steak in the dining room?

cruzn06

I just saw that Carnival now has a supper club that I think was not available last time we cruised in 2006.

Can we still order steak or chicken breast in the main dining room every night? We have a very picky eater who isn't likely to want any of the other menu items...

I just saw that Carnival now has a supper club that I think was not available last time we cruised in 2006.

Can we still order steak or chicken breast in the main dining room every night? We have a very picky eater who isn't likely to want any of the other menu items...

Not all ships have the supper club... If yours does, you need to know it's worth every penny....service, food, presentation to equal almost any landbased gourmet restaurant ashore.......

That being said....yes, there is still steak and chicken on the menu in the MDR....and the food is still just as delicious...

By the way, the Supper Club is the only "for-fee" dining venue on Carnnival...and it is by reservation only.

Unlike some others, dining is still "free" on their ships...except for specialty coffee and pastries from the little concession onboard.

Unlike some others' date=' dining is still "free" on their ships[/b']...except for specialty coffee and pastries from the little concession onboard.

LMAO!!! Actually it is included in your fare........just like all other cruise lines.........

Some others just offer more optional pay venues......more choices......

One disappointment that I experienced on my Carnival Freedom cruise in March was the quality of the beef served in the dining room. The only steak that was offered, and it was available each day if it was not a featured entree, was Flat Iron Steak. While it was "OK", it is not the quality of beef from the tenderloin.

Thank you! That's good to know. Last time she ordered a plain steak every night for dinner and a children's pizza or chicken nuggets for our dessert. The kids absolutely loved our servers :)

DH & DD ate the flat iron steak regularly and said it was very good. There is always something on the optional dining menu like steak/chicken/burgers. My son is a picky eater and I was surprised to see him order stuff off the main menu like salmon. It is a good experience for kids to come out of their shell and order some finer foods.

One disappointment that I experienced on my Carnival Freedom cruise in March was the quality of the beef served in the dining room. The only steak that was offered, and it was available each day if it was not a featured entree, was Flat Iron Steak. While it was "OK", it is not the quality of beef from the tenderloin.

thats a bummer.

I believe they have a kids menu with all the kinds of food kids love. I agree the cut of steak in dining room is not the most tender steak in the world, but with all the other options why order steak?

My husband does make it a point every cruise to try and finish off the 24 oz porterhouse served in the supper club, he loves it!!!

Have a great cruise, Carole

...argued to be the most flavorful portion of the steer. I know for us it makes the best tasting burger. We like our beef anywhere from raw to rare so it is not an issue. Carnival will cook whatever way you want it. Beyond rare, the effort to chew may distract from how good it tastes. :D

The beef in the Supper Club is superb. The portion is outrageous!

I believe they have a kids menu with all the kinds of food kids love. I agree the cut of steak in dining room is not the most tender steak in the world, but with all the other options why order steak?

My husband does make it a point every cruise to try and finish off the 24 oz porterhouse served in the supper club, he loves it!!!

Nice that they have doggie bags.

Flatiron steak is a new way of cutting from the shoulder of a beef.

I quote from Confessions of a Butcher blog: What it is: The Flat Iron steak is a relatively new cut of steak. It is rather untraditional, as it takes a defter touch while cutting, cooking, and serving. Also, because of the anatomy , there are only 2 to 4 flat iron steaks per head of cattle, so butchers didn't traditionally place these cuts in the meat case, as there wouldn't be enough to display.

More specifically, the Flat Iron is from the Top Blade, which is off the shoulder of the animal.

Normally this muscle is cross-cut into top blade steaks. However, these steaks are tough and full of connective tissues (gristle). Instead, Flat Irons are cut from the two layers of the top blade and have all of that connective tissue removed. When sliced thin, on the bias, incredible marbling is apparent.

Is it a worthwhile cut of meat? The Flat Iron is, in this butcher's mind, one of the most versatile pieces of beef. It takes to a marinade like no other, it's tender beyond belief, and you can cook it with much success in many methods. Plus, it's cheap. Since it is from the shoulder, it can be found for as little as $3/lb here in the Midwest, and probably not much more than that elsewhere. You can grill it, use if for stirfry meat, use it for fajitas, braise it, fanfry it. Really, it is a great little cut that hopefully you will want to go out and try. If your butcher doesn't carry it, ask them to do some for you. IF they dont know how, refer them to the NCA's site, beef.org, or explain to them what I just showed. It will be worth your time.

I've had this steak onboard Carnival. Theirs seem to be well-aged and mine was cooked very much as ordered. It is very tasty, but it is not an exceptionally tender steak. I like it and I doubt that any steak eater will be disappointed as long as they realize it is not going to be like eating tenderloin.

The strip was still available on at least one menu during a seven or eight day cruise.

Doc:D

I would agree with you, but she's 17 and has been extremely picky ever since she's been off baby food. She won't eat off the appetizer or dessert menus, either, but she will be having a lot of that 24 hour pizza (no ice cream, though). She really enjoys the dining room experience so I'm glad she'll still be able to get something she likes for dinner.

