This Can't Be Normal.......

sail7seas

I have been "twitterpated" about my next cruise since I booked it in April 2009 and it is STILL 111 days, 2 hours and 16 minutes away!! Does that countdown clock on my desktop tell you anything!!!! My guest bed is already covered with "can't forget" stuff! Wooohoooo.....it IS a sickness I guess!

Sail7Seas,

I cannot wait for your news on your favorite ship. I'd like to know about the Piano bar as well. We really enjoyed it on the Eurodam. I know we've talked about this before but if you are able to give menu information that would be great. I would be interested if a little of the food is more regional cuisine.

Rabbitlady

Sailing the Maasdam soon for 2 weeks

We do love Maasdam and have from the first we saw her at her Dedication Party in Boston brand new from making the crossing out of the shipyard when new.

But, I have to also remind how much we also love 'our' Noordam.

I never pick one over the other....... just like parents love all their kids, for us, we love Noordam and Maasdam the best of 'em all. :D

Sure looks like Quebec to me. :)

And she does look gorgeous...... (ship :D, not truck!... Okay, they truck looks pretty okay too. :) )

Mind if we ask how you were permitted to get your truck so close to the ship? That area is usually blocked to all but walkers and bicycles.

Thanks for the pretty view.

Since you live near or in Boston, you don't have to worry about the weight in the luggage. Could you put me in your luggage? I promise to be VERY quiet so I won't be detected (until we leave port).

'Never been on the Maasdam, but I will be for 35 days July 25th !:D:D:D

I agree that the Noordam is terrific....It is my ship, but I do let others sail on it. I hope they all appreciate my generosity. :)

That's so sweet you thought of me.

And, yes...... We do know Hadi. Of course, there may be more than one. :) The one we know is delightful!

Sail, you are welcome.

And actually, in December we were told that there is only one Hadi working in the Maasdam dining room. Otherwise, you are correct that there is no way for sure that we are talking about the same man. Luckily, there are so many great crew members on board to create that "problem."

I remember my first cruise on a different line (now no longer in business). They had a sign just inside the the ship visible to passengers arriving via the gangway. It said "Welcome Home." It was fitting then, and I think it can be fitting on HAL much of the time.

We know what we like, and we enjoy returning to the same ships over and over. Is it really that different from having a summer vacation home by the beach? Or a regular get away in the mountains, or wherever? A ship can be our home away from home. So no, I don't think it is a sickness. (OK, so maybe I hope I am not sick as well.) Which might mean I am in denial. :p Or then again, DeNile is a river in Africa...

Sail,

I know that Captain "Andre" is supposed to back from vacation very soon . . . I think the week you are on the Maasdam or the next week. If that is correct, please tell him hello from the McClungs and that Cameron and Werin look forward to seeing their friend from last year in a few weeks.

Please don't apologize for getting things ready only a week out. I am already getting things ready now for our July 4th trip. I have ordered prizes for our M&G which I am excited about and getting name tags together. We really didn't have an M&G last year did we? Actually, I guess we we did -- multiple times, since I believe it was just us on the ship if I remember correctly.

We thought we would try to aft cabin this time (220). We haven't made the jump to the suites yet, as I think once we get started on that we will never stop. Gotta save some luxury for later, right? !

Loved your comment on Lisa's Live post about creating space for newcomers. Very generous of you to share your Maasdam. In fact our M&G cruise is chock full of newcomers to HAL whom are there to check out the beautiful Maasdam. Some from other cruise lines and many first time HAL folks. We will do our best to show them a glorious time!

We will really miss seeing you and know you will have a wonderful two weeks!

I just booked the Eurodam for jan 9, and now must figure how out how to keep my feet on the floor until then SO SO SO SO...i spent the last two days putting all my pix in an album from 10 day Maasdam last yr to St. Lucia, Barbados etc....AND watching my videos of past cruises...sicko, i think so, and delighted to be so.

I for sure love the ABC...always be cruising.

