Little things to pack?

dna515

Go through your wallet and remove any credit cards, library cards or other items that you won't need on the cruise.

Then take the credit cards and make an enlarged copy of FRONT and BACK of each card you are taking. Make two sets. Leave one set at home with spouse unless traveling with them. Take along another set of cards and store in your safe on the ship.

Having had my purse stolen locally a few months ago, I know what it's like to be helpless while someone is using your credit card to fill up their gas tanks and buying breakfast at Jack in the Box.

My husband was in Italy at the time, and I made him copy all of his credit cards just in case he lost them and needed me to cancel his cards. Well, that was the list I used to contact all of the credit card companies as soon as I got done with the police report. Since then, I have also pre-programmed the phone numbers in my cell phone for each card to report lost or stolen. There is also a phone number to call collect if you are outside the US. Before you go, be sure to notify each credit card company that you will be out of the country, what dates you're traveling, and to which countries you'll be visiting.

I don't EVER want to have my credit cards stolen again!

My suggestion is not actually very small, but to me is very important. I travel nowhere without a small fan. Our last cruise in November, I could have sold it for big money to our friends we traveled with. It's good to block noise and I need white noise to sleep. I also need to feel air moving, so if it gets stuffy, I can have it blow right on me. I plug it in to the power strip I always take, and I am comfortable and good to go. Of course I also always bring my hot water pot to heat water for tea, my teabags, tea mugs, and wine key (opener). I love my creature comforts whether on the road or at home.

Hi all,

I strongly urge people NOT to take a coffe maker or hot water heater on the ship. The risk of causing a fire aboard ship is not worth the convenience of taking these appliances with you on a ship. I have read that the ship's staff will confiscate these items if they find them.

Fire at sea aboard a ship is a very serious danger. Just call room service for hot water/coffee.

One of the best ways we have found to keep track of S&S cards, especially with kids is to go to a staples or ofice depot and buy a different color plastic spring coil band for each person in your group. They can be worn on wrist or ankle when swiming. The purser desk will punch the hole if you do not want to bother bringing your own punch. As note above some like to bring it all some don't, I like to bring it. Can't tell you how much we have helped out others in need with differnt stuff. One thing I hate to but have to mention becasue it caught us off guard last time, is presonal hygene for ladies. My DW miscalculated and guess who went to the ships store bright and early one morning, yep dedicated DH, yours truly. :o Takes up little space, so bring some. I know we will from now on.

Cheers:)

let me tell you something.. you are a GREAT husband.. my husband would not, under any circumstances, will go and buy any femenine hygiene products for me. kudos for you!

Go through your wallet and remove any credit cards, library cards or other items that you won't need on the cruise.

Then take the credit cards and make an enlarged copy of FRONT and BACK of each card you are taking. Make two sets. Leave one set at home with spouse unless traveling with them. Take along another set of cards and store in your safe on the ship.

Having had my purse stolen locally a few months ago, I know what it's like to be helpless while someone is using your credit card to fill up their gas tanks and buying breakfast at Jack in the Box.

My husband was in Italy at the time, and I made him copy all of his credit cards just in case he lost them and needed me to cancel his cards. Well, that was the list I used to contact all of the credit card companies as soon as I got done with the police report. Since then, I have also pre-programmed the phone numbers in my cell phone for each card to report lost or stolen. There is also a phone number to call collect if you are outside the US. Before you go, be sure to notify each credit card company that you will be out of the country, what dates you're traveling, and to which countries you'll be visiting.

Along with this, if you and your spouse have multiple cards, each of you should carry different ones. For example, DW carries Visa and DH carries Mastercard. This way if one of you loses a card and you have to call to cancel it, the other person still has a card that they can use the rest of the trip. I know we have several cards (too many probably - but they all get points for different things) and one of us will carry for example our Disney Visa and the other the one from Southwest.

I've seen highlighters mentioned a few times on here,,,,,,,,,,

What do you use the highlighters for ? :)

Highlighting the cruise daily planner thingy they slide under you door for things you don't want to miss

High-light the Carnival Capers, there is so much listed that you will forget to go somewhere at a certain time and miss something you really wanted to do or see. Hairy legs contest, or maybe the art auction for the free Champange. :D:D:D Carry your capers with you around the ship, and refer back to it...

Quick question please ? :)

I've seen a highlighter mentioned a number of times in this thread,,,

What do you use the highlighter for ?

The highlighter is to highlight anything you want to go to on the Capers.

One thing I hate to but have to mention becasue it caught us off guard last time, is presonal hygene for ladies. My DW miscalculated and guess who went to the ships store bright and early one morning, yep dedicated DH, yours truly. :o Takes up little space, so bring some. I know we will from now on.