Nice that they have doggie bags.

lol my hubby is the biggest meat eater, he might not eat much of anything else on the nights he finishes the Porterhouse, but he has, indeed finished it several times.

Myself? I'll eat steak at home (live in nebraska, it's a no brainer) I'm having lobster or those delicious lamb chops, but I mostly get full on the lobster bisque (is a meal unto itself) yumm, and those wasabi golden mashed, omg to die for...........now I'm hungry!!!!

I would agree with you, but she's 17 and has been extremely picky ever since she's been off baby food. She won't eat off the appetizer or dessert menus, either, but she will be having a lot of that 24 hour pizza (no ice cream, though). She really enjoys the dining room experience so I'm glad she'll still be able to get something she likes for dinner.

No melting chocolate cake for her? OMG that poor child!!! LOL jk, I'm glad she can find something that agrees with her tastes!!! They do have good pizza!!

Carole

No melting chocolate cake for her? OMG that poor child!!! LOL jk, I'm glad she can find something that agrees with her tastes!!! They do have good pizza!!

Carole

She will eat chocolate cake without frosting occasionally.

• 9 years later...
...argued to be the most flavorful portion of the steer. I know for us it makes the best tasting burger. We like our beef anywhere from raw to rare so it is not an issue. Carnival will cook whatever way you want it. Beyond rare, the effort to chew may distract from how good it tastes. :D

The beef in the Supper Club is superb. The portion is outrageous!

When you Google the flat iron most experts say it is more tender when cooked medium-rare.

Had the flat iron in MDR a couple of times on the transatlantic sailing on Horizon and it was really good. They did a duo of Filet Mignon and Braised Rib on the second elegant night and it was superb, much better than the Filet Mignon we had in the Steakhouse. Steakhouse on Horizon was really disappointing, service was great, steak was overcooked, the chef has his name on the menu but he needs to go to the MDR and learn from those chefs how to cook. The Steakhouse and Piano bar are beside each other with no partition wall so in between songs we could hear people in the Piano bar commenting on what was being served in the Steakhouse. We didn't appreciate paying an additional fee for sub standard food and having our dinner be a spectator sport.

Flatiron steak is a new way of cutting from the shoulder of a beef.

I quote from Confessions of a Butcher blog: What it is: The Flat Iron steak is a relatively new cut of steak. It is rather untraditional, as it takes a defter touch while cutting, cooking, and serving. Also, because of the anatomy , there are only 2 to 4 flat iron steaks per head of cattle, so butchers didn't traditionally place these cuts in the meat case, as there wouldn't be enough to display.

More specifically, the Flat Iron is from the Top Blade, which is off the shoulder of the animal.

Normally this muscle is cross-cut into top blade steaks. However, these steaks are tough and full of connective tissues (gristle). Instead, Flat Irons are cut from the two layers of the top blade and have all of that connective tissue removed. When sliced thin, on the bias, incredible marbling is apparent.

Is it a worthwhile cut of meat? The Flat Iron is, in this butcher's mind, one of the most versatile pieces of beef. It takes to a marinade like no other, it's tender beyond belief, and you can cook it with much success in many methods. Plus, it's cheap. Since it is from the shoulder, it can be found for as little as $3/lb here in the Midwest, and probably not much more than that elsewhere. You can grill it, use if for stirfry meat, use it for fajitas, braise it, fanfry it. Really, it is a great little cut that hopefully you will want to go out and try. If your butcher doesn't carry it, ask them to do some for you. IF they dont know how, refer them to the NCA's site, beef.org, or explain to them what I just showed. It will be worth your time.

I've had this steak onboard Carnival. Theirs seem to be well-aged and mine was cooked very much as ordered. It is very tasty, but it is not an exceptionally tender steak. I like it and I doubt that any steak eater will be disappointed as long as they realize it is not going to be like eating tenderloin.

The strip was still available on at least one menu during a seven or eight day cruise.

Doc:D

So much wonderful info! I am a cook and I love this thorough info about flat iron steak. My son loves this and every cruise he orders two dinners nightly, one flat iron steak and another choice of something else. I'm going to have to try this next cruise, which is very soon!! Looking so forward to this. :DThanks Doc!

There is a partition wall on Horizon they can close off, but the point was to have sort of a feel of the old supper clubs with entertainment.

If my steak was overcooked, I'd send it back as many times as necessary.

Oh my gosh, just ran across this old thread and this daughter is now 26 and cruising Carnival without us but still mainly having steak and pizza on board but now also drinks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Hilarious! This will totally be my daughter some day. She'll probably still be ordering mac and cheese with her grown-up drinks...LOL

Speaking of which...can she order mac and cheese in the MDR? (With multiple food allergies -- every time she's had a reaction it's been the first time she tried something new -- she prefers to stick to the tried and true.) She's really excited about 24-hr pizza.