formal wear on Celebrity Constellation

We are sailing to the Panama Canal in Jan., 2010. My husband hates to dress up and with a 14-day cruise we are trying to limit our luggage for flying. Can he get by with a dress shirt and tie for the formal dinners or will he need to wear a jacket too?

Celebrity is more formal than the other mass market lines. He will need a jacket on formal nights. To keep the packing light, he can war the jacket on the plane that you fly to the port.

Why did you pick a "formal" cruiseline with multiple formal nights if you don't enjoy that sort of thing??

I don't mean to be sarcastic or anything, but I really don't understand why folks will book something that doesn't suit them?

If he absolutely does not want to wear a jacket and tie then you could always plan to eat in Casual Dining or the pasta/salad bar buffet on formal nights!

As others have said, passengers on Celebrity tend to be more likely to follow the dress code.

DH and I sailed on the Connie 4 years ago. Previous posters are correct - most of the men wore tuxes or suit and tie on the formal nights. If your DH doesn't want to pack a suit, you can always rent a tux through the cruise line. My DH ended up doing that at the last minute because he forgot his suit pants at home!:eek: Our cabin butler was so helpful in getting a tux for him. I don't remember how much it cost, but I don't think it was that much.

• 2 months later...

well, here's a good reason. We usually have 6 to 8 weeks of travel inbetween the repositioning cruise and the QM2 (only way to get back to the states if you don't fly). I just don't want to drag all those clothes all over Europe. Two years ago there were 11 formal nights on our three cruises (an extra one from Rome to Egypt) during our 78 day trip. Each ship had very nice special accomodations for those who have just no desire anymore to go formal. It's a good thing.

Just wear a black jacket and black turtleneck and nobody will say a word. They would probably let a penguin in because he wore black! I'm not kidding. One cruiser showed up in jeans on my Celebrity Century cruise. No one kicked him out. I think he liked all the stares!

lol I think renting is another easy solution. Why should you miss the nice dinners on formal night?

Bon Voyage

Archived