Pearl May 31st Cruise

roger001

This is a review of a 7 day Alaska cruise, 5/31/09, on NCL Pearl by a first time cruiser. Excellent. NCL has their act together. As part of the package, we had a 1 night stay at Embassy Suites in Seattle. Arriving at the hotel, all was ready, no signing, nothing. Just go to room. Letter from NCL was awaiting us describing Sunday’s events. It directed us to have luggage outside door Sunday morning for transport to ship, bus would be by hour an later for us. Did, and it went smooth as clockwork, after good breakfast Sunday morning. Arrived at dock, and in spite of crowd, went very fast. Processed quickly through check in, issued room and on board credit card. Lots of help directing you as needed. Ship boarding moved quickly around noon. Hand carried some luggage and 2 twelve packs of diet Pepsi on board. Met with friendly staff and champagne, directed up to deck 12 for food and band while waiting for rooms to be available at 2 pm. Super organized and friendly staff. Rooms opened around 2. Last of luggage showed up at room before 6 pm. The cruise was excellent with the best one week of weather they’ve experienced in 5 years. 75 and sunny every day. About the staff, they couldn’t be nicer, and genuinely so. Wife and I loved sitting up in the Spinnaker Lounge each evening before dinner for a few adult beverages. Prices are about usual for hotel/restaurant type dining. Beer around $5, drinks $6 to $9. Tipping. I did not once see any one expecting a tip for anything. Service appeared honest without that expectation. I tipped 3 services because I wanted to. I tipped the waiter in the lounges serving the drinks a dollar for each round served. The bartender is already covered in an add on fee on the bar bill. I tipped the waiters in the sit down restaurants about $5 for an evening meal service. I gave our room stewards (2) $30 total on the last night. If you never tipped at all, I don’t think it would be wrong. The $12 daily service charge per persons covers much all of that already. However, you will find some very nice employees helping you and I wanted to add a little extra. Food. All you will be able to eat. The free food areas are very good. There are several informal eating opportunities that have a wide variety of about everything for all 3 meals or throughout the day. There are two sit down dining rooms that become slightly more formal in the evening, excellent service, excellent food, excellent presentation. For evening, slacks and collared shirt is fine for guys. They have a different menu each day with several usual items also available. Although the food is great, they do not have the lobster and steak super dining on other more formal cruise lines. Love the chilled soups. However, NCL has apparently decided to go with the specialty restaurants for the gourmet level dining. There’s about 8 of those with a cover charge from $10 to $35 per person. We only tried the Italian restaurant at $10, and it was great, well worth the extra charge. All of these restaurants are similar to eating at a fine restaurant in a large city but for about one half the cost. So it’s your choice. You won’t go wrong free or other wise. Again, NCL has it together. Last night gives you the opportunity to have them take your bags for you Sunday morning when leaving the ship. We did, and after a good breakfast, with tears, we went ashore. For a first time cruise, it was all expected and more. We were very happy with the total experience.

This is a review of a 7 day Alaska cruise, 5/31/09, on NCL Pearl by a first time cruiser. Excellent. NCL has their act together. As part of the package, we had a 1 night stay at Embassy Suites in Seattle. Arriving at the hotel, all was ready, no signing, nothing. Just go to room. Letter from NCL was awaiting us describing Sunday’s events. It directed us to have luggage outside door Sunday morning for transport to ship, bus would be by hour an later for us. Did, and it went smooth as clockwork, after good breakfast Sunday morning. Arrived at dock, and in spite of crowd, went very fast. Processed quickly through check in, issued room and on board credit card. Lots of help directing you as needed. Ship boarding moved quickly around noon. Hand carried some luggage and 2 twelve packs of diet Pepsi on board. Met with friendly staff and champagne, directed up to deck 12 for food and band while waiting for rooms to be available at 2 pm. Super organized and friendly staff. Rooms opened around 2. Last of luggage showed up at room before 6 pm. The cruise was excellent with the best one week of weather they’ve experienced in 5 years. 75 and sunny every day. About the staff, they couldn’t be nicer, and genuinely so. Wife and I loved sitting up in the Spinnaker Lounge each evening before dinner for a few adult beverages. Prices are about usual for hotel/restaurant type dining. Beer around $5, drinks $6 to $9. Tipping. I did not once see any one expecting a tip for anything. Service appeared honest without that expectation. I tipped 3 services because I wanted to. I tipped the waiter in the lounges serving the drinks a dollar for each round served. The bartender is already covered in an add on fee on the bar bill. I tipped the waiters in the sit down restaurants about $5 for an evening meal service. I gave our room stewards (2) $30 total on the last night. If you never tipped at all, I don’t think it would be wrong. The $12 daily service charge per persons covers much all of that already. However, you will find some very nice employees helping you and I wanted to add a little extra. Food. All you will be able to eat. The free food areas are very good. There are several informal eating opportunities that have a wide variety of about everything for all 3 meals or throughout the day. There are two sit down dining rooms that become slightly more formal in the evening, excellent service, excellent food, excellent presentation. For evening, slacks and collared shirt is fine for guys. They have a different menu each day with several usual items also available. Although the food is great, they do not have the lobster and steak super dining on other more formal cruise lines. Love the chilled soups. However, NCL has apparently decided to go with the specialty restaurants for the gourmet level dining. There’s about 8 of those with a cover charge from $10 to $35 per person. We only tried the Italian restaurant at $10, and it was great, well worth the extra charge. All of these restaurants are similar to eating at a fine restaurant in a large city but for about one half the cost. So it’s your choice. You won’t go wrong free or other wise. Again, NCL has it together. Last night gives you the opportunity to have them take your bags for you Sunday morning when leaving the ship. We did, and after a good breakfast, with tears, we went ashore. For a first time cruise, it was all expected and more. We were very happy with the total experience.

