Bunch Of RCL Questions....

Ok, here's your scenario if the plane is on time:

Arrive at 12:30

Retrieve luggage. A minimum of 30 minutes. You take a train from the concourse to the baggage claim.

It is now 1:00

Car rental counter. 15 - 30 minutes.

It is now 1:30

Drive to the port. It's a 1 hour drive.

It's now 2:30

Drop off car and get to the port. A minimum of 30 minutes.

It is now 3:00

Keep in mind that these are minimum times if everything goes perfectly.

Just keep in mind one problem on the Beachline, which runs between the Airport and Port Canaveral, and they shut it down. It does happen quite often and there's no way around it.

I am not renting a car there will be a stretch limo already there waiting for us

But i see everyone's point and I am going to attempt to book an earlier flight, thank you!

haha good thing I checked first...my flight actually gets in at 11am, is that any better?

haha good thing I checked first...my flight actually gets in at 11am, is that any better?
Your flight is scheduled to get in at 11:00. If you have cruise insurance and want to take a chance, then go for it. I, personally, would never fly in the day of because so many things not within your control have to go almost perfectly in order for you to make your appointment, e.g., flight departing and landing on time, timely baggage retrieval, minimal traffic congestion, good weather, etc...

I fly a lot for work and, trust me, flights are more often late than on time. In my opinion, a scheduled arrival time of 11:00 is not enough of a buffer to make a 2:30 deadline if anything goes wrong. Save yourself unnecessary stress and potential heart-wrenching disappointment, and book an earlier flight. You'll be glad you did.

Well I guess it's just a risk that I am going to have to take, my plane tickets are non-refundable and difficult to change, I talked to my SO and we think we will be ok, as long as everything flows along, it's gonna be risky but we'll c how it goes...thank you for all of your input, I do appreciate it and I will call the airline to see if it is possible to fly in the night before, cross your fingers for me for that one!! Thanks again!

Well I guess it's just a risk that I am going to have to take, my plane tickets are non-refundable and difficult to change, I talked to my SO and we think we will be ok, as long as everything flows along, it's gonna be risky but we'll c how it goes...thank you for all of your input, I do appreciate it and I will call the airline to see if it is possible to fly in the night before, cross your fingers for me for that one!! Thanks again!

Are you flying an airline that you fly often? Because my DH is a platinum level with Delta, he has had success calling the airline to change his flights. He has done everything from change to an earlier day (similar to what you are doing) to changing to a later day (sometimes as much as 3 days later). It has usually cost him an extra $50, but for him it was worth it so that he could get home earlier or finish up the business that he needed to finish. If you are part of a frequent flier club, that can prove advantageous when changing flights. You may have to contact someone within the frequent flier program to get the change made - I'm not sure on that point.

Good luck - hope you are able to fly in a day early. In Orlando, you always have to consider those "pop up" showers that always happen this time of year. They usually aren't very long, but sometimes they sure can wreak havoc on travel plans.

HI all!

Geri ~ good point. They will get you to your next port BUT if it's the Western Caribbean route there's a sea day followed by Labadee, neither of which would qualify IMHO.

When we missed our sailaway in Hawaii due to 2 mech. problems then a crew change in Minn./St. Paul, we caught up at the next island but it was so tiring plus we missed the shore excursion then had to attend the drill ~ not a good start to a vacation.

Do what you can to get off to a good start.

Ciao.

~Jo~ :)

Knowing the Orlando airport and the delays I've experienced there, I would offer some tips:

1. Try to sit as close to the front of the airplane as possible so you can get off sooner. This can save 10-15 minutes depending on the flight and that time could be critical.

2. Have your rental car reserved ahead of time and prepay on-line. This will avoid often looooong rental car lines at that airport and may permit you to go right to your car, depending on which agency you choose.

3. If only one of you needs to drive the rental, one can go to get the car and the other one can get your luggage.

4. If you are taking a highway with tolls, use a prepay option, if available in FL, to avoid lines at toll booths. We have often been delayed at toll booths.

Have a great cruise!

Yes, that and the fact that you have a limo reserved makes it much more faovrable. I personally always fly in 1-2 days before a cruise, but at least with the new information you provided you do have some wiggle room so that if you run into a delay, you should still make it (unless there is a lengthy delay). Be sure to verify with the limo company the day before!

Have a nice cruise. :)

We few in a few years ago the afternoon before our cruise from your area and the pilot didn't show up for work! We sat on the tarmac for 45 minutes while they searched for another pilot. We finally took off and I'm mentally counting time and not worried but when we got to the airport to land we had lost our "place in line" to get taxied in and had to wait another hour and a half to get off the plane. We went from expecting to get in at 5 to like after 8 I think it was. If it would have been cruise day we would have been screwed royally. I've only flown in the day off once and we booked with RCCL and had no choice. We won't do that again because it just made us all nervous wrecks.

Best of luck. Hate to say it but even a limo may get stuck in traffic.

And we've waited an hour for our reserved shuttles to show up before too.

We have all read horror stories about people being denied boarding after 90 minutes before the cruise. I would definitely try to be there well ahead of that cut-off time.

Archived