Unthought of...things to pack!

Lanyard for your sea pass card, i don't wear it round my neck but makes it easy to find in my bag..

spare glasses for me and daughter

travel plug with night light built in

alarm clock

shoes rack thingy for all our flip flops

coat hangers as there is never enough

usual med cupboard stuff

binoculars

aftersun

post it notes are great for writing little notes for our cabin steward

highlighter...

my list could go on.....:D:eek:

I saw someone mention a backpack.....I was thinking a beach bag. I have seen people carrying items in the laundry bag from the closet. I use my beach bag as a carry on with my books, make-up, meds and then remove all of that and use it as a beach bag once on board.

OK, maybe I missed it but what exactly is the duct tape for?

Repair a torn suitcase

Tape cords to the floor

Hem a skirt or pants

Repair a rip in clothing or shoes

Create cleavage on formal night (OUCH!)

Others too numerous to mention....

Google duct tape and you will find dozens of creative and practical uses for duct tape while traveling.

cell phone warning-

I depended on mine for a cruise to Mexico- didn't think about the fact that when I have no coverage- I have no phone and therefor no clock! Kept searching for coverage- of course it never got any since I didn't have international coverage- so my battery went dead and I still had no clock. Lesson learned- I bring a clock for our room now!

-JC in CA

The I go power system eliminates the need for a power strip. Best thing that I could have bought years ago. Covers all my electronics, pda, cell, 2 camera's, ipod, and battery charger.

Denise

Hi Denise,

What exactly is that and where do you buy one?

Thanks,

Cheryl

My sister and I go to Dollar Tree and buy these pop-up boxes/trays. They are pretty much just cardboard covered in fabric, and they come in a few different sizes. You open them up, slip the bottom piece in, and they are actually pretty sturdy. You can find them usually down the laundry aisle. We use them when we go to the Promenade Cafe to get our snacks & coffee (the plates we get are entirely too small) to take back to the room, or to the pool deck, etc.

If I brought it I would use it to keep the kids quiet and under control! ;):D:eek:

Actually I've been wondering the same thing. Use it to close your suitcase? Repair a suitcase?

We had to BUY duct tape at Walgreens in San Juan to repair a suitcase that had the side ripped open on the flight to the cruise. It was an elderly case, not worth filing a claim over...but buying duct tape was cheaper than replacing the bag last minute, pre-cruise, since we needed it in one piece to board. :D

This year I added that bug bite swab thing. When we went to Cozumel I set my daughter down in a red ant nest. Luckily a lady on the beach had some and she had relief quickly. We were on a tour and it would have been hours before I could have found a drugstore.

We also take after sun cream/lotion. We always remembered the sunscreen but being a winter cruise on e year we were white as ghosts and the kids got fried. I bought a bottle in Nassau for like $12.00!

Ziploc bags also come in handy when the kids want to swim the night before the cruise and you don't want to put damp swimsuits in with your nice clean cruise clothes that will sit for up to 5-6 hours before you can unpack.

Back to the first aid kit. I have a small clear makeup bag I've used for years. I keep bandaids, neosporin (every cut gets dabbed) tums, tylenol,eye drops, and extra finger splint I had, gauze, a few butterfly bandages we have left from some injury in the past.benedryl cream and pills ,tweezers, We used to carry motion meds with us but this is cruise 5 and haven't needed it yet so we don't bother anymore.

We also can't find a use for the over the door thing, never did figure out why people take bungees for the balcony doors either. Mine stay open without it.

The Over the Door Shoe organizer for Bathroom toiletries is a grt idea. Spray fabreeze or spray downy to get out wrinkles.

Magnets are a good idea- will add to my list. maybe small roll of tape. Hi-lite compasses & put up on wall or mirror.

We forgot playing cards last cruise. Taking dominos on next cruise. W & I enjoy. Binoculars definitely on this cruise list. We have balcony this time.

Extra memory card for the camera-

Cell phone charger for when you leave; want to charge it up.

copy of passports to leave at home with someone as well as your credit cards that you're taking.

Call your credit card companies that you'll be taking and be sure and tell them what countries you'll be using them in.

super glue- great for nail breaks (ladies)

Lanyard for your sea pass card' date=' i don't wear it round my neck but makes it easy to find in my bag..

spare glasses for me and daughter

travel plug with night light built in

alarm clock

shoes rack thingy for all our flip flops

coat hangers as there is never enough

usual med cupboard stuff

binoculars

aftersun

post it notes are great for writing little notes for our cabin steward

highlighter...

my list could go on.....:D:eek:[/quote']

Extra hangers are definitely a must!!! There are never enough! We usually keep the ones we get from the dry cleaners and bring them with us when we travel and then just leave them when we are done.

A cheap-o shoe organizer to hang over your closet door! I learned about that here on CC (and many other useful tips like the power strip and post-it notes) and it was essential :)

We did the parasailing at Labadee! Loved it!

We did, too. Great fun!

I always travel with a roll of duct tape. You never know when you need it.

I also added magnets to my list this year. Very useful to put stuff on the back of the door as reminders (don't want to forget to go to the champaign brunch!).

One odd thing I packed was a Sham Wow. DH likes to work out everyday, but didn't want to pack 7 gym outfits. Instead he brought some Woolite and washed his clothes in the shower after going to the gym. Then he rolled the clothes up in the Sham Wow and they were mostly dry by then.

