1 New York City (Manhattan or Brooklyn), New York 5:00 PM

2 Newport, Rhode Island 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

3 Boston, Massachusetts 10:00 AM 7:00 PM

4 Bar Harbor, Maine 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

5 Saint John, New Brunswick 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

6 Halifax, Nova Scotia 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

7 At Sea

8 New York City (Manhattan or Brooklyn), New York 7:15 AM

Can someone tell me the port locations for each destination, for example, which pier or dock, etc.? Are any of these tender locations?

Also, regarding boarding in New York, what time can you really board or get checked in? I think I'd just like to get on the ship early and start the vacation. I am sure many others will be doing the same. What's a good time to arrive to check in?

Thank you

Just for clarification, the "CP" is the Sea Princess and is in Alaska. The "CB" (Caribbean Princess) is doing the NE and Canada Fall cruises.

While I can't tell you which piers you will arrive at those ports, your cruise personalizer at princess.com will tell you which ports, if any, you will be tendering.

Just for clarification, the "CP" is the Sea Princess and is in Alaska. The "CB" (Caribbean Princess) is doing the NE and Canada Fall cruises.

While I can't tell you which piers you will arrive at those ports, your cruise personalizer at princess.com will tell you which ports, if any, you will be tendering.

Thanks, I made the changes to CB.

I'll be on CP for a New England/Canada cruise visiting:

Port Arrival Departure

7 At Sea

Can someone tell me the port locations for each destination, for example, which pier or dock, etc.? Are any of these tender locations?

Thank you

Newport, RI and Bar Harbor are both tender ports. New York City is usually the Red Hook terminal in Brooklyn for Princess.

Newport, RI and Bar Harbor are both tender ports. New York City is usually the Red Hook terminal in Brooklyn for Princess.

Thanks. Where do the tenders drop you off at? Is there a pier/dock, or street location? Thanks again.

Thanks. Where do the tenders drop you off at? Is there a pier/dock, or street location? Thanks again.

Being from Maine here are some thoughts...

In Bar Harbor (or Bah Habah, as the downeasters say it...lol) you will tender right into the heart of the action.

Two years ago before my first cruise my wife and I were vacationing in Bar Harbor as we often do because it is a wonderful retreat with many things/activities to do; we were walking downtown and there it was --- the HAL Maasdam in port with tenders coming on shore. It was then I wanted to cruise and - the ship was beautiful and glistening in the water off shore. It happened to be a gorgeous day and Maasdam passengers were everywhere. All the local shops had signs out 'welcome Maasdam passengers' and the like. Many, many shops were offering discounts for purchases just by showing your cruise card. I wanted a discount, but alas....

I can only assume the CB will tender much right in the same area and it is very convienent, looked as if the tender ride is no more than 3min max! The ship was very close that day.....

Do yourself a favor and have an exceptional seafood lunch and at one of the local eateries. a fresh Maine lobster caught that very morning with Steamers is not to be missed! Worth every penny and i can have that meal everyday...sometimes I do!!:D

You will love Acadia Nat'l Park. Cadillac Mountain has tremendous views(there is a gift/snack shop at the top).

Thunder hole is also very exciting- the thing here is the worse the weather the better it acts up(so its a tradeoff, but impresive sight).

Those into hiking I suggest the climb to Bubble Rock, it is a clearly marked path with steps during some of the steep points. give yourself AT LEAST 2-2.5 hours depending on your physical abilities. at the top of the climb the view is spectacular!

They also do horse drawn carriage rides in the park although I have never done it.

I am sure you will have a wonderful day in Bar Harbor, its a wonderful retreat for those of us in-state as well and the people there are very friendly.

Hope this helps - and gets you excited about this port - it truly is a genuinely calming place.

chad

Do yourself a favor and have an exceptional seafood lunch and at one of the local eateries. a fresh Maine lobster caught that very morning with Steamers is not to be missed! Worth every penny and i can have that meal everyday...sometimes I do!!:D

You will love Acadia Nat'l Park. Cadillac Mountain has tremendous views(there is a gift/snack shop at the top).

chad

Chad, great information, thanks for sharing. Two questions regarding some of what you wrote. Do you have any recommendations for where to go for fresh lobsters and steamers?

