Mariner Signatures or Latitudes

louanddave

I'd go for Signatures, but why do you think you'll only be able to do one? You should have no problems with doing both. They're entirely different restaurants. Signatures is gourmet French and Lattitudes is generally Asian fusion. However, they did change the format for Latitudes last time we were aboard to a different theme every 6 or 7 days. That usually occurs on the longer cruises, because there is so much setup required to change themes. Enjoy them both! For my money, once of each is enough though. Compass Rose has great food and menu selection.

Perhaps the definition of luxury is not having to choose between two wonderful things. Signatures is elegant with great french food and impeccable service. Latitudes is a bit more edgy with Asian fusion (you only choose the entree, everything else is already set (in sets of three no less, i.e. three minibowls of soup). I don't think I've ever heard a bad review of Signatures, Latitudes is a bit controversial as I think some people are less comfortable with a set menu and fusion meals. However, Latitudes is my personal favorite.

With Chef Tobias in Compass Rose now, I would just stick to that one. We were on Mariner on November, ate at both specialty restaurants, and far preferred Compass Rose.

Lattitudes is Pacific Rim, and very "different". Signatures, on the night we ate there, was okay, but Compass Rose was always great.

If I HAD to choose only one, I'd pick Signatures - we had two outstanding meals there on a one week cruise, with different entrees, appetizers and deserts each time [although I repeated the bisque!]. Latitudes was fun, but not as impressive and outstanding. Some of the best food we ate was in the Compass Rose, like the cold Blueberry Soup for lunch, but overall, the experience at Signatures was one of the highlights of the cruise.

I'll be sailing solo on Mariner, but always enjoy dining with a group. I've learned to make my reservations asap in the alternative restaurants, and probably will not have hooked up with any particular people by the time I make the reservations. Will they combine me with others at the alternatives, the way they do in the main dining room?

Archived