Qustions about Victoria and Vancouver travel by BUS

I noticed a two hour delay between the time we get off the cruise ship in Victoria...and the time the Bus tours are available. I also noticed the bus tours require a shuttle to downtown, and then another long wait to board the bus.

I was thinking about taking public transportation. An all day Pass is 7 dollars per person...and easily the cheapest way to travel...but I'm just not sure of the route. I am thinking of using a simular tactic in Vancouver as well.

I have some questions about the bus routes and maybe a local can help me fact check these plans a bit:

Butchart Gardens, 800 Benvenuto Avenue.

From downtown, take the #75 or #76 directly there. (From Douglas Street)

(Is there any shuttle that can get me from Ogden Point to the #75 or #76?

I understand that the Butterfly Gardens can also be accessed via this route?)

Vancouver Grouse Mountain (From Canada Place)

1. Walk to West Waterfront Road turn left.

2. Enter Ferry Terminal and take the 998 Ferry (Sea Bus Northbound) to Lonsdale Quay

3. From Lonsdale Quay, take bus 236 to Grouse Mountain Skyride terminal.

(I understand that the Capilano suspension bridge can also be accessed via this route?)

I can help a bit with Victoria. I am assuming from your question that you are in port for

a full day (morning to evening). If so, the local bus is doable. There is a shuttle from the

cruise ship terminal to downtown that gets you close to the start point for the #75.

However, the earliest 75's to Butchart Gardens go from the Royal Oak Exchange so you would

have to take a 6 or 30/31 to Royal Oak and transfer.

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/explore/attractions.cfm

(scroll down to Butchart Gardens)

The same route can be used for Butterfly Gardens, listed just below.

The bus to and from Butchart Gardens will take over an hour each way but they are

fairly frequent during the day to get you back to downtown with the stop at Butterfly.

I will leave it to others to talk to you about Vancouver.

You are correct about Vancouver; the only concern about Victoria is your time as most cruise ship visits in Victoria do not provide the time to use transit to Butchart Gardens.

Thanks for the info everybody.

I will be in Victoria from 12pm to 12am... So I think I should be pretty good.

I will look for the shuttle from Ogden to downtown.

Does anybody know if the shuttle will take me back...and the time the last shuttle leaves? I would have looked it up myself...but I just couldn't find any information on it...

There is a bus stop at the port just outside the gate to the left on the same side of the street as the port. Do not cross the street.You can catch the 30 or 31 bus there and it will take you to royal oak exchange. There you can transfer to the bus that goes to the garden #75. We did this two weeks ago and it worked fine. In fact many people who took the shuttle to town were told when they got there that it was to late for them to continue to the garden. We did get in late to port because of tides and wind not until three.

I noticed a two hour delay between the time we get off the cruise ship in Victoria...and the time the Bus tours are available. I also noticed the bus tours require a shuttle to downtown, and then another long wait to board the bus.

I was thinking about taking public transportation. An all day Pass is 7 dollars per person...and easily the cheapest way to travel...but I'm just not sure of the route. I am thinking of using a simular tactic in Vancouver as well.

I have some questions about the bus routes and maybe a local can help me fact check these plans a bit:

Butchart Gardens, 800 Benvenuto Avenue.

From downtown, take the #75 or #76 directly there. (From Douglas Street)

(Is there any shuttle that can get me from Ogden Point to the #75 or #76?

I understand that the Butterfly Gardens can also be accessed via this route?)

It's pretty straightforward. if you want to buy a day pass, the nearest place is on Superior Street (you can't buy day passes on the bus). As for the buses, exit the cruise terminal and on your left there's a bus stop. Take any #30 or #31 bus which will take you to the "Royal Oak Exchange" north of town (tell the driver of the 30/31 you want Royal Oak to get to Butchart, he'll remind you when you're there and where to stand for the next bus). There you can transfer to a #75 bus. Bus tickets are $2.25 and good for 60 minutes, so one ticket will get you from downtown to Butchart Gardens.

Yes, Butterfly Gardens is about a mile before Butchart, at the Corner of Keating Cross Road and West Saanich Road.

Hopefully this map helps out:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.419973,-123.38891&spn=0.034519,0.090981&z=14

Vancouver Grouse Mountain (From Canada Place)

1.Walk to West Waterfront Road turn left.

2.Enter Ferry Terminal and take the 998 Ferry (Sea Bus Northbound) to Lonsdale Quay

3.From Lonsdale Quay, take bus 236 to Grouse Mountain Skyride terminal.

(I understand that the Capilano suspension bridge can also be accessed via this route?)

At Vancouver, get out of Canada Place, and walk to the building 2 buildings to your left. This is Waterfront station. Go in and follow the signs for SEABUS. You'll need to buy a ticket at a ticket machine ($3.75 - 2 zones), and get on Seabus (every 15 mins). On the North side of the seabus crossing, transfer to a #236 bus to Grouse Mountain. The Capilano suspension bridge is right along this route, a couple of miles before you get to Grouse Mountain.

And this map should show you what you need to know:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.29636,-123.106956&spn=0.067841,0.181961&z=13

Thanks for the help Everyone!

It's pretty straightforward. if you want to buy a day pass, the nearest place is on Superior Street (you can't buy day passes on the bus). As for the buses, exit the cruise terminal and on your left there's a bus stop. Take any #30 or #31 bus which will take you to the "Royal Oak Exchange" north of town (tell the driver of the 30/31 you want Royal Oak to get to Butchart, he'll remind you when you're there and where to stand for the next bus). There you can transfer to a #75 bus. Bus tickets are $2.25 and good for 60 minutes, so one ticket will get you from downtown to Butchart Gardens.

Yes, Butterfly Gardens is about a mile before Butchart, at the Corner of Keating Cross Road and West Saanich Road.

Hopefully this map helps out:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.419973,-123.38891&spn=0.034519,0.090981&z=14

At Vancouver, get out of Canada Place, and walk to the building 2 buildings to your left. This is Waterfront station. Go in and follow the signs for SEABUS. You'll need to buy a ticket at a ticket machine ($3.75 - 2 zones), and get on Seabus (every 15 mins). On the North side of the seabus crossing, transfer to a #236 bus to Grouse Mountain. The Capilano suspension bridge is right along this route, a couple of miles before you get to Grouse Mountain.

And this map should show you what you need to know:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.29636,-123.106956&spn=0.067841,0.181961&z=13

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help..travel by bus in both places went off without a hitch.

The bus drivers were very friendly and helpful in both areas...but particularly in Victoria. Both American and Canadian currency were accepted on the buses we took, and paper currency was okay too.

Thanks for all your help..travel by bus in both places went off without a hitch.

The bus drivers were very friendly and helpful in both areas...but particularly in Victoria. Both American and Canadian currency were accepted on the buses we took, and paper currency was okay too.

I'm glad to hear it went well.

Archived