Also, for touring Acadia National park, any recommendations on a tour guide to the Park?

Thanks again.

swdke, Everything cruizin-from-maine has told you is absolutely correct. I live and work in Bar Harbor and consider myself a very lucky lady. The CB will come deep into Frechman's Bay, but you will still be tendered into the heart of Bar Harbor. As you are approaching the Bay you will see Egg Rock Light (one of many Maine lighthouses) and will see a series of close set islands known as the porcupine islands - yep, they look like porcupines swimming away from Mount Desert Island (home of Bar Harbor). I'm not sure if Princess' info talks about Bar Island, but this is an island a short distance away from Mount Desert Island to which you can walk back and forth while the tide is out. Be sure to watch your time as high tide can sneak up on you and you wouldn't want to be stuck on Bar Island. Any of the excursions Princess offers into Acadia National Park will certainly take your breath away and the horse drawn carriage rides are not to be missed. As for Maine lobster, is there any other lobster? Yes, I'm very partial, but lobster coming from the deep, ice cold waters off the coast of Maine, can't be beat. There are many eateries with outdoor seating (that's where us Mainer's prefer to eat our lobsters - anywhere outside) and right at the pier where you will tender in is Fish House Grill - right on the water. You may see whale watch vessels, traditional lobstering boats, Lulu's Lobster Rides, The Margaret Todd, all coming and going. The views from Fish House Grill are wondrous. Great food, great fun! I hope you enjoy lobster, steamers, mussels, and clam chowdah, as this Grill has them all and in large portions. Plus, their Wild Maine Blueberry martini is the best around. When exactly are you visiting our fabulous village? Maybe you gave us the dates and I missed it.

When exactly are you visiting our fabulous village? Maybe you gave us the dates and I missed it.

We will be in town October 13. Thanks for the great information, I appreciate the detail and help.

swdke, Everything cruizin-from-maine has told you is absolutely correct. I live and work in Bar Harbor and consider myself a very lucky lady. The CB will come deep into Frechman's Bay, but you will still be tendered into the heart of Bar Harbor. As you are approaching the Bay you will see Egg Rock Light (one of many Maine lighthouses) and will see a series of close set islands known as the porcupine islands - yep, they look like porcupines swimming away from Mount Desert Island (home of Bar Harbor). I'm not sure if Princess' info talks about Bar Island, but this is an island a short distance away from Mount Desert Island to which you can walk back and forth while the tide is out. Be sure to watch your time as high tide can sneak up on you and you wouldn't want to be stuck on Bar Island. Any of the excursions Princess offers into Acadia National Park will certainly take your breath away and the horse drawn carriage rides are not to be missed. As for Maine lobster, is there any other lobster? Yes, I'm very partial, but lobster coming from the deep, ice cold waters off the coast of Maine, can't be beat. There are many eateries with outdoor seating (that's where us Mainer's prefer to eat our lobsters - anywhere outside) and right at the pier where you will tender in is Fish House Grill - right on the water. You may see whale watch vessels, traditional lobstering boats, Lulu's Lobster Rides, The Margaret Todd, all coming and going. The views from Fish House Grill are wondrous. Great food, great fun! I hope you enjoy lobster, steamers, mussels, and clam chowdah, as this Grill has them all and in large portions. Plus, their Wild Maine Blueberry martini is the best around. When exactly are you visiting our fabulous village? Maybe you gave us the dates and I missed it.

I appreciate you chiming in on this, as some of the names of specific places do escape me as we visit as often as possible it sure doesnt beat living there. Glad you were able assist on the specifics.

