What to do in Miami

mebfalcon

We fly into FLL and sail out of Miami. This is our first cruise and we are deciding between coming in on either Saturday or Sunday (ship leaves Monday). We are staying at the Courtyard by the port. What is there to do nearby? Is there a beach? Are their fees for it? We don't want to spend a lot of money but wouldn't mind enjoying the day in Miami if won't cost a ton.

We fly into FLL and sail out of Miami. This is our first cruise and we are deciding between coming in on either Saturday or Sunday (ship leaves Monday). We are staying at the Courtyard by the port. What is there to do nearby? Is there a beach? Are their fees for it? We don't want to spend a lot of money but wouldn't mind enjoying the day in Miami if won't cost a ton.

Man I love Miami

South Beach is a cab drive away. Great place to spend a day, grab a bite to eat and have a few drinks.

http://mgbutler.homeunix.com/photos/NOS/South%20Beach/index.html

We always stay at the Holiday Inn and so we're right across the street from Bayside Marketplace - a great place to grab a bite relatively cheap, do some shopping (love the Havana Shirt Company) and do some sightseeing. Also consider a Harbor tour. Quite nice. - I've got a few pics of Bayside and the Harbor tour here:

http://mgbutler.homeunix.com/photos/NOS/Miami/index.html

Also, if you have time at night, there is a shuttle that will take you to the Dolphin Mall ($5 a person I think) - DW loves to do some shopping there.

yes, there s a forum just for those sailing out of florida..

i can only say that we don t plan alot of trip s to miami..but, would

like to see sight s that we probably never see again..

most hotel s will offer tour s of the miami area..our choice was the

Everglades tour..if you do..try their gator tender s..:)

Hi. it's our tradition that we fly into miami the day before we leave on a cruise and stay in south beach. if you do some research, you can find some really good deals at the boutique hotels on the beach. (we always stay at The Colony ... under $200 a night.) if you can fit it into your budget, it's a great way to start your vacation a day early. we fly in early, change into our beachwear at the hotel (if you can't check in early, they always let us use their public restroom) and we're on the beach before noon. we spend our evening in south beach walking around, having a quiet dinner and do some people-watching. it's wonderful to wake up in miami the day of the cruise, have a light breakfast, do some leisurely walking and soaking up some sunshine before meandering over to the port. no rushing around .... the perfect way to start your vacation!

if you decide to stay in miami, you can always take the bus over to south beach for just a few dollars, but you'll want to check the bus schedules. they run frequently and there are a few different routes over to south beach.

there are so many things to do in miami .... i'm sure you'll be able to find something that fits you to a tee.

have fun!!

i agree, Bayside market is a fun spot. we too stay at the Holiday Inn across the street normally two days prior and check out all the shops and eateries around there. plus you're a quick cab ride to port!:)

Hi there Bluenoser - you sound like us. We too fly in 2 days early. Want to make sure we dont miss the boat plus get a full day and a half to enjoy the sights.

You will be very close to Ft. Lauderdal Beach and it is a beautiful beach and should not be missed, but you will find, IMO, a lot to do and see in Miami at South Beach. If you can budget it in, South Beach is a must do if you have never been there. The summer is actually the off season and if you do a little homework you should be able to find some deals. I would come in on Saturday and take in both. You should have the time of your life.

Man I love Miami

South Beach is a cab drive away. Great place to spend a day, grab a bite to eat and have a few drinks.

http://mgbutler.homeunix.com/photos/NOS/South%20Beach/index.html

We always stay at the Holiday Inn and so we're right across the street from Bayside Marketplace - a great place to grab a bite relatively cheap, do some shopping (love the Havana Shirt Company) and do some sightseeing. Also consider a Harbor tour. Quite nice. - I've got a few pics of Bayside and the Harbor tour here:

http://mgbutler.homeunix.com/photos/NOS/Miami/index.html

Also, if you have time at night, there is a shuttle that will take you to the Dolphin Mall ($5 a person I think) - DW loves to do some shopping there.

Nice photos! Photos number #513 and #520 are of Shaquille O'Neil's house and Gloria Estafan's house. Shaq's house is up for sale for $25Million.

Also, nice shots of Freedom Tower! It's the big yellow one downtown.

Check out travelzoo for a good deal on The Mondrian Hotel in Miami...it's a beautiful boutique hotel on the bayside but amazing views all around. People watching in SoBe is priceless! Enjoy.

Archived