Which port to purchase canned/smoked salmon?

Look2Sea

I bought some canned salmon as gifts from a store call Simply Salmon on Creek Street in Ketchikan. They had samples you could taste before selecting what you would buy. I bought several cans of different kinds of smoked salmon for friends back home.

For other gifts, I also bought the wooden pasta/salad claws, walrus tusk and jade pendants and little native children and Angel Christmas ornaments. I also made sure that what I was buying was made in Alaska. DD and I saved our shopping day for Ketchikan and we had lots of wonderful shops to choose from there!

Oh, and I bought 2 ulu knives in Denali made by the owner of the Denali Bed and Breakfast, where we stayed one night.

Besides these items, many other folks on this board have come up with other suggestions for gifts from Alaska, handmade totem poles, nesting dolls, etc. Just do a search and you'll come up with ideas.

Happy Shopping!

The place by the pier in Juneau is Taku Seafood. We originally tried to get some salmon (fresh , not canned) shipped to our neighbor from Ketchikan as that is supposed to be the "salmon capital"- were very surprised to find they don't have a processing place anymore. We went into one of the many small stores there and got some canned salmon (Silver Lining brand was recommended). They said they could ship fresh , but at an enormous shipping cost. In juneau, we found this place which was reasonable in shipping costs and had everything. The four pounds we shipped arrived at my neighbor's in two days. haven't tried:D it yet, but it sure looks good!

if you are going to mix the salmon in a dip etc, canned is fine. but if you are going to make a presentation look for the long flat boxes or foil packages. these are retorts or flexible cans (no refridgeration until opened) and contain a fillet that looks 'simply fab' on a platter as hors d'oeuvres.

don't just look at the lox, see if you can find some nova to let the salmon taste really come through.

good companies are:

http://www.portchatham.com/

http://www.tonkaseafoods.com/

http://takustore.com/

they don't have retorts so their product is perishable w/o refrigeration, but the best smoked salmon is at http://www.jerrysmeats.com/ , not convenient to the cruise dock but....

i wouldn't buy anything that i wasn't going to consume on the trip. shipping is so convenient.

Chinook & Co. in Ketchikan has wonderful canned salmon. They have jams and jelly too. It is woman owned and they use natural ingredients. They will let you try samples before you buy. A great shop!

Hi, Midwest!

Yes, we stayed at the Denali Dome Home Bed & Breakfast in Healy, owned by Terry and Ann Miller. Terry mades the ulus himself and they are beautiful. Here's a photo of some of them:

DDHomeulus.jpg

Thanks so much for the information and the picture..We stayed with Ann & Terry last year and this year it will just be me..Terry is quite the character isn't he? Can I also ask you how you brought them back? Do you think it would be best to ship them directly from Healy?

Archived