Two questions about dinner seating.

LauraG

Hello,

I am going on the Legend with my family on December 29. I have some questions about dinner seating. Since we have children with us,...

how much of a tip is custom? (We are a group of 7).

Hi Laura, we are Lisa & Guy, we'll be on the ship too.

We're bringing our kids (6f/14m) and chose the late seating for two reasons.

The first is what fits our life, and the second is what we we're more comfortable with.

First, here, my wife get's home around 6pm, and a decent meal is ready by 7pm. So we stayed with the late sitting.

Second, we found last year on our first cruise (Carnival Victory) that there were two dining rooms, the first one used (early seating) was notably more posh.

My suggestion is to plan the first night with what you are used to, and research your options. You'll find you don't need to commit to anything, you can grab a hot or cold sandwich and/or hit the buffet instead of any of the formal options. Missed dinner because of the show? There is stuff to eat like Pizza and salads 24/hrs a day. Relax. It's a vacation.

Now, as for tipping. Do what you're comfortable with. We paid the whatever it was to include tipping. If we were greatful each night, we simply said thank you to the nice people. At the end of the cruise (the last full day) we found the people we liked and gave them something in an envelope (the info desk will give you tip envelopes) and a few kind words. Mostly only got a 5 dollar bill with 2 exceptions, and those folks got 10 (total extra for us was $50 or $60). But the point was I found them and said thank you. If I had nothing to give I still would have found them to AT LEAST say thank you. Don't wait until the last day, the girl that served you last night is packing bags and stacking luggage today - they really do work hard.

Now my last point (I promise) is a tip to the luggage guy(s). Last year our airfair from Albany NY put us on a bus at the airport that took us to the docks. There were plenty of people in the airport to point the way to the Carnival bus. There was gentleman (the driver) that puts your bags in the holding compartment and gives you a vocal tour to the docks (8 miles?). Give him a little something if you can. This wasn't a push with us, but he was nice. Off of the bus there was a guy that insisted you stand by your luggage before he "allowed" you to carry it away. On this very website I read horror stories about this guy. Make sure you have all your bags, hand him a dollar or two and run.

At this point I'll let you make up you're own mind about the boarding times for the ship. Ours was great, about a 45 min in line time (I thought that reasonable) and we sailed about an hour later.

If we didn't have a good time on the first cruise, we wouldn't be going on the second one.

Guy & Lisa (near Albany NY)

Guy, maybe I'm misunderstanding some of your comments? I'll reply in BOLD print.

there were two dining rooms, the first one used (early seating) was notably more posh.

This makes no sense. Both dining rooms are basically the same. Are you maybe comparing the dining room to the Lido dining area?

Missed dinner because of the show? There is stuff to eat like Pizza and salads 24/hrs a day.

How could you 'miss dinner because of a show'? If you have early seating, you go to the early show - late seating, you go to the late show. They have it timed this way so everybody can have dinner and see the shows.

there was a guy that insisted you stand by your luggage before he "allowed" you to carry it away. On this very website I read horror stories about this guy. Make sure you have all your bags, hand him a dollar or two and run.

Never heard of such a thing. You simply go to the luggage holding area, get your luggage, and leave.

Guy & Lisa (near Albany NY)

I would love to know like asked if you can request a change mid cruise. Anyone know? I am scheduled for late seating b/c of going with a group. But I have a 4yr old and think this is going to be a problem. I would love to stick with our group but if it becomes a problem.........Maybe Camp Carnival here he comes.... dinner for him on Lido earlier, maybe...

Oh, I hope I am not jinxing(sp) myself-our 1st two cruises we requested & got late seating. Our 3rd cruise (with children) we requested & got early. Our next cruise we have requested early, so we shall see.

It amazes me how in the world changes can be made, after all if everyone is assigned time & table at boarding.......well, glad it's not my job!

Halos in reply to your question- it seems it's a crap shoot to me--75% of the time we have received what we wanted- the other 25% not----our last 3 cruises we had requested early and ended up with late---so a trip to see the maitr'e d was in order. No we did not tip to make this change---we did tip at the end.

I've heard the earlier u book, the better your chances are- but on our last cruise on the Glory in Nov, we had had that booked for about 8 months and still got stuck with late and had to change it--so who knows.

For the op that said assisgments are done at the port when u ck in--no way-----they are usually done by the maitre'd in advance- that's why they are on your sail and sign card when u check in.

For the original poster- you are on the Legend and there is only 1 dining room- 2 levels- so it's either 615 or 815

Hope this helps.....

For the op that said assisgments are done at the port when u ck in--no way-----they are usually done by the maitre'd in advance- that's why they are on your sail and sign card when u check in.

As far as the pax is concerned they haven't been assigned a seating until they get to the port and get their S&S Card.:rolleyes:

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everybody for their informative answers. I'll keep my fingers crossed for early seating. The reason I was concerned about it in the first place is that somebody had mentioned in another thread that early seating seems to fill up during school holidays. (Yes, a case where too much information begins to cause worries-- if I hadn't read that, I would just have assumed that I would get my request!). It's also nice to know that I can just tip the Maitre'd a few dollars at the end of the cruise. I had visions of me having to fight enormous crowds and waive money in the air while the wait staff took bids for dinner reservations. I'm not particularly sophisticated when it comes to travel--hoping to learn through experience though.

Hello, Guy and Lisa-- we'll have a 14 year old boy with us on the Legend too. Hopefully the little hermit will actually leave the cabin and make some friends!

Laura

I would love to know like asked if you can request a change mid cruise. Anyone know? I am scheduled for late seating b/c of going with a group. But I have a 4yr old and think this is going to be a problem. I would love to stick with our group but if it becomes a problem.........Maybe Camp Carnival here he comes.... dinner for him on Lido earlier, maybe...

If you do change in mid cruise, and if you enjoyed your waiter during the first of the cruise you may want to slip them a little extra after you change, otherwise they may be short on tips, due to fewer people in their section.

we'll have a 14 year old boy with us on the Legend too. Hopefully the little hermit will actually leave the cabin and make some friends!

Laura

Laura: take your hermit to the very first meeting of teens the first night- He may not like it but too bad..lol Once he is there--he will have a greeat time the rest of the week. this is when all the teens meetand l start with their weekly clicks. This meeting is VERY important for him. He will have the best time of his life I bet...and you will hardly ever see him

Archived