Hi, Roger001! I'm glad to hear you had a good cruise. We were on the Star the same week you were on the Pearl and I'll agree with you about the weather--it was phenomenal! How was Glacier Bay? Did Margerie Glacier do any calving?

Here's a picture of the Pearl as she is approaching Juneau about 1:15 PM Tuesday. We were on the little excursion boat to Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier. The second is of the Pearl in Skagway just before 6 AM Wednesday morning.

201_0129.jpg.5001aa032d3d399930f58ac2d6d7a633.jpg

202_0293.jpg.7d4f3670affa1542831e89a5344753e0.jpg

So happy to hear you liked the Pearl. We loved it, too. Lucky you with the weather!:D

Did you have a Meet & Greet?

Just curious - you said the cover charge varies from $10-35. The highest I've seen (Cagney's & Teppanyaki) is $25.

Now there are some additional charge items in Cagney's such as lobster tails ($10) so that would total $35. Could that be what you are thinking of or has NCL just raised prices?:confused:

Hi Barb. No. You're correct. I factored in the additional $10 at Cagney's. We didn't participate in a meet and greet. My wife and myself were already too busy just taking it all in. Reference the beautiful weather, I sure can't complain for that being my first look at Alaska. I did tell my wife that we will have to head back soon for a nice cool, rainy visit to see the real Alaska.

Roger - thanks for the review. Which restaurants are "free"? Just the dining room? How about room service? NCL's website says they have lobster every night. Sounds like it's not in the dining room, just at Cagney's. Is that correct? If so, I think their marketing is a little misleading.

Roger - thanks for the review. Which restaurants are "free"? Just the dining room? How about room service? NCL's website says they have lobster every night. Sounds like it's not in the dining room, just at Cagney's. Is that correct? If so, I think their marketing is a little misleading.

Hi Lessa. They must be talking about Cagney's reference the lobster. The two larger and more formal (very attractive) free sit down service restaurants are Summer Palace and Indigos, Summer Palace being the larger. They both serve the same menu, just different places to sit and eat. The food and service is great in both. They are open for all 3 meal times, however request no shorts or jeans for the evening meal. Blue Lagoon is a casual sit down restaurant just above the main lobby area. It is free and more burger, fish and chips, snack type place. I believe it's open 24 hrs, although I was never up that late. While in dock, there was an outdoor grill open each time, free, with grilled chicken, burgers, brat, etc. It is out by the deck around the pool area. Then there is the free huge buffet area, Garden Cafe, with food stations which will individually prepare for you whatever they are serving. Their selection is extreme I felt and something for everyone, including deserts and ice cream stations...ummm. Garden Cafe has plenty of indoor sitting, restaurant type tables and booths. On the back behind Garden Cafe and on the open deck is another free grill type food station. It is open throughout the day and into the evening serving something appropriate for all 3 meals. We did all breakfast out there because of the beautiful weather. You can get you eggs cooked as you wish with all type omelets cooked to your order. My wife ate a lot of the fruit, melons, etc and said it was always very good. All the bread and pastries we had were always very good. Coffee and juice is available in all previously mentioned locations. There is a free Latte, etc machine located between Garden Cafe and the back deck. I'm probably leaving out some stuff. I didn't use room service, but saw many on my deck doing so. It's free, although that is one of the few services I feel a tip is appropriate but not required or even expected, a dollar or two if you wish. So there's plenty of good free eating opportunities available. And if you want to go crazy one or two nights, the specialty restaurants appeared to be pretty good value for the additional food opportunity. My problem was I never got a chance to even try all the free stuff. Stomach just not big enough I guess. Guess I'll just have to go back. Yea..

