All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

You will bring the beach towels assigned to your cabin, and if you need more, like we did, other towels are available on HMC.

Edit- what I just wrote is HAL's policy/procedure. I see you are on Carnival. Not sure of their policy.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You will bring the beach towels assigned to your cabin, and if you need more, like we did, other towels are available on HMC.

Edit- what I just wrote is HAL's policy/procedure. I see you are on Carnival. Not sure of their policy.

Yes, we are on the Liberty. Thank you for trying though:)

Can anyone advise on Carnival's excursion?

Any thing else I should know with the cabana rental? It's our first time at HMC and I'm so excited for this stop. I'm looking at cabana #8, 9 or 10 as my first choices if possible. I don't want to be all the way up to 15, but don't want to be right in the middle of the biggest crowds on the beach. Do these cabana #s sound about right for that?

Yes, that's pretty good. I'd probably exclude #8 from the list, and add #11 as a possible "target" since 8 is on the "busy" side of the walkway from the beach up to the restrooms.

You'll want to get to Shore Excursions as quick as you can after boarding. If you don't qualify for early boarding (as a Diamond, Platinum or suite guest), you'll want to get Faster to the Fun for your cabin so you can beat the hordes. (If we hadn't had FttF on my last cruise, we'd have been stuck with Cabana #5 or less. It was literally a matter of seconds.)

You'll love the Liberty! Aside from our too-hot oceanview (we were eventually moved to a balcony) and dismal service in the MDR, it is my favorite Carnival ship so far.

HELLO FELLOW CRUISERS! I apologize if I'm hitting on something that was already discussed, I tried but couldn't read every single page. I suffer from ADD. But would appreciate all input on horseback riding in HMC. VS. GRAND TURK. and also if they offer jet skis in HMC what are the prices?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Yes, that's pretty good. I'd probably exclude #8 from the list, and add #11 as a possible "target" since 8 is on the "busy" side of the walkway from the beach up to the restrooms.

You'll want to get to Shore Excursions as quick as you can after boarding. If you don't qualify for early boarding (as a Diamond, Platinum or suite guest), you'll want to get Faster to the Fun for your cabin so you can beat the hordes. (If we hadn't had FttF on my last cruise, we'd have been stuck with Cabana #5 or less. It was literally a matter of seconds.)

You'll love the Liberty! Aside from our too-hot oceanview (we were eventually moved to a balcony) and dismal service in the MDR, it is my favorite Carnival ship so far.

Thanks! I'll add 11 to the lists of choices. We do have FTTF and plan to hightail it to the excursion desk right away. I'll have to tell DH I secretly booked the cabana or he'll think I've gone goofy running for the excursion desk instead of our cabin :D I really don't want mind being somewhat close to the crowds and bars. I just keep reading about renting the cabana and then having people just walk up and plop themselves down like the cabana is for anyone who wants to come up and use it. Or people walking up and taking your floats. While I'm certainly not one to be afraid of telling someone we've paid for these items ahead of time, please do not take them, it's suppose to be a day of rest and relaxation and I would, of course, prefer to avoid any such confrontation. I was assuming we'd have less of this if we were further up the beach.

Frist time on HMC ---in the snorkel area are there beach chairs? or do you have to rent a clam shell? how is the snorkleing is worth bring all our own gear?

We've been to HMC 3 times and the snorkeling varied greatly each time. First time the tide was rising and fairly rough so just about all we could see was a milky white color underwater. 2nd time was better, still not real clear but did see a school of silvery fish and a huge barracuda which the employees around HMC have named. The 3rd time the tide was low and the water was quite clear. Much to my surprise, we saw quite a few fish that time! Even saw an octopus, schools of smaller fish including a school of smaller barracuda. That was the only time we could get close to the rock wall where a lot more fish were. If you'd like to see my pictures from then, check this out---

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2012/11/2012-hal-11-night-caribbean-cruise.html HMC was our last port, so just page down if you don't want to see the other stuff. I also did the snorkel excursion at HMC on our 1st cruise there ( here's the blog to that trip with pictures of the snorkel area at HMC: http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2010/11/another-dam-vacation.html#more ) That area was really great! I've wanted to walk over to it since it's not far from the tender port, but didn't know if we're allowed to. And, yes, there are lots of chairs at the free snorkel area---it's actually the area closest to the tender port.

