Can you swim with the turtles w/o paying for an excursion?

mag0737

I'm cruising with RCCL in July. I know that there are several ship excursions that include snorkeling with the turtles. My question is - would I be able to go to the beach (say Payne's Bay) on my own and still be able to snorkel w/ the turtles? I do not have my own snorkel equipment.

It's just that I've read some of these tours have 30-40 people and that seems a bit high to me. I'm wondering if I can go early before the tours and skip the masses of people? Any help or suggestions would be great!

Let's see...

you don't have your own snorkel gear...you don't have the necessary turtle food to attract them

...and you're willing to swim the 150-200 yds. offshore

to get out into 15 ft. depth of water...to where they know to come for food

...but you don't. :confused:

I'm cruising with RCCL in July. I know that there are several ship excursions that include snorkeling with the turtles. My question is - would I be able to go to the beach (say Payne's Bay) on my own and still be able to snorkel w/ the turtles? I do not have my own snorkel equipment.

It's just that I've read some of these tours have 30-40 people and that seems a bit high to me. I'm wondering if I can go early before the tours and skip the masses of people? Any help or suggestions would be great!

Here's a cheaper suggestion than taking a RCCL excursion that will provide everything I think you are looking for. We did this tour two years ago. It is with an outside vendor. They will meet you at the dock and the tour included a nice sail to where the turtles are, some time to snorkel nearby to see some other colorful fiish and then they will drop you off at Payne's Bay to spend the rest of your day at the beach. You will need to catch a taxi back [easy to do] I'm not sure I can mention the specific vendor but if you google shoretrips you should find it. The catamaran holds a maximum of twelve people. I believe the price without lunch was around $40 [or less]. It was a perfect day for me- not crowded and great tour guides.

Here's a cheaper suggestion than taking a RCCL excursion that will provide everything I think you are looking for. We did this tour two years ago. It is with an outside vendor. They will meet you at the dock and the tour included a nice sail to where the turtles are, some time to snorkel nearby to see some other colorful fiish and then they will drop you off at Payne's Bay to spend the rest of your day at the beach. You will need to catch a taxi back [easy to do] I'm not sure I can mention the specific vendor but if you google shoretrips you should find it. The catamaran holds a maximum of twelve people. I believe the price without lunch was around $40 [or less]. It was a perfect day for me- not crowded and great tour guides.

Thank you! I think this is what I meant. Were there any smaller vendors I could deal with instead of booking through the ship?

Thx for the suggestion - I'll google and see what I come up with!

We were just there two weeks ago and my family snorkeled with the turtles. We got off the ship right away and took a taxi to Payne's Bay, the taxi drive made the suggestion. It was $40.00 for five people each way. They had their own snorkel gear and I rented a chair/umbrella for $15.00. They snorkeled and saw the turtles up close without any food. We were there before all of the tours arrived. The tours were very crowded. We were at the beach from 9:00 until 11:30 a.m.

Jeniferlyn: Are you saying that you snorkeled from shore to see turtles? I thought Payne's Bay was one where the glass bottom boats take you out to the turtles? Would appreciate clarification. Thanks.

I booked on my own with Stephen at Thriller Tours. They offer a morning and afternoon trip. It's a high speed boat with a max of 14-16 people. I would recommend the morning one. If you are interested, here is his email. We did this in 11/07 and at the time the cost was $50 US pp. There are two other snorkle stops and a beach stop.

thriller-ocean-tours@caribsurf.com

Good luck!:)

We booked through Shoretrips and used Heatwave tours which leaves from the boatyard. This tour was great - 12 people on the boat and we went opposite the other bigger tours. We snorkeled the shipwreck first and then did the turtles second so all the big tours were pulling out when we pulled in. We had the turtles all to ourselves. I didn't stay with the guide who was feeding them but swam around on my own and the turtles were all around me anyway. It was very neat and absolutely worth doing!!

In late December, we took a taxi from the port ($20 for four of us -walked outside the port gate and avoid the zoo of taxis inside) to Paynes Bay. Our taxi driver spoke to someone at the beach who then brought over a small glass bottom boat. I think it was about $15 per person - and we were out for about 1.5 hours with the turtles and then to a shipwreck.

Although a couple of large catamarans were there initially when we were at the turtles, they left and there were only a few of us. The fellow piloting the boat got in the water and fed the turtles too.

We liked Barbados so much that returned at March Break and have booked to go again this Christmas.

So I don't see why you couldn't do this too if you wanted to avoid an expensive ship excursion.

Ok I was just there last week. I took the local bus for $1.50 usd to Paynes.......I took my beach towel and my own snorkel equip. I swam out the 100-150 yds where all the tour boats are and snorkeled with the turtles. It was awesome and cheap and no food needed....the tour boats attract the turtles. After spending much of the day there, I hopped back on the bus and went to the southside....rockley beach for $1.50 again and enjoyed it there......then took the bus back by the ship.

I did as Dgonza - but - having been out to the turtles now... 4 times, it was my least enjoyable way of doing this otherwise worthy excursion.

As folks have pointed out there are a variety of excursion modes and the catamaran (lunch) mode is my favorite. It may cost a bit more - but it is the best value.

When I went on my own I was reminded that 150-200 yards (almost a 1/4 mile r/t) in open water is a bit of a work out. I absolutely wouldn't do it with youngsters. Then you end up poaching off groups anyway because they've got the seafood that brings up the turtles.

So - it can be done solo... but I wouldn't recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off Carnival Victory ship and I see outside vendors everywhere! It is easy to find a tour of some sort. Matter of fact, the vendor will come and keep coming to ask you some tours even if you declined graciously.....hehehehe...So no need to worry bout finding a tour, taxi, or even people selling you souvenirs.

• 4 weeks later...
Let's see...

you don't have your own snorkel gear...you don't have the necessary turtle food to attract them

...and you're willing to swim the 150-200 yds. offshore

to get out into 15 ft. depth of water...to where they know to come for food

...but you don't. :confused:

can you be any more glib?

Archived