Passover at sea

We would like to take a Royal Caribbean family cruise (13 of us) over Easter break 2010. Several of our family members are Jewish and celebrate Passover, which occurs during the time we would be on the ship.

Can anyone tell me if any provisions are made aboard for the food restrictions in place during Passover?

We would like to take a Royal Caribbean family cruise (13 of us) over Easter break 2010. Several of our family members are Jewish and celebrate Passover, which occurs during the time we would be on the ship.

Can anyone tell me if any provisions are made aboard for the food restrictions in place during Passover?

Just did this Passover on the panama canal cruise. We had about 40 people at the sedar. The rabbi was a little strange but they put on a very nice meal. Gefilte fish, salad, all the thinks on the plate, chicken and brisket. Kosher wine and matzoh crackers (the little ones). Only the chicken soup and matzoh balls lacked the potential to swallow.

You will have no problem. Sign up at the purser.

I think you have to find out how observant your Jewish relatives are. If they just want a seder for the first night then the scenario described by kugel would be OK.

If they expect the waiter to bring them Matzah every night (Passover is traditionally observed for 8 days) and to have the chef prepare dinners that have no leavened products in them then they may have a problem.

There are some tour companies that actually charter a cruise ship for Passover and bring in special foods and dishes.

The prices as you can imagine are very high.

Edited by eetonaee

One of my friends did passover this year on the Mariner and she ran into major problems. The food during the seder wasn't the Kosher for Passover meals that she was promised and was serve non KFP meals without being told. She was told by the maitre D that she couldn't get KFP meals since she hadn't paid extra for them. If keeping passover is important to you a passover curise maybe the best idea even though RCCL says they have KFP food onboard.

Cheers

Howie

• 3 years later...
What is the procedure to register for the seder meal on Explorer of the Seas? What would the charge be per person? Thank you for any information about the Passover meal that would be available.

Wow. A three year old thread!

Once on board, inquire at Guest Relations.

There is no charge, in my experience.

Edited to add: but since you board on the 24th, you may want to write to the special needs dept. around the first week of March.

Edited by Merion_Mom

It was on another line, but at the seder there was a very nice service, those that wanted it had KFP meals (frozen when delivered to the ship), there was Passover matzo and a flourless cake.

At all other meals Passover matzo was available, but you had to ask for it. And you had to ask the right person as moswt servers had no idea what you were asking for.

That said, we had brought some Passover matzo with us in case none was available on the ship.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
Hmmm a five year old thread doesn't seem so long ago for a religion that is over 5000 years old... whatever.

And you had to dig it up after ANOTHER four years, with nothing to add?

There must be a huge Boredom Bug going around.

Sorry, but someone seriously dug up a five year old thread?

Surprisingly it's a 9yr old thread but I'm sure few more messages will pop up in another few years. Too bad my posts from 1997 on Cruise Critic(AOL's) aren't still available...

Edited by ONECRUISER