HERE IS A GOOD WEBSITE FOR ACADIA NAT'L PARK

http://www.acadia.national-park.com/

links to tours, etc if you aren't going to do a princess tour.....and YES, if the cooking pit and the tables are OUTSIDE - thats where you want to be eating....steamed lobster and clams...yum!!! the more old-fashioned and mom&pop like place probably the better the food....=)

Many places will have homemade blueberry pie for desert, if you aren't too full from the seafood.

In any event have a wonderful time and I am sure XStitcher will answer more specific questions should you come up with some...:)

XStitcher or Cruzin-from Maine:

I will be on the same route on the CB, except sailing from 29 AUG through 05 SEP. Can you give me an idea of weather for that time of year.

I read somewhere else on these boards a recommendation that you should take the type clothes you would take if going to Alaska.:eek: Now, this response was to question posed by someone doing this route in late September; I'm hoping that late AUG/early SEP will be more summer-like weather.

I'm already an over-packer, so I need guidelines!

Thanks,

Roseann

I'll be on CB for a New England/Canada cruise visiting:

Port Arrival Departure

7 At Sea

Thank you

1) Brooklyn Pier, nice views of Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan. Nice sailing under Verizano Bridge.

2) Newport as stated was on tenders. We messed up and waited to long plus it was really windy which caused delays. We got dumped in the middle of the town and walked the main street.

3) Boston pier is nothing to look at and you have to purchase a bus ticket to the middle of town or take a taxi. We walked the trail all over town. Nice place to visit, would not want to live there.

4) Bar Harbor is a nice small town, lots of knick knack stores, enjoyed walking the side streets and stores off the main path. You do tender into the main street of the port. Nice views from ship.

5) Saint John does not have much. It is your typical town, port right at the main waterfront. Take a tour or do something else while there. We enjoy walking the towns and were finished early there. The market they talk about is neat, but small.

6) Halifax was probably our favorite stop of the trip. It is bigger then I thought it would be, you dock right at the waterfront and you can walk the town to the old fort. We were there for the Canadian Thanksgiving in October so a lot was closed. We still found enough to do and see.

Weather changed drastically on trip. Started out with PAX in the pool in NY to almost no one on decks at night. It was cool in the AM, warmer in the afternoon and cold at night.

I have attached two pictures so hopefully they will be there when I post the final. If you get up early when returning to NY you may get a good sunrise over Brooklyn. I did have to dumb down the pictures from actual shots due to size limitations.

IMG_0020.jpg.c9a2976abd23d49b404c3f5cda6a4305.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg.bc88b747de015d520623f92dd72c32bd.jpg

XStitcher or Cruzin-from Maine:

I will be on the same route on the CB, except sailing from 29 AUG through 05 SEP. Can you give me an idea of weather for that time of year.

I read somewhere else on these boards a recommendation that you should take the type clothes you would take if going to Alaska.:eek: Now, this response was to question posed by someone doing this route in late September; I'm hoping that late AUG/early SEP will be more summer-like weather.

I'm already an over-packer, so I need guidelines!

Thanks,

Roseann

I think you will find the weather most years up here around Labor day to be absolutely beautiful. It is not uncommon at all to be in the 70's with a with a small cool breeze. It cools down at night and I think if I were on an open deck of the ship then a sweater or sweatshirt would be ideal. Don't go overboard on packing lots and lots of winter clothes; besides if you truly need something the ports you will be visiting will have plenty of clothing options for you to purchase if need be(a windbreaker and a long-sleeve shirt might be ideal). Bring pullover rain gear just in case-you aren't going to Bora Bora! Lots of folks in the area though will still be in shorts and t-shirts - we're used to it.

For those traveling in October High 50's Low 60's(an occasional day in 70's), COOL at night.

