Carnival lost my daughter from Camp Carnival

blondee007

NC its 8.. I wouldn't leave my 8 year old home alone!!

8!!! Holy Tomolly! I'd get arrested in NJ if I left my kid home alone at 8.

So, back to the question for law enforcement.....people get arrested in the New york/New Jersey area for leaving their kids home alone all the time. If there are no laws on age, how does that happen.

The point I'm trying to get at is with everyone discussing at what age they "leave their kids in the cabin alone" or let them go off without parental supervision, it would be good to know at what age it's actually LEGAL to do this.

Does anyone find it odd that this is the OP's first post and the OP has not returned to respond to anything? Hmmmm....

Gosh, why would she? Many of you have made very harsh comments about her bad parenting in that her kiddo didn't make the precise decisions in rectifying her situation. Chances could be that the mom didn't anticipate a lot of things that maybe she should have. And it's a lesson for the rest of us when planning our next cruise with our kids. I sure know that I don't always have a contingency plan when I have my kids. I assume I will always be there. This post is a reminder to us all that we can't always protect our kids. This board can be entirely too judgmental.

I do not think it matters if the OP comes back or not. I do not care if she was lying or telling the truth. What I do care about is that parents may think it could happen and take precautions. Most of the Carnival ships are huge and you can get lost very easily. I am sure we all have been lost the first few days we are on the ship. But it is important that the children know where they should be, where their Stateroom is and where the Pursers Desk is and how to get there.

Just my 2 cents.

8!!! Holy Tomolly! I'd get arrested in NJ if I left my kid home alone at 8.

So, back to the question for law enforcement.....people get arrested in the New york/New Jersey area for leaving their kids home alone all the time. If there are no laws on age, how does that happen.

The point I'm trying to get at is with everyone discussing at what age they "leave their kids in the cabin alone" or let them go off without parental supervision, it would be good to know at what age it's actually LEGAL to do this.

Remember, most ships are not American flagged ships. Laws could be different on the ships just as they are different in each state.

Most states don't have any laws concerning this - a few do, and it ranges from 8 to 13. We live in Louisiana, and there is no law dictating how old children must be to be home alone.

Yes there is, it is 10. That is the age of culpablity (sp?). And 13 is when you can be charged as an adult in some cases, (which I don't agree with). When I was 10 in Illinois back in the 70's, I was a "latch key child". It all depends on the parents and child.

Yes there is, it is 10. That is the age of culpablity (sp?). And 13 is when you can be charged as an adult in some cases, (which I don't agree with). When I was 10 in Illinois back in the 70's, I was a "latch key child". It all depends on the parents and child.

There is no national law pertaining to leaving kids at home alone - it is a state issue. I worked in the juvenile court system a while back and we had people leaving their 5 and 6 year old kids alone for hours - all day and all night - while they went to work, and I looked into whether or not the parents could be charged with breaking the law - and in Louisiana, they could NOT because there was no law on the books. There had to be evidence of neglect beyond that in order to get child protective services involved.

There is no national law pertaining to leaving kids at home alone - it is a state issue. I worked in the juvenile court system a while back and we had people leaving their 5 and 6 year old kids alone for hours - all day and all night - while they went to work, and I looked into whether or not the parents could be charged with breaking the law - and in Louisiana, they could NOT because there was no law on the books. There had to be evidence of neglect beyond that in order to get child protective services involved.

Wow! I have to check and see what the law is in NJ. With DYFS being so busy here, I'll bet its older. Boy, I keep telling my boss I can't work full time yet cause I can't leave my 12 yo alone (always assumed it was 13). He figured it was an excuse and...........actually............it is. I might not have a leg to stand on now!!:mad:

Hmm when I was ten I remember crawling into the bed of my sister, sometimes thinking I heard a scary noise

maybe being on a huge ship and not knowing where mom and dad are and being alone and afraid and probably not knowing the direction to go to find the room and even if she did the thoughts of going to a room alone at night was just making things more scary

If you have read the other posts, you know that that's the issue we've been discussing - the parents need to familiarize their kids with the ship and with a plan of action in case something like this happens, so they know what to do and don't have any reason to be frightened and to panic.

I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just honestly curious. My son is 9 and on our last cruise he decided he didn't want to go to the show with camp, so the counselors made him sign out when they left for the lounge. He got some ice cream on the lido deck then went back to the room to play his Nintendo DS and wait for me to return.

I think it's important, particularly when your kids are old enough to sign out of Camp Carnival on their own, that they are very familiar with the ship and how to get back to their cabin should anything happen. This might be a good thread to help alert people to the importance of helping kids get familiar with the layout of the ship and how to return to their room from Camp Carnival and other spots on the ship. This way they won't get upset or scared if they need to sign out for some reason, or need to find their room without their parents.

In my opinion I don't think a 9 or 10 year old is old enough to sign themselves out of camp to wander a ship alone - to me that is just simply irresponsible on Carnivals part. I know for sure if I left my 9 year old alone in the house (a place that she knows) and if CPS (child protective services) heard of that I would probably lose my daughter. I really hope that Carnival changes that policy because it is not in the best interest of the children.

Wow, more serious measures:eek:. Our 8 y/o can find his way around, though he probally would have went to the game room instead of the cabin. Just finished reading Cruise Confidential and certainly agree with the author about some Americans, always trying to get something "free". I guess if you spilled "hot" coffee on yourself you would take "more serious measures to."