Oh I wish you wouldnt of asked, but lets just say I'm down on that pier quite a bit,

I have over the years come to love this vessel as well, and having read through many posts I have of course learned it is one of your favorites (Beloved Maasdam), I do agree the crew are fantastic and very polite and friendly, I also enjoy reading Lafenvegas live from threads. and debates about trays, smoking, ect.

Over time I seem to enjoy the reading on this board. (However I dont post very often)

So kinda just bumped into this thread, and posted a pic.

(I'd give you info about Quebec, but I think you have been here enough that by now you must know most of your favorite spots)

We went on Eurodam in march, cause it was new, but it would of def been Maasdam as our alternate choice.

if for some strange reason, your walking about on the pier and see the same truck, It would be a great pleasure to just say hello!

Have a great cruise

Sail,

I know that Captain "Andre" is supposed to back from vacation very soon . . . I think the week you are on the Maasdam or the next week. If that is correct, please tell him hello from the McClungs and that Cameron and Werin look forward to seeing their friend from last year in a few weeks.

Captain Draper is currently aboard but he leaves the day we do, June 27. That day, Captain Andre boards and we will have the pleasure of sailing with him in August. We're lucky we have the chance to sail with two such great Captains on our wonderful Maasdam this summer. Also, current Hotel Manager, Douglas Hernandez, leaves the same day and HM Firmain van Walle returns. Again, we are fortunate to sail with each this summer. :) Very special.

Please don't apologize for getting things ready only a week out. I am already getting things ready now for our July 4th trip. I have ordered prizes for our M&G which I am excited about and getting name tags together. We really didn't have an M&G last year did we? Actually, I guess we we did -- multiple times, since I believe it was just us on the ship if I remember correctly.

We thought we would try to aft cabin this time (220). We haven't made the jump to the suites yet, as I think once we get started on that we will never stop. Gotta save some luxury for later, right? !

Loved your comment on Lisa's Live post about creating space for newcomers. Very generous of you to share your Maasdam. In fact our M&G cruise is chock full of newcomers to HAL whom are there to check out the beautiful Maasdam. Some from other cruise lines and many first time HAL folks. We will do our best to show them a glorious time!

We will really miss seeing you and know you will have a wonderful two weeks!

VERY, very sorry we miss you by such a brief time. We would have loved to sail with you again. Have a wonderful time and best regards to you all. :) We promise to leave everything in good order for you.

Oh I wish you wouldnt of asked, but lets just say I'm down on that pier quite a bit,

I have over the years come to love this vessel as well, and having read through many posts I have of course learned it is one of your favorites (Beloved Maasdam), I do agree the crew are fantastic and very polite and friendly, I also enjoy reading Lafenvegas live from threads. and debates about trays, smoking, ect.

Over time I seem to enjoy the reading on this board. (However I dont post very often)

So kinda just bumped into this thread, and posted a pic.

(I'd give you info about Quebec, but I think you have been here enough that by now you must know most of your favorite spots)

We went on Eurodam in march, cause it was new, but it would of def been Maasdam as our alternate choice.

if for some strange reason, your walking about on the pier and see the same truck, It would be a great pleasure to just say hello!

Have a great cruise

Thanks, Wilson qbc.

I'm sorry for asking an uncomfortable question. Please forgive.

It would be our pleasure to meet you.

We will be in Quebec (as you know :) ) on Friday and then again Sunday as we are staying for b-to-b. I will most definitely look for your truck and hope to meet you at least briefly. We adore our stays in your very beautiful city.

We do have favorite spots and have decided it will be our favorite French food for lunch on Friday and a great Italian spot we love for lunch on Sunday. ;) I'd mention where but being selfish am afraid it might load up the places and we won't get a table. :eek:

Sail I think it is totally normal to get so excited :D ;)

And while we have cruise a lot recently each one of them we were getting extremely excited for. I know it will feel just so darn good to be back home on your Maasdam :)

Sail, it's so nice and "normal" that you're excited about yout upcoming cruise on your favorite ship. You'll have to let us all know how it is to go "trayless" and what plans you work out for your anniversary on the next cruise.

Are you still taking those new trays with you?