Lobster is available every night in:

Mambo's (Lobster Tacos), La Cucina (Lobster Ravioli) and at Cagney's (Lobster Tails on the Surf & Turf). There may be lobster on the menu in La Bistro but I don't remember.

The above are all surcharge restaurants.

Both main dinning rooms have lobster one evening during the cruise for free.

The advertising says that lobster is available every night and it is, It does not say "Free lobster available". I wouldn't call that misleading.

Both main dinning rooms have lobster one evening during the cruise for free.

quote]

Actually, on the May 31 cruise, the only lobster available in the "free" dining rooms was a seafood combination one night, which did have a very small section of lobster along with other types of seafood, served on a bed of pasta. It was very good. However I wouldn't consider it to have satisfied a "lobster night" statement. Not complaining. Just saying lobster, as we would normally consider lobster served, was not available in the free dining rooms.

The advertising says that lobster is available every night and it is, It does not say "Free lobster available". I wouldn't call that misleading.

I didn't mean to put down NCL, I just took it to mean that they had lobster in the main dining room every night. I guess that's just my own wishful thinking. My bad.

Hi Lessa. They must be talking about Cagney's reference the lobster. The two larger and more formal (very attractive) free sit down service restaurants are Summer Palace and Indigos, Summer Palace being the larger. They both serve the same menu, just different places to sit and eat. The food and service is great in both. They are open for all 3 meal times, however request no shorts or jeans for the evening meal. Blue Lagoon is a casual sit down restaurant just above the main lobby area. It is free and more burger, fish and chips, snack type place. I believe it's open 24 hrs, although I was never up that late. While in dock, there was an outdoor grill open each time, free, with grilled chicken, burgers, brat, etc. It is out by the deck around the pool area. Then there is the free huge buffet area, Garden Cafe, with food stations which will individually prepare for you whatever they are serving. Their selection is extreme I felt and something for everyone, including deserts and ice cream stations...ummm. Garden Cafe has plenty of indoor sitting, restaurant type tables and booths. On the back behind Garden Cafe and on the open deck is another free grill type food station. It is open throughout the day and into the evening serving something appropriate for all 3 meals. We did all breakfast out there because of the beautiful weather. You can get you eggs cooked as you wish with all type omelets cooked to your order. My wife ate a lot of the fruit, melons, etc and said it was always very good. All the bread and pastries we had were always very good. Coffee and juice is available in all previously mentioned locations. There is a free Latte, etc machine located between Garden Cafe and the back deck. I'm probably leaving out some stuff. I didn't use room service, but saw many on my deck doing so. It's free, although that is one of the few services I feel a tip is appropriate but not required or even expected, a dollar or two if you wish. So there's plenty of good free eating opportunities available. And if you want to go crazy one or two nights, the specialty restaurants appeared to be pretty good value for the additional food opportunity. My problem was I never got a chance to even try all the free stuff. Stomach just not big enough I guess. Guess I'll just have to go back. Yea..

thanks for all the detailed info. I'm copying it into my travel notes so I won't forget. Tho I assume NCL will make it all clear to me once I arrive.

thanks for all the detailed info. I'm copying it into my travel notes so I won't forget. Tho I assume NCL will make it all clear to me once I arrive.

Yea. You'll figure it all out quickly. Also, the daily information letter that is delivered to your room has a listing of all the eating spots, which are free and which have the extra charge. You'll also have a handy pocket guide of the ship available and lots of signs posted in the corridors and at the elevators. The specialty restaurant menus are located at various places around the ship. You can check at the entrance of the two free sit down restaurants each day to take a look at the menu for them.

We were also on this Pearl cruise. It was wonderful!! To clarify, they did serve lobster 2 nights in the main dining rooms (no service charges), Monday night, and I think Thursday night. Both times, it was overcooked. All other meals were cooked to perfection except for the lobster, and one Mahi-Mahi dish I had was also overcooked, but still tasted ok.

Being our first time on NCL, wasn't sure what to expect. Our first mistake was waiting to hear them announce when and where to get off the ship in Juneau. We headed down to debark after we heard the announcement and was stuck in the "cattle call" of people on the stairwell. Took quite a while to get off. After that, we found where to debark before the ships announcement, and was off the ship in a breeze!

We saw lots of whales, porpoises, seals and sea lions while sitting on the balcony. We were also lucky enough to see a black bear with a cinnamon colored coat and a Carabou just outside of Skagway on our trip up to Emerald lake. We also saw a lot of bald eagles, and one golden eagle. Before we left Juneau we were watching the crew remove the ropes that kept the ship tied to the dock and spotted hundreds of fish swarming next to the ship. Yelled down to the guys below and they said they were baby salmon. I guess they were lost, or the ship was in their path!

