Shopping at Icy Strait Point

Look2Sea

Wondering about shopping at Icy Strait Point

Shopping time at other ports will be limited due to excursions.

Icy Strait Point is our last port.

Feedback on Icy Point shopping?

Is the shopping just at Icy Strait port area?

Or do they also have shopping in Hoonah?

In Icy Strait there are a few small shops- one I remember benefited the local school. Not a lot of shopping.

In Hoonah- there is a little "general store" type of shop- and a few small stores- again nothing like the shopping you will find in Skagway or Juneau.

-JC in CA

I wouldn't save my shopping for ISP! It has some shopping at the port (plenty for me), but not the rows of tshirt shacks, jewelry stores and knick knack shops that you will find in other ports. It also only allows 1 ship at a time in port so you also won't have wall to wall people! In answer to your other thread of 'where is Hoonah and what to do', we walked the mile into Hoonah along the gravel path close to the water. We stopped in the trading post which is a combo grocery and souvenier shop. We walked a little farther and went into the Office Bar where we ate scrumptious fresh dungeness crab. We walked a little farther to Grandma Nina's and was extremely fortunate that Keith of TECKK Outfitters was able to take us on a 3 hour bear tour. (this was several years ago and he books up early now!) We loved ISP so much since finding it on our cruise that we have been back twice and plan to go again in August to go fishing, whale watching, bear watching and just relaxing in that beautiful little village.

Thank you everyone. :)

GranMona,

Of cruise ports, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Icy Strait Point,

In planning shopping time, I am thinking that Ketchikan and Skagway would be best shopping ports. What do you think?

What is Grandma Nina's?

Thank you everyone. :)

GranMona,

Of cruise ports, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Icy Strait Point,

In planning shopping time, I am thinking that Ketchikan and Skagway would be best shopping ports. What do you think?

What is Grandma Nina's?

Yes, Skagway would be my choice, although ISP does have some unique items. It is well worth an hour of strolling around the the old converted cannery. Grandma Nina's is a coffee shop owned by Keith and Edna Skaflestad (TECKK Outfitters). They have sandwiches, hamburger, hot dogs, drinks and ice cream cones. Lots of the locals hang out there and you can watch Hoonah Harbor to see fishing boats come in. Hoonah is the real Alaska.

Here are some photos of the ISP port. What you see is what you get here. It's small but I loved these stop, especially the whales. It was peaceful and quiet walking along the water too. The school runs a little book shop there which is a nice place to buy a souvenir Alaska book.

http://familytravelfun.com/icy-strait-point-alaska.html

Ketchican, Juneau, and Skagway have alot of the same stores. They are there pretty much for the cruisers souvenir shopping. ISP doesn't have any of these "cheaper" shops. They have several shops in the old cannery and a few small places in Hoonah but nothing like the other towns. ISP/Hoonah is more for the scenery and a real taste of an Alaskan village. I personally loved it, but then I don't count shopping as my first priority.

Archived