passport, only his bc. The immigration officer said and I quote "as of 6/1 passports are needed". The gentleman said "Carnival said it wasn't" and the officer said "well, they're wrong and we've told them several times". Now he did let the guy go through, but I got the definite impression that they are getting less and less tolerant.

Just wanted to share what I experienced and heard.

Anyone who is planning to leave the U.S. for any reason,under any circumstance and refuses to get a passport is playing with fire and putting their entire vacation in jeopardy.

That Immigration official standing in front of you is the final authority on your current and immediate status.

Any who are planning to leave the U.S. for any reason, by any means, who refuses to buy a passport is asking for trouble.

It matters NOT what Carnival says....or your best friend....or some website....or here on CC.

Get a passport.

Anyone who is planning to leave the U.S. for any reason' date='under any circumstance and refuses to get a passport is playing with fire and putting their entire vacation in jeopardy.

That Immigration official standing in front of you is the final authority on your current and immediate status.

Any who are planning to leave the U.S. for any reason, by any means, who refuses to buy a passport is asking for trouble.

It matters NOT what Carnival says....or your best friend....or some website....or here on CC.

Get a passport.

you're right. it doesn't matter what the WHTI site says if the officer on duty is having a bad day.

Bill

We did a closed looped cruise on the Legend June 21-28th. I was told that I was getting a free pass today only using birth certificates for my family and the officer in charge said "I am going to flag your family, if you come through again without passports it will be a $500 fine" I did not argue or say anything, just planning on getting passport or the new cards they have out. I too read what was out on the net and carnivals site and it is all up to the one guy standing in front of you when you come off the ship!

We did a closed looped cruise on the Legend June 21-28th. I was told that I was getting a free pass today only using birth certificates for my family and the officer in charge said "I am going to flag your family, if you come through again without passports it will be a $500 fine" I did not argue or say anything, just planning on getting passport or the new cards they have out. I too read what was out on the net and carnivals site and it is all up to the one guy standing in front of you when you come off the ship!

He's not gonna risk his job and give you a "free pass" (unless he's a real moron) if you didn't have the correct documents. He let you through because that is what the current policy says he has to do. You provided the required docs, he let you pass through.

Anyone who is planning to leave the U.S. for any reason' date='under any circumstance and refuses to get a passport is playing with fire and putting their entire vacation in jeopardy.

It matters NOT what Carnival says....or your best friend....[b']or some website[/b]....or here on CC.

Get a passport.

It's not "some" website G'ma. It's a US Gov't (US Customs) website explaining what documents are required. What would make you think it doesn't apply? :rolleyes:

Further, I don't see how not having a passport puts anyones vacation in jeopardy? Nothing says you can't leave without one. Just returning may be an issue (aka: end of vacation) if the official doesn't know his job as well as he should. Simply because one official isn't clear on the law doesn't make him the "final authority"...period. Do you think he's gonna deport you? LMAO

.. I was told that I was getting a free pass today only using birth certificates for my family and the officer in charge said "I am going to flag your family, if you come through again without passports it will be a $500 fine" I did not argue or say anything, just planning on getting passport or the new cards they have out.
If he had said that to me, I would be calling for his supervisor and his badge/ID so fast your head would spin. And then I would be on speed dial to my senator and congressman while I was waiting for the supervisor to show up. That IDIOT inspector was not only wrong, he was threatening you - and since there is no provision for a $500 fine to let people into the country without proper documentation, he was very close to soliciting a bribe. Even though you do not have his name, I would suggest you contact your representatives anyway, with the date, location, and description of the agent and ask that you receive a written apology for the 'shakedown attempt' and verifiction that the CBP agents at that port have been properly re-trained. Your Legend cruise fell well within the WHTI cruise exception, and that jerk needs to know it.

new cards they have out. !

Passport Cards are only for land crossing. They are not to be accepted at ports (unless you are entering the port from land?)

Seems like CBP is working towards everyone having a passport.

As I mentioned before, I wonder how long the "closed loop cruise" exception will stand and Passports will be required for all cruises.

Passport Cards are only for land crossing. They are not to be accepted at ports (unless you are entering the port from land?)

As I mentioned before, I wonder how long the "closed loop cruise" exception will stand and Passports will be required for all cruises.

I guess they want to make their own rules or they just don't know the rules which is hard to believe.

Bill.

If he had said that to me, I would be calling for his supervisor and his badge/ID so fast your head would spin. And then I would be on speed dial to my senator and congressman while I was waiting for the supervisor to show up. That IDIOT inspector was not only wrong, he was threatening you

In theory I agree with your statement BUT do you really want to spend time in the "back room" being inspected carefully while the supervisor tells you about "rules"... and on the phone with some senators office who most likely will tell you that you DO need a passport because they have never read the State departments website?

Just get a passport and be done with it.

In theory I agree with your statement BUT do you really want to spend time in the "back room" being inspected carefully while the supervisor tells you about "rules"... and on the phone with some senators office who most likely will tell you that you DO need a passport because they have never read the State departments website?

Just get a passport and be done with it.

We were with a group of 15 and we were just trying to stay w/ our group for pick up. I am also the kind of person who doesnt like to cause a scene so I just said "OK". However, I got in w/ just our birth certificates why it was even said who knows. I agree with you we are getting passports we love to travel anyhow why risk it after that. I still think the guy was just being a turd having a bad day.

Thanks so much, I didnt know that. Just getting the passports so when we travel there are no worries.

Bartrise

It's not only "not just a website", it is the actual law as promulgated by DHS and the Department of State.

I'll be carrying a copy of the applicable CFR regulation with me if some jerk feels like pulling my chain.

The other funny thing about all of these stories - I'm still waiting to hear of an actual detainment or problem. All I am reading are threats from low level, poorly trained law enforcement employees. There is nothing unusual about that issue . . .

If you are scared by an empty threat from a bottom of the rung CBP employee, then by all means get a passport.

Archived