We are so looking forward to our Maasdam trip Aug 30th. Having just finished 14 days on the Veendam I can personally speak to the excitement "issue". Don't even try to get over it!

After 14 days trayless... I gained only 2.5 pounds! (This is a really low number for me) My DH gained nothing! There was quite a lot of talk about the ship seeing a lot less wasted food and a sizable savings in food costs since adopting this no tray trend. Folks often have eyes bigger than their tummies. So many times I chose my "A list" of favorites thinking I would return for the other goodies. More times than not I simply did not need or want to return as I was truly satisfied.

The crew were fantastic in assisting those with mobility issues. Beverage service cart brought the morning coffee refills with a smile. We really think HAL may have stumbled onto a good green idea here... They save green money & we save calories!

I am already so ready to try the Massdam for the first time.

Jan

We are so looking forward to our Maasdam trip Aug 30th

Jan.... :) I hope you check your calendar as we sail Maasdam on August 29, 2009. Hope to see you aboard.

How can it be normal for an adult person, who has cruised dozens of times, has cruised the very beautiful Maasdam many times to be as excited to be returning to that great ship as I am. Even DH is admitting to be just a little eager.

I've already started packing for a cruise a week away and am counting down the days. :D DH teases me I pack for three days and then call United Van Lines. One would think I would have learned how to travel light but no way. :D

I still get as excited about upcoming cruises as I did for our first few. This has to be an incurable disease?

Should I worry?

Not to worry Sail; It's definitely is an incurable disease but not life threatening!...I've been that way my whole life..Even when traveling on business, would get excited before the trip was even booked...Never had enough sleep the two last weeks before any trip..Always made a list & revised it 10 times, but still would get up in the middle of the night to add or subtract something..

Travel light, don't know what that means? Of all people I should know better, but still take my many pairs of shoes, accessories, etc for each outfit..:o I'm the compulsive list maker & packer! DH attempts to omit things & hide them, but I always find them & pack them! For some reason we often return with unused outfits..

I have been "twitterpated" about my next cruise since I booked it in April 2009 and it is STILL 111 days, 2 hours and 16 minutes away!! Does that countdown clock on my desktop tell you anything!!!! My guest bed is already covered with "can't forget" stuff! Wooohoooo.....it IS a sickness I guess!

Karen, "Twitterpated" is a wonderful word & describes me perfectly...:D According to my desktop clock, our next cruise is 5 months 2 days 20 hours 28 min & 49 sec. away from boarding time..Seems I'm much more "love struck" with cruising, than many of our friends...;)They always ask "How can you spend so many days in a row on a cruise"? My best Friend has the answer to that: "When you spend 5 months on a sail-boat with only your DH, 25 days on a cruise ship is wonderful!" We both did this on our two sailboats... We cooked (when we had to), cleaned, shopped for groceries, had showers & did laundry in some god forsaken places, but we survived!...Now it's our time to be pampered & wined & dined..

Cheers....:)Betty

Just returned from a Montreal-Boston June 6-13 cruise on the Maasdam. First time on HAL, and everything onboard - well nearly everything - was great. Trayless food handling at the Lido worked excellently.

Reason I'm writing is that I forgot the name of a couple of entertainers in the Rembrandt lounge, both of whom I'd like to look up:

- One was a male singer-pianist, born in Wales but a long-time U.S. resident, who has appeared before Presidents, etc. Had a group of seven behind him. Powerful tenor.

- The other was a male comedian-juggler, etc., who also did a great job balncing on top of a ladder.

Would be most happy if someone could provide me their names. Thanks!

I'll be on the 28-day Panama Canal in March on the Maasdam so any information is very much appreciated. I have sailed on the old Nieuw Amsterdam, the Oosterdam and the Amsterdam with the Zaandam coming up in November but haven't heard many people talk about the Maasdam. I'm happy to hear that you like it so much - it just makes me look forward to my trip even more!!! Have a great trip -

Would be most happy if someone could provide me their names. Thanks!

You could post your question on Pipedream's "Live from ..." thread. He may see it, and make note of the names and post them.

Archived