Do you tip first?

Docswiffy

Leaving Thurs for Cruise out of NY YEAH! On my last cruise I tipped the cabin steward the first day and recd excellent service. Now mind you I may have recd it anyway but I wanted to take care of our steward up front. Do many agree with me? If so how much? We are two in the mini suite and I am actually neurotically neat so do not leave a mess every day but think its a nice gesture...do most people do that?

Thanks!

Leaving Thurs for Cruise out of NY YEAH! On my last cruise I tipped the cabin steward the first day and recd excellent service. Now mind you I may have recd it anyway but I wanted to take care of our steward up front. Do many agree with me? If so how much? We are two in the mini suite and I am actually neurotically neat so do not leave a mess every day but think its a nice gesture...do most people do that?

Thanks!

I know there is going to be disagreement on this.

I always tip at the end of the cruise for good service provided. In some cultures tips before service is provided appears to be a bribe and not usually well received. I understand it is not your intention - just my two cents.

I also try to keep our room clean - I worked at a large hotel during college in the reservation dept and I would hear horror stories about some of the stuff housekeeping had to deal with. It will depress you. So I figure I will do my part to help them have one more easy to clean cabin.

Thanks!

This, of course, is a hot topic on CC. :p Many folks think that a tip upfront amounts to a bribe and that you shouldn't have to bribe them for good service. IMHO, if you ask for something special, then by all means, tip them. But I would forego a tip at the start of the cruise. Now that being said, we do usually bring a box of chocolates for our room steward that we present on the first day. Not a tip, not a bribe... just a nice gesture to someone who works hard taking care of us. I do think they appreciate it!

I have never pre-tipped an extra amount; always at the end of the cruise. I figure they're already being tipped via the "auto-tip" and if they provide service above what's expected, then they deserve an additional tip.

I do a liitle of each. I always leave the standard tip at the end of my cruise. However, when I first meet my cabin steward/ess I hand them a $20 along with my expectations. Always keep my ice bucket full. Extra towels. First cabin to be made up in the morning, as I'm an early riser, early turndown service, etc. I have always found this approach to be well received and in turn get the service that I desire. Works for me!

Thanks!

No, I would not tip for better service upfront. I would simply choose a vacation where the service I need or expect is included in the fare.

I have tipped at the beginning or in the middle of the cruise if I think my on-board spending will cut into my decision to tip extra, which I always do.

This is done for one reason which is to provide a little extra to the staff. I would rather give upfront than not have it in the end, just not for service.

My husband ALWAYS tips when we first meet the room steward. We don't think of it as a bribe, but rather as a way to ensure that our special needs are met. We always want ice at a certain time, extra towels, etc. I would like to think that we usually pick a vacation that includes these extras, but there is no guarantee. If we find the service exceptional, we give a little something at the end. If not, we don't. The way I look at it, the people that work in the service industry do not get paid enough and they put up with a lot of crap. We are not rich but we add these costs as part of the vacation. After all, many turn off the auto-tip and leave nothing. We have seen it happen.

Kathie

IMHO,Paying someone before they provide a service is nothing more than a bribe.

I wasn't aware that people were doing that. It seems kind of tacky to me. It's as if you're telling them that you don't believe they will give their best effort UNLESS you pay extra up front for it. I usually get great service from stewards and provide an additional cash tip on top of the auto-tip on the last evening.

Usually on the embarkation day I have several items I want the steward to take care of at that time--I DO tip at that time since this is beyond the norm for embarkation day--I don't consider it a bribe--I consider it a tip.

Nancy:D

Thought it would provoke some opinons which is why I love cruise critic! No not a bribe and indeed I do not believe that service people are paid well enough either to put up with the many different personalities of people and demands. While I believe in the auto tip as a whole I believe that the room steward does attend to more needs of mine personally on the ship. Interesting on the chocolate I wonder if there are any other little gifts I could bring instead of cash? Thoughts..maybe a calling card for them to call home?

What is wrong with simply paying some kindness forward?

Whether it be a smile, a 20.00 bill, a box of chocolates, some conversation with your room steward/ess about THEIR life and THEIR family for a few minutes each day. Granted these people are in the service industry, and all that we have had in the past 12 cruises have provided us with very good service.

They are working the hours, days , weeks and months straight that they do most of the time to provide what some would consider a

meager existance for the families they have in their home country.

We do try to 'add something' to their lives, even with some of the most

simple gestures. What goes around comes around.

Whether it be a smile, a 20.00 bill, a box of chocolates, some conversation with your room steward/ess about THEIR life and THEIR family for a few minutes each day. Granted these people are in the service industry, and all that we have had in the past 12 cruises have provided us with very good service.

They are working the hours, days , weeks and months straight that they do most of the time to provide what some would consider a

Nobody said not to offer anything, they are asking whether you should give a tip before the cruise even starts.

The bribers/pre-tippers/upfront givers/over tippers make up for those who think service is never good enough to tip.

While I don't care to do it just for better service, heck if I am going to a point the finger knowing so many go on these vacations not thinking those 3 precious letters...TIP!

I have already paid for my cruise, my excursions, my pet sitter, and gave my kids their allowance, yet no service has yet been provided.

Did I just bride all those people, if so let's hope bribe is not a sin. Hmmmm something else to pray about:D

My grandmother said encouragement strengthens labor.

Maybe she had pre-tipping in mind. As a waitress I have gotten tips upfront and honestly it felt good.

Then again I was hungry and worrying about getting by.

OP- I have given international calling cards as well and try to leave my cabin reasonable clean.

Leaving Thurs for Cruise out of NY YEAH! On my last cruise I tipped the cabin steward the first day and recd excellent service. Now mind you I may have recd it anyway but I wanted to take care of our steward up front. Do many agree with me? If so how much? We are two in the mini suite and I am actually neurotically neat so do not leave a mess every day but think its a nice gesture...do most people do that? Thanks!

I've given something up-front if I requested something (vase for flowers, extra ice, that stupid robe that's supposed to be there anyway why is that even ON the personalizer --sorry got distracted). I've also tipped every time my steward (or anyone) has brought room service.

I like to tip. I have been blessed and I like to share. I live in the US and don't find it culturally strange :).

No, I don't tip upfront.....it's not needed.

I've always had excellent service on every cruise and I have a LOT of cruises under my belt.

But, if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

If you'll notice, most of the veteran cruisers and posters do not tip upfront. I'm not a veteran cruiser by any means, but I have noticed (especially on Princess) that pre-tipping is not considered a plus for the passengers or the employees.

We've tipped $20 to our room steward upon embarkation for extra ice, pillows, robes, etc., and have never received any preferential treatment. We've also had times where we had exceptional service and tried to tip but were refused.

Enjoy the cruise and the service, if certain staff go beyond their job to your preference reward them, if not, let the automatic tip do its job. :)

Imagine if everyone did this every day -- that poor steward would never get his work done! I prefer to leave the staff alone to do their job; they're not there to become my BFF.

I'd only tip in advance if I requested some unusual service. I'm delighted to tip them extra at the end -- almost every steward I've ever had has definitely earned that lagniappe -- but I don't like the feeling I get when I tip upfront for no specific reason -- makes me feel smarmy.

Archived