Uxmal tour questions

We are doing the Uxmal tour and I was wondering if they give you bottled water on the bus? Some of the tours give you water when you get to the site, some don't. Also what does the box lunch contain? I read on some review not to eat the sandwich because it is not kept cold. Is there time to buy lunch at the site?

Is there time to do shopping at the pier when you get back? Or time before you leave in the morning? I have seen different starting times for the tour.

Thanks in advance! :)

We did a tour to Uxmal using a private guide (much better in my opinion). There is a very long pier in Progresso that contains a few shops at the end of it. There is a little shopping available in the village of Progresso along the waterfront. We bought some t-shirts from vendors outside of Uxmal. There aren't as many vendors in Uxmal as there are at Chichen Itza. However, we thought Uxmal was more impressive than Chichen Itza.

Too bad you aren't going to Merida which is near by. There is a downtown market that is great for shopping.

Private tours are usually better but when there is a time element involved we just like not having to worry about getting back to the ship on time.

Could whoever moved this please move it to the Progresso board, that is the port that offers the Uxmal tours.

We are doing the Uxmal tour and I was wondering if they give you bottled water on the bus? Some of the tours give you water when you get to the site, some don't. Also what does the box lunch contain? I read on some review not to eat the sandwich because it is not kept cold. Is there time to buy lunch at the site?

Is there time to do shopping at the pier when you get back? Or time before you leave in the morning? I have seen different starting times for the tour.

Thanks in advance! :)

We booked through Carnival, just b/c we didn't want to take any chances with getting back late. Through the Carnival excursion, you are given bottled water with your "box lunch." However, I wouldn't really call it a lunch. When we were there in March, it was a dinner roll (I'm really not exagerating) with some form of meat and cheese. I don't know about not eating it b/c it's not kept cold, but it certainly wasn't good. You also get a small banana or some other fruit, and a bag of local "chips". In my opinion, plan on bringing some granola bars and snacking until you get back to the ship and go to the Lido deck. Oh, and the water isn't kept cold so don't expect anything wonderful. With that said, there's a little restaurant at the entrance to the ruins where you can get some food, beer, and bottled water or pop.

Sorry that was so long, but I hope it gives you a little more info. We loved the ruins and they were definitely worth the trip!

Uxmal is a great choice.

On the Carnival excursion they provided drinks and "lunch".

But the lunch was a piece of fruit and a small sandwich, like ham and cheese, etc....

We did take the drink, but passed on the sandwich, as they had mayo, but were not kept cool during the drive.

There is an ice cream shop and some snacks at Uxmal welcome center, but when we went last year, they only took pesos.

So as long as you exchange some cash for pesos at the purser's desk, you will have access to cold drinks, snacks and ice cream at Uxmal.

Bill

Thanks for the info. Good to know about needing pesos, I am sure my 16 year old grandson will need to eat something, you know how growing boys can be. I do not like mayo so I won't eat the sandwich and will suggest that no one does. Don't want to be sick on the last 2 days of the cruise.

You would think they could come up with better ideas for a box lunch or at least get a cooler with ice.

Did you remeber what time you got back to the ship?

When we were there in March, you were able to purchase goods with US dollars, but if you didn't specify what you wanted your change in, they would return your change in pesos. In our case, we got back to the ship about 2:30 or 3:00 b/c they also booked people from the Ecstasy (that was in port the same day as us, just leaving about an hour or hour and 1/2 earlier) on the Uxmal tour and they had to return to their ship earlier. We found that we were gone for right around the 6 1/2 hours that was said to be the duration when we booked the excursion.

Archived