Azamara air from Rome

ptcellen

Has anyone had air transportation from Azamara on a cruise that ends in Rome to Newark or Atlanta? Since it looks like non-stop flights all leave around 9:45 or 10:45 AM did you have any problems in making the flight or did Azamara provide a one stop flight?

Has anyone had air transportation from Azamara on a cruise that ends in Rome to Newark or Atlanta? Since it looks like non-stop flights all leave around 9:45 or 10:45 AM did you have any problems in making the flight or did Azamara provide a one stop flight?

No, but how do you know they will give you non-stop flight?

We don't know. We have just been looking into possible flights so that we might request an air deviation (we're entitled to one through Captains Club).

That is definateky a nice perk that RCCL/Celebrity/Azamara has that HAL does not offer.

We don't know. We have just been looking into possible flights so that we might request an air deviation (we're entitled to one through Captains Club).

As you are entitled to a deviation without a fee - why not just ask for it and tell them which flights you would like?

We're not sure that the flights we want (about 9:45 or 10:45) are possible to do. That's why we asked if anyone has had flights booked by Azamara that left that early in the morning. Even with doing a walk off with luggage, I think those flights (the only non-stops) are way too early.

Actually, you do pay for a deviation even though you may be a captain club member. They waive one fee, but then add on another. Would have cost us $254 pp to change our flights.

That really isn't a fee. That is an increase in fare as dictated by the supplier. Many flights can be changed without increase - sadly often not for Europe.

Yesterday, we were actually able to book air on our own for a savings of $1934.10 over Azamara's air. That will more than pay for hotels on each end and our own transfers. Flying from the West Coast to Europe can be $$$. Now we can relax and not worry that we would have a miserable flight and arrive the day of.

We saved $400 by canceling the Azamara air two days ago and got non-stops Toronto to Rome return with the port transfers included. Much better than the scary one hour connection in Heathrow that Azamara had us on.

The value of a very good travel agent who checked alternatives for us every day.:D

Please, be aware that the current economic situation is changing many flight schedules to Europe.

At the time I booked my Azamara cruise last Sept, I could have taken Azamara's air, but opted to try to use frequent flier miles because I wanted to add 2 days onto each end of our cruise, and so wouldn't be using the free transfers included in the Azamara air price. Plus the Azamara air added $1000 pp to the price, and I knew buying tickets would be much less (currently approx. $535 for coach).

In January, I was able to get 2 free coach tickets on non-stops into Rome and out of Barcelona for our Nov 22 cruise, and was able to change these to 2 business class seats in early Feb. I was thrilled!

In March or April, the Barcelona flight was downsized to a smaller plane, so my seats were changed, but still in business class.

Well, just last evening, our Thursday flight to Rome was completely eliminated, and American now only flies a nonstop to Rome 4 days a week (Tues, Wed, Fri, Sun - our cruise sails on Sunday). Luckily, I was able to get the seats moved to the Friday nonstop. Now I will have only 1 day in Rome, but will still be able to arrive a day early - something I consider an invaluable safety net. I have looked into non-stop options for Thursday, but they are on AA partners and will arrive late Friday pm with long connection times in dreaded Heathrow, so not worth the hassle.

So, please be aware of what is happening to flight schedules, particularly if you are going in the off-season months.

Thank you for your information of the flights being canceled. We still are keeping Azamara air as we know they have to get us to Athens. It was $1000 dollars when we first booked, but the price has dropped, so they gave us a refund. Our cruise also leaves on a Sunday. We are flying out on a Sat., but if they can't get us out on Sat., they will have to fly us out a day earlier at their expense. We will see when we are 60 day out when they give us the flight information. If we are not happy with the flights, we are captin club members, so we can change the flights at no charge.

Will let you know what happens.

Ellen

Ellen,

I don't know what month your cruise is, but you did say you were flying out on a Saturday, so I assume that means you are arriving on Sunday - the day of your cruise. If you are taking Azamara's air, then you will have their transfers, which is a good thing, because it is a bit of a trip from the Athens airport to the port. Hopefully, traffic will not be so bad as it was when we arrived on a Friday in mid-May 2 years ago. We did come in a day early to see a bit of Athens before our cruise.

Best of luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for all the information. We are on the Nov. 8th Holyland cruise. We are flying out of Atlanta, and our friends are out of New Jersey. How long would you say the trip is from the airport in Athens until you get to the port?

I'm not worried,as Azamara hopefully will get us there without any problems. Thanks for the heads up.:)

Ellen

Archived