Do you tip first?

Docswiffy

We've always received excellent service, which we reward with a tip at the end of the cruise. Princess really chooses those employees who take pride in great service. Those who don't will not last long.

Just out of curiosity - if one pre-tips, then how do you know the service is better than if the tip is withheld until at the end of the cruise? Each steward is different in how they excel.

Do you tip at a restaurant before you eat dinner?

Do you tip the taxi cab driver before the ride?

Do you tip your hairdresser before she cuts your hair?

Do you tip the bellhop before he carries your luggage upstairs?

Do you tip the bartender before he serves you your drink?

Do you want me to come up with a hundred other situations where you do not tip ahead of service?

Can you think of ANY other situation where you tip ahead of service?

Why should a cruise be any different?

DON

Well I can tell you one thing....I apologize if anyone else has posted this...I got to page 4 and decided it was time to post....

What does TIPS stand for? To Insure Proper Service

Definition of insure - to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions

Before I go into my answers I have never pre-tipped on a cruise but that being said does not mean I won't ever do it.

Now I will go one by one and answer your questions....

I have. When it was a special occasion and I requested something be done out of the ordinary. Anniversary....I made a reservation and gave the manager flowers and special candles and a card (I provided hours prior) to have lit and on our table before we were seated.

Have not. Don't really see a need to.

Do you tip the bellhop before he carries your luggage upstairs? Actually if I'm not going to my room right away and I want him to drop it off inside my room.....Absolutely!

I have.If it is a very busy bar so I don't have to wait long for my drink order.

Do you want me to come up with a hundred other situations where you do not tip ahead of service?

There are plenty of other situations that can be reason to tip prior.

ABSOLUTELY!! The time I proposed to my wife......I had reserved a gondola at The Venetian in Las Vegas with me and my GF (now DW). Without my wife knowing I had my DB & DSIL there so they could record it. They advised the gondoleer of what was going to take place and exactly where they would be located. Since I could not call my DB or DSIL to discuss this the gondoleer was advised he was my timer. He knew exactly where DB & DSIL were going to be and would finish his song just prior to us being in the perfect spot to record it. When the song stopped that when I was "on stage". Knowing this is a once in a lifetime opportunity (since I don't plan on proposing to anyone else :) ) if it didn't go right I could not get a "Do-Over" I gave him $40 up front before I knew he would do it all right. But guess what? Everything was PERFECT!

Now thinking about the above story.....would $40 up front be worth it to you just to make sure it happens the way you want it to?

ANY situation you may need extra service could be reason for a tip up front. As many people have discussed in earlier posts....if they want to make sure they always extra towels, always full ice, or maybe they have a high maintenance room it may be nice to tip up front.

As far as a cruise...I have not had the need to tip up front. When I plan my 10th Anniversary I'm sure I will come up with some special requests that I will give to the cabin steward and a tip up front just to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible.

do you guys tip when they bring you the "forgotten" rolls of toilet paper or kleenex or towel.

i'm not saying "extra", i mean if they forgot to supply the toilet paper/tissue or towel.....do you tip the person who brings it?

whether it be in a hotel or on a cruise.

nope

We have never pre-tipped. It's the service has been outstanding, we will present an envelope with cash that will be in addition to the auto-tips. Also, if any crew member (whether or not they are in the auto-tips for us or not) does something special, we'll fill out the "Made a Difference" card that's available at the front desk. Make sure you have at least a first name, their home country, and their work area (eg. Wheelhouse bar) so that they can get special recognition.

I've never tipped before hand however have always had fantastic service and always gave a tip on the last day. We always make sure to keep our rooms clean and tidy for our stewart. We do ask for extra towels and little things here and there...all I want is a clean cabin and a bed that's made. We always make small talk to get to know them a little better. Being personal goes a long way. On our last 15 day cruise we had this one Stewart her name was Mary on the Golden Princess and she was aweseome. We clicked from day one; she was so great cause she knew we would go to the gym early in the morning so she would make us the first cabin she cleaned in the morning so by the time we got back everything would be done. She was EXCELLENT we brought her back chocolate covered cashews from one of our excursions and then another port we brought her back a T-shirt for her 11 yr old daughter. It was her last week before she got to go back home to the Phillipenes for two months. She was an exception to the rule...

For me, I probably won't tip upfront however throughout the week I may drop several tips if I needed something extraordinary. Otherwise its an extra tip at the end of the cruise.