Edited by slabeaume

Thanks! I'll add 11 to the lists of choices. We do have FTTF and plan to hightail it to the excursion desk right away. I'll have to tell DH I secretly booked the cabana or he'll think I've gone goofy running for the excursion desk instead of our cabin :D

You can always pass it off as "looking for any open slots on the Behind the Fun tour." :)

I had #11 on my last cruise to HMC and it was fine. DO be aware that ship's staff will reclaim anything that isn't tied down around an hour before your scheduled departure (i.e., serving plates, etc.) so plan on finishing your snacks before then...or take 'em back with you onto the boat. :)

I really don't want mind being somewhat close to the crowds and bars. I just keep reading about renting the cabana and then having people just walk up and plop themselves down like the cabana is for anyone who wants to come up and use it. Or people walking up and taking your floats. While I'm certainly not one to be afraid of telling someone we've paid for these items ahead of time, please do not take them, it's suppose to be a day of rest and relaxation and I would, of course, prefer to avoid any such confrontation. I was assuming we'd have less of this if we were further up the beach.

Yes, you will, further up the beach.

The same sort of entitlement mentality that allows someone to steal stuff from a plainly-marked "private" cabana is also the same sort of lazy mentality that keeps most such would-be thieves from wandering too far down from the tender pier...although there have been some exceptions reported here on CC, even as far as Cabana #15.

Edited by Pellaz

Does anyone get a lowered number cabana?

Every time I read about these, people are saying high numbers are better and there is a race to claim numbers 9 and up.

Just curious who is staying in the first few cabanas and why they are not desired. Based on the map, they seem to be a good location to the action and bar.

Every time I read about these, people are saying high numbers are better and there is a race to claim numbers 9 and up.

Just curious who is staying in the first few cabanas and why they are not desired. Based on the map, they seem to be a good location to the action and bar.

Oh, they are. But "closer to the action" also means "people might take your stuff" if you're away from the cabana, or try to appropriate the perks provided with the cabana. At the very least, expect to answer a lot of questions from lookie-loos.

Still, if you can leave someone at the cabana all the time to watch your stuff (and possibly driving off covetous or just curious fellow cruisers), they'd be good for families with kids. Also, I think Cabana #1 is the only one that is wheelchair-accessible.

Yes, that's why I was looking at the higher number cabins. I've read over and over again about how people pay the money for these cabanas. Then they have people just pulling their floats off of the cabana and taking them to use. Walking up and sitting inside the cabana or using the shower, putting all of their stuff on the cabana steps so they don't have to set it in the sand, ect.

From what I've understood, the lower number cabanas are closer to the bars, and they also have many many more people on the beach in front of them. If you look at photos of the beach, you can see a huge difference between the number of people in front of the lower #'d cabanas and the higher #'d ones.

While I'm perfectly fine with the people in front of the cabana I'm in, I'm mainly trying to avoid having to watch my stuff constantly so it isn't dragged off by someone who assumes that they can use it even though we paid over $200.00 for it. ;)

Our personal favorite is #4. Walk over the stairs behind it and you are on your way to the food pavilion.

Bars and restroom nearby.

It becomes a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for all the replies, I was actually eyeing #4 as the location seemed great.

Looks like it's something to think about.

I appreciate everyone's input on cabana location. :)

You won't be disappointed. We can highly recommend it. It has easy access to everything. Not too close to the beginning of the beach where the crowds like to gather.

Hi. I reserved a cabana for my Spendor Sailing in July. I know I recently read (maybe in this thread, maybe another) that they have reduced the items that they leave in the cabana, specifically no more guacamole (still get chips and salsa, just the guac is gone) and no more veggie platter.

I believe this was reported recently (like within the last month)

I am looking for experiences from March 2014 on.

Thanks! :D

Hi. I reserved a cabana for my Spendor Sailing in July. I know I recently read (maybe in this thread, maybe another) that they have reduced the items that they leave in the cabana, specifically no more guacamole (still get chips and salsa, just the guac is gone) and no more veggie platter.

Welcome to cruise reality in 2014. All of the cruise lines are making small cutbacks just to pinch pennies,

We noticed this reduction last August.

This what we were used to getting....

CF139.JPG

This is what we got.....

A543.JPG

We noticed this reduction last August.

This what we were used to getting....

CF139.JPG

This is what we got.....

A543.JPG

How recently?

We were there in October and our perks were like the first photo, except that the bag of chips was generic, not Tostito's. We were satisfied with it....but I wish we could have gotten eight apples instead of eight oranges!