I was going to mention the same thing. Happened to me on my honeymoon of all times :mad:. From now on, I'm going to pack them "just in case" because sometimes it can catch you off guard, even if you did calculate correctly.

I was going to mention the same thing. Happened to me on my honeymoon of all times :mad:. From now on, I'm going to pack them "just in case" because sometimes it can catch you off guard, even if you did calculate correctly.

My doctor told me that when vacationing in the sun to make sure to be prepared. For some reason that can sometimes trigger it. She has me on birth control constantly to control migraines so I never know when it may come and it never fails that when I am on a vacation in the sun ...

My doctor told me that when vacationing in the sun to make sure to be prepared. For some reason that can sometimes trigger it. She has me on birth control constantly to control migraines so I never know when it may come and it never fails that when I am on a vacation in the sun ...

Way to much info:D

I'll go with the making copies, etc. But not cleaning out the wallet right before traveling.

A guys wallet is a part of them, and when ever I change the configuration I need some time to get 're-trained', because a new wallet configuration can make me either forget it or experience a few seconds of panic feeling 'OMG Where's my Wallet!"

Another thing some forget is call your CC company and tell them you're traveling, sometimes they'll put a 'hold' on the card after the first overseas charge.

These are all great ideas. I'm writing them all down and heading to Walmart!:) Question: I see water bottles, soda, coffee, so does that mean the rooms usually have a mini fridge and coffee maker(can't imagine a coffee maker):confused:? I'm on Carnival Splendor 7/29/2009

These are all great ideas. I'm writing them all down and heading to Walmart!:) Question: I see water bottles, soda, coffee, so does that mean the rooms usually have a mini fridge and coffee maker(can't imagine a coffee maker):confused:? I'm on Carnival Splendor 7/29/2009

Mini Fridge yes, coffee maker, no. The Splendor was gorgeous! Some people take a 4-cup coffee maker. I always take my electric hot water pot for my morning tea (and tea bags, tea mugs, spoon). Have a wonderful trip.

Mini Fridge yes, coffee maker, no. The Splendor was gorgeous! Some people take a 4-cup coffee maker. I always take my electric hot water pot for my morning tea (and tea bags, tea mugs, spoon). Have a wonderful trip.

Is that 'allowed' I know the voltage in the cabins is less than your home for powering high wattage stuff.

Is that 'allowed' I know the voltage in the cabins is less than your home for powering high wattage stuff.

I have never hidden the kettle. I do take a power strip for convenience, but have not had any trouble with the pot in 5 cruises. I think it must be "okay". :)

I've seen several posting here about bringing a highlighter. I feel silly, but I can't think of its use on a cruise. Will someone fill me in? :)

When you read your Compass before bed, you can highlight things you want to do onboard the next day. Then each time you refer to it, you don't have to scan through the multitude of activities. Makes it MUCH easier.

Edit: I just remembered I'm on a Carnie board, even though I've never sailed Carnie...out of habit I typed "Compass" for RCI. I meant Capers, in case someone wasn't sure.

Take a bottle of Visene with you. It cost me $11 for a SMALL bottle on the Liberty. It comes in handy after all the contact with salt air and water......and drinking. And if you ARE planning on drinking, get a pack of Chaser pills, and take one BEFORE you start imbibing. You can get them at CVS, Rite Aid, Eckard, etc. You don't want to spend part of your cruise hunched over in your cabin because of a hangover.:eek:

Of all the little things we've taken on cruises, the things we've actually used are plastic clothes pins from the dollar store, laundry bags from the dollar store, a power strip, flash light, and an alarm clock. I'm old and I often take a nap in the afternoon; it keeps me from missing dinner. :p

Doc:D

Extra Sunglases! I forgot sunglasses on my first cruise and had to pay $20 for the ugliest pair I've ever seen. The next year I had a pair, but they fell in the river on a rafting trip (luckily a friend had a spare pair). Now I always pack at least two pair. They are cheap enough at Wal-Mart and I can find some that are cute.

Someone already mentioned a pop-up hamper and I agree! It was amazing to keep our tiny cabin clean and it made it easy to pack the clean clothes in one suitcase and dirties in the other.

A suggestion instead of a coffee pot is a french press. You can get hot water from room service and still have your fav coffee.

Highlighting the cruise daily planner thingy they slide under you door for things you don't want to miss

High-light the Carnival Capers, there is so much listed that you will forget to go somewhere at a certain time and miss something you really wanted to do or see. Hairy legs contest, or maybe the art auction for the free Champange. :D:D:D Carry your capers with you around the ship, and refer back to it...

The highlighter is to highlight anything you want to go to on the Capers.

Thanks ya'll for that information,,,,,,:)

I haven't been on a cruise in 18 years,, and VERY excited,,,,, Cruising the Valor on July 5th and learning everything I can as fast as possible :D

Archived