I KNOW YOU ALWAYS WANTED A SWEATSHIRT THAT SAID MAINE ON IT WITH A PICTURE OF A MOOSE ON THE FRONT - TRY WEARING THAT TO FORMAL NIGHT----YIKES!!!!:eek:

YOU WILL TENDER IN TO NEWPORT.. YOU CAN TO GO THE VISITORS CENTER AND BUY A TROLLEY RIDE AROUND THE MANSIONS OR PICK A MANSION OR TWO YOU WANT TO VISIT

MY HOME TOWN-YOU WILL cruise into the Black Falcon Pier which isn't that close to anything. Highly recommended is the Boston Duck Tour.. the ships sells it as an excursion, but you can go on line and book it..not to be missed.. It will most likely drop you off behind the Prudential and you can walk around Copley Square, go into Skipjacks or Legal for a great seafood lunch..and walk Newbury Street..chic and $$ shops

You already have great advice on Bar Harbor from Mainers..lol. We found a lobster shack to the right (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) over the bridge.. where you go in and at the end of t he line pick o ut the size of the lobster, hard shell or soft and then we added steamers, corn and iced coffee.. If the weather is great.. go across the way up the stairs to the deck and watch the world go by.. BTW this is where the crews have their lobster. There is NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING like the cold water lobsters from Maine.. especially if they as they will be.. be caught that day.. Lobsters are plentiful this year..so, order two...you won't be sorry.

Sorry, but I have found Saint John charming.. from the s hip; first the Lord Mayor will be there to give the women a rose and the men a pin.. Take the free shuttle to downtown.. then take a bus to see the Reversing Falls..from the Reversing Falls there was a boat that took you back to downtown.. You can walk to the bit city market. and then stop and have a bite downtown.but.. ask around.. if you can walk along the road to the ships.. on the left hand side set back.. is an old fashioned lobster shack.. You place your order and wait for your # to be called.. Saint John is charming.. old red brick buildings and very laid back.

One of our favorite ports.. you wil dock there and there is market of vendors at the pier.. Walk along the rambling board walk and enjoy the artists and the boats docked there. Halifax is a college town and swinging.. Our first year we hired a driver and he took us to the graves of the Titantic victims..okay, we weren't thrilled either..lol.. originally, but it's a beautiful spot.. then to the Citadel for the noon cannon going off.. another time we took the Duck Tour..not as good as Boston.. For those who want to go to Peggys Cove just know that if it's foggy you won't see a darn thing..

7 At Sea

Jen,

I believe the place that Parrot Mom is writing about with regard to lobster dinners is off the island, as she said "over the bridge" on the mainland (about a 15-20 minute drive from Bar Harbor). And she's right, it is a fantastic place to enjoy a traditional Maine Lobster dinner. There is a place just a bit down the road to the right from where your tender will deposit you, that changed ownership not too long ago, that MIGHT provide you with the same "select your own lobster" opportunity. It is called Stewman's (I haven't been there yet). There is upstairs, outside dining here too. If given the opportunity to choose your lobster, be sure to ask for hard shell if you want the most bang for your buck. If you prefer a sweeter, more tender crustacean, request a "shedder" or new shell lobster (of course, one or the other may be out of season at the time of your visit). Also, if any of you are going into Acadia National Park, you may consider having lunch outside at Jordan Pond House. The view of bubble pond is spectacular and their popovers with homemade jam are to die for.

We will be there on the 1st of Sept.. we are looking for good lobster and blueberry pie. Someplace not too fancy, just some good food. I haven't found a lot of good reviews on Trip Advisor, so I'm kind of stumped.

Jen,

I believe the place that Parrot Mom is writing about with regard to lobster dinners is off the island, as she said "over the bridge" on the mainland (about a 15-20 minute drive from Bar Harbor). And she's right, it is a fantastic place to enjoy a traditional Maine Lobster dinner. There is a place just a bit down the road to the right from where your tender will deposit you, that changed ownership not too long ago, that MIGHT provide you with the same "select your own lobster" opportunity. It is called Stewman's (I haven't been there yet). There is upstairs, outside dining here too. If given the opportunity to choose your lobster, be sure to ask for hard shell if you want the most bang for your buck. If you prefer a sweeter, more tender crustacean, request a "shedder" or new shell lobster (of course, one or the other may be out of season at the time of your visit). Also, if any of you are going into Acadia National Park, you may consider having lunch outside at Jordan Pond House. The view of bubble pond is spectacular and their popovers with homemade jam are to die for.

