Tipping Guidelines

carla1183

I know there are 100 posts about this and I just spent a long time reading through a lot of them, but I wanted to get a good overall picture of tipping.

So we're paying $10/ea per day on 7 day cruise so for the two of us it breaks out to:

$49 room steward tip

$77 dining tip

$14 spread to other ship workers

15% gratuity is added to drink pruchases already

Plus of course a couple of dollars for room service each time

That's the base, and then are we also expected to also tip extra to our room steward, dining staff, maitre d, at the end of the trip?

I also see most people saying they tip each bartender per drink on top of the already included gratuity?

I know people are sensitive about this, and I can see why. But having never been on a cruise, it seems like we're adding in the automatic gratuities and then tipping what we'd tip even if they weren't there? I don't want to be a total cheapo, but if the bartender is getting 15% of my drink cost anyway, I don't want to also pay an extra $1-$2 per drink? But I also know the staff works crazy hard and don't want them to feel cheated.

$10 pp/per day and the 15% added on to the drinks, plus a little something for room service.

You're not required to tip anybody anything else/extra. In fact, you're not required to tip at all.

If you feel someone deserves extra, that's up to you.

Don't feel the need to tip any more than you've already listed. That is entirely YOUR choice.

Some people tip the bartender more because they think that will get them extra alcohol in their drink, or quicker service if they are waiting for a drink.

The only time I've tipped anything extra is if I've requested someone do something over and above their duties, or something EXTRA special.

Think of it as, what prompts you to tip 20% or more when you dine out, as opposed to the normal 15%.

The auto tips are what the cruise line suggests that people give. I am sure that they have done this because far too many people 'forgot' to tip at the end of the cruise. The crew all work very hard to make sure you have an enjoyable trip.

That being said, if you choose not to tip any additional money, then that is your choice. I usually tip extra. This may be because I spent some time as a waitress, and know how thankless service jobs can be. If it it a tipped position, you can be assured that the people are making a lower monthly wage than those who are not being tipped.

Think about it this way: If you go into a restaurant with a large party, they will usually add an 18% gratuity onto the check. You then have the option of tipping extra if the service was great... Sometimes I do tip extra, and sometimes I don't. So, look at the auto tips as the 18%, and then if you enjoyed the service, tip extra! :D

I know there are 100 posts about this and I just spent a long time reading through a lot of them, but I wanted to get a good overall picture of tipping.

So we're paying $10/ea per day on 7 day cruise so for the two of us it breaks out to:

$49 room steward tip

$77 dining tip

That's the base, and then are we also expected to also tip extra to our room steward, dining staff, maitre d, at the end of the trip?

I also see most people saying they tip each bartender per drink on top of the already included gratuity?

I know people are sensitive about this, and I can see why. But having never been on a cruise, it seems like we're adding in the automatic gratuities and then tipping what we'd tip even if they weren't there? I don't want to be a total cheapo, but if the bartender is getting 15% of my drink cost anyway, I don't want to also pay an extra $1-$2 per drink? But I also know the staff works crazy hard and don't want them to feel cheated.

Auto tips are all that is expected (the $10/day).......and nothing more....

I too do not understand double tipping for a drink;) Never have and we always received excellent service..........

Here's my take on the subject. Tipping is an OPTION, not a requirement. Some people, like my DH and myself, actually WANT to tip extra as our thanks for a job well done. We do not feel obligated to tip. This is what we want to do. We also give tips to the school band who plays on the dock at Montego Bay. They are performing for us, and we feel that they deserve our spare change for their hard work. Hopefully, the money they receive from cruise ship passengers goes toward buying their uniforms and instruments. It makes us feel good to help them in this small way. We also tip the tour guides, tour bus drivers, and porters. We know they need every dollar they can get, and it gives us pleasure to tip them. We are not financially able to hand out hundred dollar bills (although we would if we could), but we feel that every little bit helps. We have been thanked very graciously by the recipients of our tips. (A heart felt "Thank you" goes a long way with us.) Even though it's not a lot of money to us, it IS a lot of money to them. However, if service does not merit a tip, that person will not receive one. Tipping is for a job well done.

The auto tips you listed are divided between two cabin stewards and two waiters. These people are definitely not going to get rich off this money. I think of the auto tips as part of their salary, and the cash that we give them is the actual tip. But that's just me, and you have every right to see it differently. Just remember that you are never obligated to tip. Do what YOU feel is the right thing to do and/or what you can afford to do. But at the very least, I hope you will tell them "Thank you" and let them know that you appreciate their hard work, even if you can't afford or don't choose to tip them.

Edited to add: I think it's absurd to tip a bartender or drink server extra for each drink they serve you. Tipping him/her $1 for a drink is like giving them $1 for 5 minutes of their time. Wow!

$49 room steward tip

$77 dining tip

I think you did a great job summarizing this and hope you have a great time on your first cruise.

I agree with the others that have posted that the automatic tips are completely normal and you should not feel obligated to do more unless you really feel like it.

If i find a great bartender, i will come to that person for my drinks the entire cruise and i will tip them extra at the end of the cruise.

I also tip the Deli staff on the last day, i spend more time there, than the buffet or dining room.

BUT this is not required and not nessesary, my reasoning is that i am in the same business that they are and i know how hard they really work so it's just a sympathy thing or something.

Oh, don't forget those baggage handlers at the pier

I think they are the only ones actually expecting a tip:rolleyes:

$49 room steward tip

$77 dining tip

Let me start by saying that if you leave the auto gratuities on there is NEVER a requirement or expectation that you provide any additional gratuities. The same with the drinks and other items that might have the 15% added. You are not expected to provide any other gratuity.

Some people feel that by providing extra up front they receive better service. I have never found this to be the case with housekeeping, but I will say that if I find a waiter around the pool, that some extra makes sure that when I want a drink he is there to get it for me. This is not saying he neglects people who don't give extra, just that maybe he takes a bit better care of those who do leave extra.

As far as the wait staff in the dining room, and housekeeping, if at the end of the voyage, you feel they earned more than the auto gratuities, by all means give them additional gratuities, but do not feel obligated to do so. You are going to get great service no matter what you do!

I am always so paranoid that I won't get my bags that I ALWAYS over tip these guys... I would hate to sail away and find out my clothes didn't take the trip with me!! YIKES!

Great point. I ALWAYS tip these guys heavy on the front side to make sure all of our bags make it. It kind of bugs me that they may get as much for 10 to 15 minutes work as the guy who cleans our room for a week. (We tip $20 for 10 bags on the way in and $10 on the way out).

I am always so paranoid that I won't get my bags that I ALWAYS over tip these guys... I would hate to sail away and find out my clothes didn't take the trip with me!! YIKES!

Just think about this...There are 3000 people checking their luggage for a 7 day cruise, most couples will bring a suitcase a piece and half of the time a suit bag, if everyone tips $1 per piece of luggage, thats $4500.

If there are 12 handlers thats $375pp......not bad for a few hours work.

And lets not forget that they also get tipped to carry passengers bags off the ship also.

Tipping is a catching disease. Word has got around, and now the poor Jamaican on the street also expects "tips" when the ship comes in! Wont be long before there will be auto-tips for them as well.

Why is it that there are no auto-tips for the cabin stewards in the airline industry? Oops not so loud, they may hear us!:)

tipping is a catching disease. Word has got around, and now the poor jamaican on the street also expects "tips" when the ship comes in! Wont be long before there will be auto-tips for them as well.

Why is it that there are no auto-tips for the cabin stewards in the airline industry? Oops not so loud, they may hear us!:)

what??!!!

what??!!!

I believe it was a sarcastic post because of some of the posts on here........it seems there are some that post they tip any and every worker above and beyond on the ship and then some.......heck I bet I could pose as a worker shining the staircase and one of these posters will tip me:D

Ok now back to reality........lol!

I believe it was a sarcastic post because of some of the posts on here........it seems there are some that post they tip any and every worker above and beyond on the ship and then some.......heck I bet I could pose as a worker shining the staircase and one of these posters will tip me:D

Ok now back to reality........lol!

Kurbanfan, what a brilliant idea! I could buy all my drinks that way! :D

No, I was not being entirely sarcastic, because I read in many posts here, that the Jamaicans are harrasing the tourists for "tips". I think other people are beginning to believe that cruisers have money to throw!

Now, where's my polish and duster!

Archived