Our cabin steward, Jennifer, was wonderful. She made the cutest towel animals for us!

Everything on the ship was clean. My hands have never been so sanitized!!

We were also on this Pearl cruise. It was wonderful!! To clarify, they did serve lobster 2 nights in the main dining rooms (no service charges), Monday night, and I think Thursday night.

Thanks for the correction. Wow. I thought I was paying attention to the menu each day. Must have slept through that.

Before we left Juneau we were watching the crew remove the ropes that kept the ship tied to the dock and spotted hundreds of fish swarming next to the ship. Yelled down to the guys below and they said they were baby salmon. I guess they were lost, or the ship was in their path!

When we cruised the Galapagos every morning we would see hundreds of boobies (sea bird that eats fish) diving under the boat. Our naturalist said it was because the ship warms the water and the fish like that so congregate under the ship. He also said that boobies are smart and also know this so they come to get some easy fishing.

macnife,

Jennifer was our cabin steward too! We were on the May 24 cruise. I'm happy you all lucked out with fabulous weather. I'm glad we got to experience "Alaska weather" but do wish it had been just a bit warmer...sigh...oh well, we still had a fabulous time. We got to see THE BEST glacier calving on a spectacularly beautiful day in Glacier Bay so the wind and rain on some of the other days was worth it. I agree with all the posts that NCL has their act together. For a ship that large, we were amazed and delighted that all aspects of ship life seemed effortless and well organized and that everyone really wanted to go out of their way to make our week perfect. We thought the staff was exceptional, except for one night in the Summer Palace where we picked up on stress "vibes"..hmmm..don't know what happened that night but think it was just a fleeting thing and not at all representative of the the overall professionalism and friendliness we found everywhere on board the Pearl. We even surprised ourselves when it came to dinners. After trying Indigos, the Summer Palace and Le Bistro, we decided we enjoyed the buffet best of all! We found that so many items on the main dining room menus were offered in the buffet and we could try different foods to our hearts' content! And the crepe maker....in the buffet line no less....what a treat! I will comment that the "chocolate buffet", while delicious, was not worth the waiting in line for over half an hour. My tip? If you aren't there early to get the chocolate covered strawberries which were long gone by the time we arrived, just relax and wait until the line subsides. It was a little crazy...a bit of a "mob mentality" all for....a piece of chocolate cake???

I will also comment on the sell...sell...sell atmosphere. I'm still trying to figure that out and marvel at this seemingly successful tactic. Seriously, if you are in the market for a diamond or an expensive piece of art, is a cruise ship or port jewelry store the very best place to shop?? I realize that the cruise lines are offering their passengers a way to while away the time at sea but I think it has gotten a little out of control. While we tried to avoid the constant "photo opps" with the giant whales and moose and eagles, etc. (I know you all are laughing and nodding your head at this truth), I did speak to a woman who had bought the all-inclusive photo package and she was intent on getting her photo taken at every opportunity to make sure she got her money's worth. I guess it is all perspective....

Now..where shall we cruise next....???

Hi Roger,

macnife is correct - the first lobster in the DR is a 1/2 lobster tail and grouper (you can have as much as you want) and the 2nd time is "surf and more surf" with lobster, along with shrimp, scallops, mussels and fish served over pasta with a sauce.

"Nice" jeans are allowed in one of the DR's and all specialties in the evening. In this case, I think it's Indigo.

Lessa11,

Run, don't walk, to the Norwegian Dawn where some trial menus are in place. They are offering lobster every night in the 2 main DR's - actually tenderloin and lobster tail. Somebody posted a picture and several have commented it was really good.:D

Nobody knows if the Dawn's menus will be rolled out fleetwide yet.

Hi Roger,

macnife is correct - the first lobster in the DR is a 1/2 lobster tail and grouper (you can have as much as you want) and the 2nd time is "surf and more surf" with lobster, along with shrimp, scallops, mussels and fish served over pasta with a sauce.

Thanks Barb. I feel better. Thought had I missed the "big one". I did catch the "Surf and more Surf" but missed the "lobster and grouper". The Surf was very good. But when I was talking lobster, I guess I was just thinking of the traditional serving of a big lobster tail, drawn butter, etc. My stomach is quite happy regardless, although a bit larger than it was before the cruise.

Don't wish to beat a dead horse (probably did with the lobster thing), but I forgot to mention how good the Pearl's water supply is. It was crystal clear, totally taste and odor free. Another plus for NCL (and probably other cruise ships also). They've definitely got water purification figured out.

Archived