Notice this would be OP's 1st post also

My daughter would probably be able to find her way - but seriously would I let her? No. For the chances of her getting lost or having something worse happen to her are far greater than spilling hot coffee on yourself.

In my opinion I don't think a 9 or 10 year old is old enough to sign themselves out of camp to wander a ship alone - to me that is just simply irresponsible on Carnivals part. I know for sure if I left my 9 year old alone in the house (a place that she knows) and if CPS (child protective services) heard of that I would probably lose my daughter. I really hope that Carnival changes that policy because it is not in the best interest of the children.

No, it's up to the parents to make sure that the child can not sign themselves out...Carnival is not the parent.

As you can see by some of the posts here, there are people who are OK with this.

Everyone is different, I would not be Ok with this at all but that doesn't mean I'm wrong or right, it's just my parenting style....obviously it's not how most parents do it or Carnival wouldn't have the sign out age so low.

If the scenerio is as the OP stated, it doesn't make sense that the child signed out of her own accord. She freaked after she was out of there....so I can't believe she signed herself out.

Either the CCL crew member screwed up big time OR the OP is a troll.

It would be better if it were the latter....but in the mean time, this makes people a little more aware which is good.

maybe being on a huge ship and not knowing where mom and dad are and being alone and afraid and probably not knowing the direction to go to find the room and even if she did the thoughts of going to a room alone at night was just making things more scary

If Mom & Dad know how the child is...why did they sign to let her sign herself out of Camp Carnival.

No, it's up to the parents to make sure that the child can not sign themselves out...Carnival is not the parent.

You Are right, i did NOT sign for my DD to check herself out when she was that age, as a matter of fact, the first year she could actually leave on her own, i gave her instructions to wait for me to get her for the first few days, until a felt she could find me and her way around on her own.

why are people assuming they did?? :confused: Did I miss something?

The OP said "My daughter felt confused and forced to sign out so she left"

Don't know if its the same now but when my kids where that age, If you do not allow your child to sign themselves out, they will have no sign out sheet, unless they made her sign out on the parental main sheet that is up by the door.....if that were the case, someone should have been fired.

Don't know about anyone else but thats why i was assuming.

The OP said "My daughter felt confused and forced to sign out so she left"

Don't know if its the same now but when my kids where that age, If you do not allow your child to sign themselves out, they will have no sign out sheet, unless they made her sign out on the parental main sheet that is up by the door.....if that were the case, someone should have been fired.

Don't know about anyone else but thats why i was assuming.

Oh, ok...the way I took it was that she wasn't supposed to sign herself out, but she was allowed by the staff to do so.

Unfortunately, since the OP hasn't come back to answer questions, we may never know.

Oh, ok...the way I took it was that she wasn't supposed to sign herself out, but she was allowed by the staff to do so.

Unfortunately, since the OP hasn't come back to answer questions, we may never know.

I'm not going to assume that the camp staff has never ever made this mistake, but I do have to say that with the current protocol, it would be VERY difficult for such a mistake to take place. The children who are allowed to sign themselves out are in their own binder, with the names already printed up for each session. The kids whose parents must sign them in/out are printed in a different binder and this binder is kept with the other parent sign-in binders (for the younger age groups). With this system, if a child tries to sign out on their own, the counselor will look in the binder and see that the child's name is not printed in it - so there's no way they could sign themselves out. It's a pretty fool-proof system, and the counselors are very strict about these rules being followed (for obvious reasons).

For those of you who think the staff of Camp Carnival 'should' be fired if she made an error while performing her duties..........The next time you make an honest mistake at YOUR job I really hope you march right into your bosses office and DEMAND your pink slip because that really would be the right thing to do.....God knows we humans aren't allowed to make mistakes!!!!!!!! Some of you are unbelievable :rolleyes:

Law or not.........does not take a rocket scientist to know that is wrong:rolleyes:

For those of you who think the staff of Camp Carnival 'should' be fired if she made an error while performing her duties..........The next time you make an honest mistake at YOUR job I really hope you march right into your bosses office and DEMAND your pink slip because that really would be the right thing to do.....God knows we humans aren't allowed to make mistakes!!!!!!!! Some of you are unbelievable :rolleyes:

My DH works in the food/beverage manufacturing industry.

As sad as it sounds, mistakes that could cause people harm, even if it's one mistake...can get your azz fired.

Think about that the next time you eat or drink ANYTHING. You do so without thought because of strict enforcements. You don't worry when you pop a can of Pepsi or eat a Twinkie that the cleaning fluid they use in the plant or the oil used to lube the machines got into your food....

Making a mistake at some jobs is not a big deal...for others it is.

In the case of a child's welfare, the same strictness might/should apply.

Totally depends on the mistake;) All mistakes are not created equal..........

Law or not.........does not take a rocket scientist to no that is wrong:rolleyes:

:eek:

sounds like someone needs to update some laws in LA

leaving 5 and 6 year olds home alone is LEGAL anywhere????

I just don't believe it.......

At ten years old i wouldnt be sitting some place crying i would be searching for the pizza and the ice cream now i might be crying from the tummy ach i gave myself . Im the third child of four with a large cap between me and two older brother's so i was a little tougher and wiser at that age . We teach our kids what to do in case of a house fire and other dangers at home why do some parents feel the need to relax on that when they are on vacation

Archived