Where do you prefer to sit in the MDR and can you request

Hi Folks,

This will be our first RC cruise and I have been reading tons of tips here on cc. You folks are wonderful!!

I have a question about seating arrangements in the MDR. (Mariner of the Seas). What can you specifically request? When we first booked, we were put at a table for 6-8 people, 1st seating. I was a little concerned because Dh and I are travelling with 2 teens. We don't mind sharing a table with others and wanted our kids (1st time cruisers) to experience meeting fellow tablemates. On the other hand, we did not want to feel unwelcome at someone elses table who would prefer not to dine with teens.

When I phoned yesterday to make our final payment, the rep asked if we would like a window table for 4? ...I said sure!! I don't know why I didn't think to request that sooner, but then I thought I better check with my CC buddies to get their opinions. :D LOL.

I have read that many of you prefer to sit at large tables in the middle of the MDR. ...Why?.... Am I missing something? What are the "preferred" locations in the MDR?.... Is a window table a good choice? ....Is it better to sit near the railing? As long as I'm not next to the kitchen or a service station I'm happy. ( I sit near the kitchen too much at home as it is.) :)

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated! Where would you prefer to sit with 2 teens?

Personally, I loved the window table we had on Jewel. It was a table for six and we were three couples traveling together. The location was perfect and we had plenty to talk about with each other because we were all friends.

When we cruise by ourselves, we normally request a large table because we enjoy the opportunity to socialize with others. However, when you do this, you have to be prepared that you might not enjoy *all* the personalities at that table. We're pretty laid back, so it's never been a problem for us. However, my mother can tell you plenty of stories of nightmare tablemates she's had on cruises. It's kind of a crap shoot.

On the first couple of cruises we thought we'd enjoy sitting by the windows. When it comes right down to it, most of our dinners have been after the sun had set. There's really not that much to see. Now we really don't care where the table is located.

In Alaska, if you want to enjoy your meal it's really best to not be anywhere near a window. All it takes is one excited cruiser to shout WHALE! and everyone in the dining room comes runnning over. Never mind that you're trying to eat. Those elbows to the back of the head from some goober looking desperately for a tiny speck of a whale on the horizon shouldn't be a problem.

In Alaska, if you want to enjoy your meal it's really best to not be anywhere near a window. All it takes is one excited cruiser to shout WHALE! and everyone in the dining room comes runnning over. Never mind that you're trying to eat. Those elbows to the back of the head from some goober looking desperately for a tiny speck of a whale on the horizon shouldn't be a problem.

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Great visual and excellent advice to boot! LMAO!! :D

Eric

On the first couple of cruises we thought we'd enjoy sitting by the windows. When it comes right down to it, most of our dinners have been after the sun had set. There's really not that much to see. Now we really don't care where the table is located.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

:D ;)

I would prefer a table on the 3rd level in the central part of the dining room, not the alcove areas where you cannot see anything. If on the fourth or fifth level dining rooms, definitely by the railing so I can see what is happening down below. Not that I have ever sat in any of these areas...:o

We have always chosen to sit alone with our teens. Not that they aren't well behaved with others but we find it is a good time to reconnect as a family. I always try to get a table by the window but that is just me and it doesn't really matter.

Once at lunch in the MDR on a Carnival ship we were seated with a couple who spent the whole meal saying how are kids were spoiled and that they had left their three at home. My kids didn't even try to argue back, I was so proud of them but it was at that point that I vowed to sit alone. I can't imagine spending a whole week with someone like that.

Enjoy the precious family time together!

I can understand wanting to sit at a table for 4 with just your family. It makes sense as that would be a great time to connect with your teens.

Normally, I like 6 people table as anything larger makes it hard for converstions with everyone. I also like tables on the second level close to the rail because I can see what is going on when the waiters sing and dance plus it feels less clostophobic. As for window seats, it usually gets dark early in the Carribbean and you can't see out anyway.

We had MTD on the LOS a couple weeks ago - and were on deck 5 (3rd level) - right on the railing (across from the dining room entrance) and could look down at the chandelier and the middle of the first level on deck 3. It was a great table!

We have always chosen to sit alone with our teens. Not that they aren't well behaved with others but we find it is a good time to reconnect as a family. I always try to get a table by the window but that is just me and it doesn't really matter.

Once at lunch in the MDR on a Carnival ship we were seated with a couple who spent the whole meal saying how are kids were spoiled and that they had left their three at home. My kids didn't even try to argue back, I was so proud of them but it was at that point that I vowed to sit alone. I can't imagine spending a whole week with someone like that.

I love this monicajay...this is exactly how I feel. My family of 4 also with 2 teens cruised to Alaska last year and had a wonderful table for just the 4 of us and dinner was always so nice...I really looked forward to talking and laughing together....it was great watching them try new things too...more adventurous as the week went on! We are again cruising to Alaska next month and have requested a table for 4...I've cruised several times with out the kids and always sit at a table for 8 but somehow want my "babies" to myself...just like you said...great family time! :p

monicajay~ I can't imagine sitting with people like that all week either! Your kids held more restraint than I would have done in that situation. LOL.:D

We enjoy spending time with our teens and are very excited to be able to take them on their first cruise. As someone else stated, I think the company is more important than the location, so I guess I will leave the reservation as it is with just the 4 of us dining together.... But I may ask to move closer to the railing....I think my teens would enjoy all the action and definitely want to see the waiters sing etc. (At least on their first cruise.)

Thanks!.....We do plan to enjoy the precious family time together, as this vacation will be our last family getaway before DS heads off to college in the fall...... I'm looking forward to creating some lasting memories with them and can't wait to see their reactions when they step onto the Mariner! :)

I can understand wanting to sit at a table for 4 with just your family. It makes sense as that would be a great time to connect with your teens.

Normally, I like 6 people table as anything larger makes it hard for converstions with everyone. I also like tables on the second level close to the rail because I can see what is going on when the waiters sing and dance plus it feels less clostophobic. As for window seats, it usually gets dark early in the Carribbean and you can't see out anyway.

Help! I guess I'm still not understanding the big attraction to sit by the railing....I know the waiters sing on 1 night but what will I be missing on the other 6 nights by sitting at the window? Is it just the chance to experience the "grandiose" feeling of the dining room or is it more for the people watching?.....

Does anyone have photos of the MDR on Mariner?

Archived