Since we were in Alaska, we didn't want to try the drip dry method and have wet clothes the next day.

One thing I haven't seen noted here is a lightweight fold-up extra bag. We found several that are about 1 inch thick folded-up and about 24 inches by 10 inches by 10 inches unfolded. They are cheap and very light. Just throw one (or two) into the bottom of your regular bags.

Now what to do with them? They are great for bringing back souveniers, especially the RCCL swirl glasses! We have almost two dozen from several cruises. Just pack 'em in this cheap bag wrapped in a few T-shirts and carry them aboard the plane. They stuff under the seat quite nicely and you get home with intact glasses not broken shards. If they do break, it's your fault, not the airlines.

---------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2001

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

Something in 2009 - just have not decided yet

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - April 17, 2010

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day - 2011

I also added magnets to my list this year. Very useful to put stuff on the back of the door as reminders (don't want to forget to go to the champaign brunch!).

One odd thing I packed was a Sham Wow. DH likes to work out everyday, but didn't want to pack 7 gym outfits. Instead he brought some Woolite and washed his clothes in the shower after going to the gym. Then he rolled the clothes up in the Sham Wow and they were mostly dry by then.

Since we were in Alaska, we didn't want to try the drip dry method and have wet clothes the next day.

The Sham Wow! Now I've read a lot of these type of threads but this is a first for me. I have been wanting to get one of those but really couldn't think of why I need one, Now I have a great excuse! Thanks.

Most cell phones have clocks and alarms built in....save space in your luggage just use your phone....!:)

Careful with the cell phone! Check with your cellular carrier before you leave. I worked many years for a cell phone company (developing pricing plans and negotiating roaming agreements) and understand pricing intimately.

Once you are out at sea, the ship has the right to charge you a daily access charge - just for turning on your phone. You could also be subject to per minute rates from the ship, as well as international roaming rates from your carrier. Your carrier could also charge you a daily international roaming access charge. A single call/ text message could cost you over $10. It all depends on the fine print in the pricing plan you contracted for.

I had my teenagers leave their phones at home. It's just to tempting for them to turn on a "check a few text messages" - and quickly rack up a big bill. Make sure you understand how you will be charged before you use your phone.

In all fairness - when I was on Liberty, I noticed they did explain charges quite well in the stateroom guest services guide - but if you are not familiar with the lingo, it might not seem like its that excessive.

I always pack a dental repair kit, It has material that can be used to "fill" your own tooth if a filling falls out. You can also use the material to "reglue" a crown if it comes out. It is temporary, but should last the trip. (once I did such a good job, my dentist had trouble removing the crown to recement it with "regular" sealent) You can get it at Walgreens - look by the tooth ache products. It's cheap and small. (Much cheaper and easier than finding a dentist while on a cruise - not to mention the "pain" if you don't.)

My advise is to go easy on these lists, everything added takes space and weight in your suitcase... not a good idea if you're flying to port.

Really think things through before going out to purchase any of these items or when you go to pack. Only take the bare necessities, that can be different for all of us, so make up your own list. Chances are great that if you didn't think of it yourself, you really don't need it after all.

The over-the-door thing is really a waste unless you have more than 2 people in the cabin. The bathrooms have plenty of space for toiletries, plus the vanity has shelves behind the mirrors (on many ships).

We've never taken duct tape and never needed it. We don't bohter with pens, cups or much of the paraphernalia mentioned here.

We do take a small first aid kit, just a sampling of typical meds. Other than that, it's pretty much just our clothing and toiletry. I do have to admit to taking a portable DVD player, I can't sleep without it even at home.

Every trip we take we try to eliminate the junk, not think of more.

My advise is to go easy on these lists, everything added takes space and weight in your suitcase... not a good idea if you're flying to port.

Really think things through before going out to purchase any of these items or when you go to pack. Only take the bare necessities, that can be different for all of us, so make up your own list. Chances are great that if you didn't think of it yourself, you really don't need it after all.

The over-the-door thing is really a waste unless you have more than 2 people in the cabin. The bathrooms have plenty of space for toiletries, plus the vanity has shelves behind the mirrors (on many ships).

We've never taken duct tape and never needed it. We don't bohter with pens, cups or much of the paraphernalia mentioned here.

We do take a small first aid kit, just a sampling of typical meds. Other than that, it's pretty much just our clothing and toiletry. I do have to admit to taking a portable DVD player, I can't sleep without it even at home.

Happy ks... you sound very negative to me. i'm sure we don't need all the things that people suggest to pack, but we are adults and we can decide what might work for us. everyone is trying to help fellow cruisers and i think that is great. i have learned a lot of helpful information from these boards and don't think i'm alone.

Thanks for that! We are 1st time cruisers, and when reading all these things it's easy to get it in my head that I "need" all this stuff! I used to be such a good packer, I would only take a carry on just about anywhere and I would be fine for days! Now that I have kids, I seem to think that I "need" so many more things. The suitcases really fill up quickly! I agree that it would be useful to really pick and choose what looks important to us. There have been a couple of items listed that I never would have thought of, but that I do think I would use. I think we all find different things useful and it's been fantastic to see what everyone finds that they really use. I will go through the list and really choose what applies to us! Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.:)

Archived