Advice please regarding Livorno/Pisa and Florence

Hi All

I'm hoping that with your help and advice, I'll be able to decide what best todo. I've booked a cruise from Livorno to Durban. Flight info was not available when I booked but have now discovered that they intend to fly me to Nice on the morning of departure and then bus us all the way to Livorno ( 3 or 4 hours I'm guessing?). Anyway, i've got the option of changing to cruise only and arranging my own flights. it seems the closest airport that I can fly to from the UK is Pisa. My dilemma is fly out 1 o2 days before and then stay in Pisa, Florence or Livorno. I'm leaning towards going from Pisa airport to Florence and spending 2 nights there and travelling to Livorno by train on the morning of the cruise. How easy a journey is Florence to Livorno by train with luggage? How far is Livorno train station from the port?

My alternative thoughts are to leave Florence for another visit (land based holiday) and just go straight from Pisa airport to Livorno and spend the night there. Is there much to do in Livorno? Or perhaps a stay in Pisa would be the better option?? See what I mean - having difficulty deciding! All opinions very welcome.

Thanks

My experience with Livorno is limited to one port day, but since no one else has replied, I'll chime in until the more knowledgeable get here. First of all, anything you do will be better than the Nice plan they had for you!

If you decide on a land stay, Florence definitely has the most to do. Pisa has a few things. As far as I could tell from researching this port and from the cruiseline's guide map and port talk, there is absolutely nothing notable to do in Livorno itself.

We took the train from Livorno to Florence and back, and I would say it's "medium" difficulty with luggage. Not as easy as the Leonardo Express where they have luggage stands, but not impossible. I would try to take the train at an early or late hour if traveling with luggage. When we caught the 7:30 to Florence, it was 3/4 empty. Coming back at 2:27 was standing room only for the first few stops.

Livorno train station is a couple of miles from the port, and there were absolutely no taxis when we got off the train. If possible, prearrange transportation or have a taxi number to call. We took the #1 bus, which does go to the port and did have room for luggage... but you are not allowed to walk in the port, so you will need some kind of taxi or car at some point.

Hope this helps!

Hi All

I'm hoping that with your help and advice, I'll be able to decide what best todo. I've booked a cruise from Livorno to Durban. Flight info was not available when I booked but have now discovered that they intend to fly me to Nice on the morning of departure and then bus us all the way to Livorno ( 3 or 4 hours I'm guessing?). Anyway, i've got the option of changing to cruise only and arranging my own flights. it seems the closest airport that I can fly to from the UK is Pisa. My dilemma is fly out 1 o2 days before and then stay in Pisa, Florence or Livorno. I'm leaning towards going from Pisa airport to Florence and spending 2 nights there and travelling to Livorno by train on the morning of the cruise. How easy a journey is Florence to Livorno by train with luggage? How far is Livorno train station from the port?

My alternative thoughts are to leave Florence for another visit (land based holiday) and just go straight from Pisa airport to Livorno and spend the night there. Is there much to do in Livorno? Or perhaps a stay in Pisa would be the better option?? See what I mean - having difficulty deciding! All opinions very welcome.

Thanks

If you are planning to take a train the day of your cruise, please have a backup plan if there is a strike, which will shut down rail service.

It is very easy to take the train from Florence to Livorno, but you will have to handle your luggage yourself; you will get no assistance. The train station in Livorno is a quick cab ride away from the port.

Can you just fly into Florence, and skip Pisa altogether?

You may want to post your question in the cruise air forum. If you post your exact travel dates, departure and arrival cities, etc., you will probably receive some very concrete suggestions.

I'm leaning towards going from Pisa airport to Florence and spending 2 nights there and travelling to Livorno by train on the morning of the cruise. How easy a journey is Florence to Livorno by train with luggage? How far is Livorno train station from the port?

Thanks

I guess that I can speak with a certain degree of wisdom since I lived half way between Pisa and Livorno for three years (and have been back many times since). Right off the top, I'd go with your plan to go to Florence for a couple of nights and then to Livorno on cruise day.

Regarding luggage. First of all, read my train site (link in sig line) for discussion about luggage. Second, how much and how big? You are going on a cruise, not going away for six or more months. You are probably packing too much. As to big, I would not recommend any bag larger than 26" long. You would actually be better off with two 21-24" bags than one larger one. Maybe a small backpack to boot. Smaller bags are easier to roll down train aisles.

How far your ship will be docked from the train station depends upon the cruise line. If you are departing on MSC, then you'll probably be close to the main port area near Piazza Grande. Taxis may or may not be readily available. Don't see any, ask the man at the newstand - they can be very helpful if you are nice to them. You may have to wait a bit but one will come. Just give yourself some wiggle room.

Don't worry about strikes regardless of whatsome may seem to think is a daily occurence - they are not. Further, there are certain trains between Florence and Livorno that are guaranteed to run even if there is a strike. Need more info on this, there is an email link on my web site.

Archived