LOL just because you find a website that says they have not found info doesn't mean what they say is true....Just as you found a website that says it does not stand for it...I find a website that says it does. Just like the word "Bling" was not a real word, due to the use of it, it is now found in dictionaries and made a word in the American language. Depending on who you talk to or ask TIPS may stand for anything you want.

Well I can tell you one thing....I apologize if anyone else has posted this...I got to page 4 and decided it was time to post....

What does TIPS stand for? To Insure Proper Service

Definition of insure - to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions

Before I go into my answers I have never pre-tipped on a cruise but that being said does not mean I won't ever do it.

Now I will go one by one and answer your questions....

I have. When it was a special occasion and I requested something be done out of the ordinary. Anniversary....I made a reservation and gave the manager flowers and special candles and a card (I provided hours prior) to have lit and on our table before we were seated.

Have not. Don't really see a need to.

Do you tip the bellhop before he carries your luggage upstairs? Actually if I'm not going to my room right away and I want him to drop it off inside my room.....Absolutely!

I have.If it is a very busy bar so I don't have to wait long for my drink order.

There are plenty of other situations that can be reason to tip prior.

ABSOLUTELY!! The time I proposed to my wife......I had reserved a gondola at The Venetian in Las Vegas with me and my GF (now DW). Without my wife knowing I had my DB & DSIL there so they could record it. They advised the gondoleer of what was going to take place and exactly where they would be located. Since I could not call my DB or DSIL to discuss this the gondoleer was advised he was my timer. He knew exactly where DB & DSIL were going to be and would finish his song just prior to us being in the perfect spot to record it. When the song stopped that when I was "on stage". Knowing this is a once in a lifetime opportunity (since I don't plan on proposing to anyone else :) ) if it didn't go right I could not get a "Do-Over" I gave him $40 up front before I knew he would do it all right. But guess what? Everything was PERFECT!

Now thinking about the above story.....would $40 up front be worth it to you just to make sure it happens the way you want it to?

ANY situation you may need extra service could be reason for a tip up front. As many people have discussed in earlier posts....if they want to make sure they always extra towels, always full ice, or maybe they have a high maintenance room it may be nice to tip up front.

As far as a cruise...I have not had the need to tip up front. When I plan my 10th Anniversary I'm sure I will come up with some special requests that I will give to the cabin steward and a tip up front just to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible.

Its Funny that you felt you had to post after reading this thread. I felt the same way. I got to the point where I said OK. thats enough.

I always give my steward a $20 upfront. I do it as I am asking for the extras. Extra pillows, Ice bucket to never be empty, extra towels, ash tray, pad for bed etc..

Yor are 100% correct about the purpose of a tip.

It is To Insure Proper Service.

I believe it is the responsibility of my cabin steward to do only 3 things

1-keep my room/bathroom clean

2-supply fresh towels daily.

3-make bed

Anything else that they do as a result of being asked or just by taking the initiative deserves compensation. It is not the job of a Cabin Steward to provide me with ice, give me a mattress pad, or to fulfill any other special requests. If I want all of these extras I will provide $$ To Insure Proper Service. As long as I am provided with a clean room, towels, and my bed is made daily, I feel I have received proper service based on what I have paid for when I paid the cruise fare. The money that I give upfront is to

To Insure Proper Service for what I feel will make my vacation more enjoyable.

I've never tipped before hand however have always had fantastic service and always gave a tip on the last day. We always make sure to keep our rooms clean and tidy for our stewart. We do ask for extra towels and little things here and there...all I want is a clean cabin and a bed that's made. We always make small talk to get to know them a little better. Being personal goes a long way. On our last 15 day cruise we had this one Stewart her name was Mary on the Golden Princess and she was aweseome. We clicked from day one; she was so great cause she knew we would go to the gym early in the morning so she would make us the first cabin she cleaned in the morning so by the time we got back everything would be done. She was EXCELLENT we brought her back chocolate covered cashews from one of our excursions and then another port we brought her back a T-shirt for her 11 yr old daughter. It was her last week before she got to go back home to the Phillipenes for two months. She was an exception to the rule...

For me, I probably won't tip upfront however throughout the week I may drop several tips if I needed something extraordinary. Otherwise its an extra tip at the end of the cruise.

Is Mary Martha's sister? (sorry, couldn't resist). Also wondering about the sentence: She was an exception to the rule... Does that mean you don't think many of the cabin stewards are decent?

So does this mean you expect to get drinks ahead of those who don't pre-tip the bartender?

Archived