What to see in singapore

hammsbear

Stopping at Singapore for the day and could use some hints as what to see. Want to do stuff on our own this day because we will have done many tours before. Heard Chinatown was worth visiting. How far is Chinatown from terminal? What transportation is recommended? Thanks.

I was in Singapore last Oct 24 while on the Diamond Princess. I was sending out a daily cruise newsletter and this is a part of my newsletters from our visit to Singapore.

Today we docked at Singapore at 9 AM and we were off the ship at 9:30 AM. We were docked in a very large container port so they had to provide us with free shuttle bus service into town. The shuttle took approximately 35 minutes and dropped us off at the DSF Galleria Store on Scotts St. We were joined by Joanne and Bill, who we had traveled with from Bangkok to the port. We had planned on taking a taxi over to where the hop-on/hop- off bus had a pick up point but the 4 of us ended up hiring a taxi driver to take us around to all the places we wanted to go. We had him for 3 hours and saw a good part of Singapore. We started off by going to the highest point of the city and then we went to the Battle Box which was the British Command Post during World War II. This made me happy since I like military things. We then went to China Town to do a little shopping.

Let me tell you all what I did to my son today. I have been working on this for a month and I wanted to keep it secret right up to the last minute. After touring the city we ended up at the Long bar in Raffles Hotel and I treated my son to a Singapore Sling. For all of you that don’t know, the Long bar is where the Singapore Sling was created. I really felt good about being able to do this for him and he said he enjoyed it. He knew about the Singapore Sling but did not know the history behind it so now he can always say he was at the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel drinking a Singapore Sling (actually, I had two).

The driver, dropped us all off at the Raffles Hotel. This hotel is 100 years old and had real fancy door men to open the car doors. They were wearing very colorful uniforms and you could tell this was a very fancy hotel. I would say this was the highlight of our day in Singapore as it was a once in a life-time opportunity being able to sit at the Long Bar drinking Singapore Sling(s). The only problem is I do not drink so I had a sprite and Jim had two Singapore Slings. We did have a picture taken of us so I hope it came out and Jim can attach it to this email.

We were there overnight in Feb and for us highlights were Night Safari (not sure if this is workable for you) and the Orchid Gardens. And, of course, we had a Singapore Sling at Raffles. Singapore is very hot and humid, so dont plan too much.

--------------------

Helen

Hi,

Your shuttle bus from the cruise terminal will probably drop you in the city near Orchard Road. From there you can walk along Orchard Road shops to the City Hall MRT station(the underground railway system). From there you can catch a train to Chinatown which is worth visiting, especially the Cultural Heritage Centre in the middle. It is also a short walk from there to go to Little India for another different experience. It is very cheap to travel on the MRT and you can buy a card which can be topped up. Go to the Uniquely Singapore website for more details on this great way to travel. A train comes by every 7- 10 minutes and the different lines are colour coded with arrivals announced in English. Plus it is airconditioned.

Raffles is beautiful but the Singapore sling is a bit pricey. The gardens on Mt Faber are lovely as is the zoo but you won't be able to do everything if you are only there for one day.

You can also do a bumboat tour that you can catch from Clark Quay which takes you along the Singapore River past the Merlion. It is very pleasant and not too expensive.

It really does depend on how much time you have in Singapore and your priorities. Chinatown is definitely worth a visit and we go back there each time. Have some Tiger Beer in a Hawker Food Court in the area. In the humidity it is refreshing.:)

We have been to Singapore many times over the years - often as a stop over - but in March we spent 6 days there. One place we found very interesting was the Asian Civilisations Museum (have hyperlinked it) which looks at the people and history of Singapore and includes a lot on the Peranaken culture (often but not always the Straits Chinese). You can pick up a bumboat tour from just near it as well as it is on the river.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived