Boxed lunches on Island Princess?

lawahoo2001

It's not a matter of want or often that the cruise line even has a choice. In many cases bringing any type of fresh food ashore is a violation of law intended to protect native species and the environment from pests.

So, in short the answer is no.

OK, then does anyone have any suggestions on what sustenance we can get in Juneau? Plan is to do whale watching in the morning and then get dropped off by the whale watch company at Mendenhall Glacier afterwards. We would be at Mendenahll right at lunch time, and I'm sure we'll be starving. Folks on this board have posted that there is no food at Mendenhall. I don't want to waste time in going back to the ship or even to town for lunch, as we have a tight schedule. Any thoughts? Maybe there is a place near the whale watch docks at Auke Bay where we can grab sandwiches and bring with us?

Hopefully someone will post back about food at Auke Bay.

We are doing Mendenhall first, then Whale Watching. I think we may have to starve. No prepared food is allowed off the ship, and I don't think food of any kind is allowed at Mendenhall. I hate to skip Mendenhall entirely, I was really looking forward to seeing it and doing some hiking, but my kids are 4 and 15 and cannot skip a meal. :( I've been meaning to call Mendenhall directly to ask if there are lockers to store prepackaged snacks while we hike, I have no idea. I think it is silly that they don't serve food at the visitor center and just tell people food can't leave the building.

Sorry to rant but I'm really stressed out about having to either skip lunch or skip Mendenhall.

There is food available right near the cruiseship dock area, pick something up there. Hot Bites at Auke Bay, "may" be an option, IF you call ahead from your whale watch and confirm there won't be a wait for the prep and pick up??? Verify this directly with your vendor, if an option.

Hot Bite

Auke Bay Boat Harbor

Auke Bay, AK 99821

Ok, had to make a half dozen calls to Mendenhall to get through to a human but yes, the director confirmed that they do have a complete prohibition on food.

We are whale watching with Orca and I'm going to give them a call and see what is available food wise at Auke Bay and see if maybe we can get picked up a bit early so we can at least grab a burger or something before whale watching.

Once I figure out my whale watching company (likely Alaska Whale Watch), I'm going to do the same and see if we can get some food at Auke Bay and just eat in the shuttle bus on the way to Mendenhall. Maybe this will be the determining factor as to which whale watch we pick - who can help us get food!

Another question about taking food off the cruise ship - how will they know if I just sneak a bagel or two (or some other non-produce or meat related item - like a cookie) in my backpack and bring with me on the whale watch? Will they search my bag as I leave the ship???

Ok, had to make a half dozen calls to Mendenhall to get through to a human but yes, the director confirmed that they do have a complete prohibition on food.

We are whale watching with Orca and I'm going to give them a call and see what is available food wise at Auke Bay and see if maybe we can get picked up a bit early so we can at least grab a burger or something before whale watching.

The ONLY food option at Auke Bay, I listed above.

We usually pack some energy bars such as Zone bars...we did this in Juneau last summer, and my ever-hungry teens were able to last through the whale watch and glacier landing with no problems. There were some snacks available for purchase at the orca enterprises office where we checked in for the whale watch, but in our experience zone bars do a better job of keeping hunger at bay than other snack items.

It is against federal regulations to bring all non-packaged food items off a cruise ship, but you can purchase snack items on board most ships, and small packaged boxes of cereal from the buffet (if available) are also fine to bring ashore.

We've done whale watching in Juneau twice and food has never been an issue. Last time we went, we did whale watching with Allen Marine (booked through Carnival) and they served a huge buffet spread which included roast beef, smoked salmon, shrimp cocktail, meat and cheese platters, fresh fruit including pineapple and strawberries, crudites with different dips, various breads and rolls with butter, cake, bread pudding and cobbler. Drinks were available for purchase and this included Cokes, iced tea, bottled water, beer and wine.

I don't know why so many here have such a problem with booking through the cruise line. We've done the whale watching excursion twice, both times booked through the cruise line and it's always been first class. I just don't get it.

The reason there is no food sold at Mendenhall is that people used to feed the bears! It didn't take long for bears to learn that people are a food source. That is very dangerous!

Bears can smell food in your pockets, backpack or purse. They really enjoy smoked meats, cheeses and sweets. People who are not used to being in Alaska are better off not having food on them.

Also when you eat in town, don't wipe your hands on your clothes and don't let your children do so!

You might want to plan to get up early and eat a good breakfast that morning to help tide you over. Packaged snacks are also a good idea. On Orca Enterprise excursions they do serve a light snack of salmon, cheese and crackers, so it's not like you won't get anything to eat. Perhaps that combined with a big breakfast and a few packaged snacks would be enough to keep you going until after you leave Mendenhall and then you can go have a big late lunch.

I don't know why so many here have such a problem with booking through the cruise line. We've done the whale watching excursion twice, both times booked through the cruise line and it's always been first class. I just don't get it.

It isn't a "problem", but it is my preference to go with a cpt. I have been using over many years- who is considered an expert, loaded with experience on humpbacks, just not as available with others. The smaller boats are also my preference.

if your vendor is willing to make a quick stop on your way to auke, you could stop at the breeze inn (i know, but i didn't name it) that is right across from nugget mall and next to the hamburger place run by the clown whose name must not be spoken. they have a wide variety of prepared sandwiches/salads that they make onsite each morning. our goto place for a sack lunch when working in juneau.

or, further north is a huge carrs/safeway that has the normal huge grocery store type deli/prepared food.

both are in the valley right on your way from downtown to auke.

i can't think of a better or convient location near the cruise docks and i just don't see how hot bite fits into your schedule.

Ask your whale watching company if they can provide sandwiches or other snacks. When we went with Harv & Marv on our first trip to Alaska they had an option of fresh homemade cookies. I believe they may have had drinks and snacks (if my memory is correct). Whatever we did was enough to tide us over. We did the whale watching and Mendenhall.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was the only one concerned about missing a meal, lol!! We are going with Orca Enterprises on the 11:30 tour and then having them drop us off at Mendenhall Glacier. I was planning on eating a late breakfast and then taking some snack bars with us.

The woman I talked to at Orca didn't mention snacks, but I will call and confirm that. Thanks for the info.

AK Whale Watch said there is a convenience store right near the dock at Auke Bay. They have a deli inside, which has sandwiches, hot food, and other snacks. A good "to-go" option for those of us with little time for a sit-down meal at Auke Bay.

The Waffle Company has soup and waffles, but I can't see it as something easy to eat on the way to the glacier.

I'd check with these whale-watching vendors about your time here. I assume they're dropping you off at Mendenhall as a convenience on their way back downtown to pick up more passengers. Waiting around while six people choose food at DeHarts--the convenience store up the hill from the harbor--may be outside their schedule.

I'd heard of people being able to order from The Hot Bite in the past, but it's only a fifteen minute ride to the glacier, so I don't know if they still do that since the food will have to be gone before exiting the van.

It's something to keep in mind for future bookings of the whale watching. If you schedule time to pick up a sandwich from the Paradise Cafe or the Subway/McDonalds downtown before being picked up and eat it while whale watching, I think that's an easier route then cramming something down later.

The Waffle Company has soup and waffles, but I can't see it as something easy to eat on the way to the glacier.

I'd check with these whale-watching vendors about your time here. I assume they're dropping you off at Mendenhall as a convenience on their way back downtown to pick up more passengers. Waiting around while six people choose food at DeHarts--the convenience store up the hill from the harbor--may be outside their schedule.

I'd heard of people being able to order from The Hot Bite in the past, but it's only a fifteen minute ride to the glacier, so I don't know if they still do that since the food will have to be gone before exiting the van.

It's something to keep in mind for future bookings of the whale watching. If you schedule time to pick up a sandwich from the Paradise Cafe or the Subway/McDonalds downtown before being picked up and eat it while whale watching, I think that's an easier route then cramming something down later.

I actually already cleared the convenience store thing with the whale watch folks, but I like your idea of getting something in downtown Juneau before the tour. What's the closest fast food type place to the docks and where exactly is it in relation to the Franklin dock (where Island Princess will be)? Would things be open before 8am?

Ugh, that's early for downtown.

If the 'Franklin' dock is the one I think, it's pretty thick with tee shirt/jewelry shops at that end of Franklin, and not so much anything practical. And what would be open will be selling breakfast. Anything is about a ten minute walk one way. I'd add the Silverbow Cafe to my list. They have an 800 number, so perhaps call and see if they'll make a sandwich early and what time they open.

Archived