Yes,, it is or was Stewman's..as you walked in the door people were ordering fried seafood...and personally after my experience again with two hard shelled lobsters last Thursday in Kittery ..FORGET THE DAMN HARD shells unless they are going to crack them for you. lol.. We took one lobster home to use a hammer on it..I kid you not.. The reason we liked this place was they had steamers..which I know aren't everybodies taste..BTW we ordered TWO two pound lobsters, steamers, corn and iced coffee and the bill a few years ago was about $50.00.. for the two of us...and yes I have pictures of them... Most of the restaurants had lobsters, but nobody had steamers and we New Englanders love our steamers.. with the bellies..lol.. It was one of those wonderful warm fall days..on the roof of a building (I gather you can go inside if the weather is inclement) overlooking the harbor and watching tourists gorging themselves on lobster and wonderful fried food.. As an aside we were scheduled to go to Bermuda, but a storm sent us to "Bermuda North" and signs were in the storefronts welcoming us. There is another little jewel..up the main jill on the left.. a wonderful ice cream and candy shop...Yes, Bar Harbor is charming and I've love to go back again.. if only for that wonderful lobster. I still laugh when I think of getting the 2 two pounders and Parrot Pop said I was (for each by the way) out of my mind...the picture of the end of the meal says it all...\

MORE LOBSTER--seriously in Saint John.. ask the locals if the lobster shack near the cruise ships is still open...it maynot be scenic,but good lobsters.. There are three restaurants owned by three brothers.. one or two are in the tourist building.. and the other is along the water...

For Boston, if you want to go on a HOHO, do a search for Old Town Trolley Tours. They have added stop 16A close to the Black Falcon pier and you can walk to it and get on with your e-ticket. This eliminates having to buy the ship shuttle ticket to get to a HOHO downtown.

If you go to "contact us" on line and request a map, they will send you one.

I think you will find the weather most years up here around Labor day to be absolutely beautiful. It is not uncommon at all to be in the 70's with a with a small cool breeze. It cools down at night and I think if I were on an open deck of the ship then a sweater or sweatshirt would be ideal. Don't go overboard on packing lots and lots of winter clothes; besides if you truly need something the ports you will be visiting will have plenty of clothing options for you to purchase if need be(a windbreaker and a long-sleeve shirt might be ideal). Bring pullover rain gear just in case-you aren't going to Bora Bora! Lots of folks in the area though will still be in shorts and t-shirts - we're used to it.

For those traveling in October High 50's Low 60's(an occasional day in 70's), COOL at night.

I KNOW YOU ALWAYS WANTED A SWEATSHIRT THAT SAID MAINE ON IT WITH A PICTURE OF A MOOSE ON THE FRONT - TRY WEARING THAT TO FORMAL NIGHT----YIKES!!!!:eek:

Thanks, "Cruzin," for the weather info. I've been to Alaska three times and know that one pretty much need clothes for four seasons. I was not looking forward to packing that way. Glad to hear a windbreaker and rain gear will suffice. If not, I'll be lining up to get my moose (and squirrel?) sweatshirt!

For Boston, if you want to go on a HOHO, do a search for Old Town Trolley Tours. They have added stop 16A close to the Black Falcon pier and you can walk to it and get on with your e-ticket. This eliminates having to buy the ship shuttle ticket to get to a HOHO downtown.

One of the best seafood restaurants in Boston is next to the World Trade Center in Boston, not far from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. The "No Name" restaurant is "family style," i.e., you sit a big tables along with total strangers and the waitstaff slaps the food on the table but the food is delicious and the prices very reasonable. (http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/detail/no_name_restaurant) IMHO, Legal Seafood is totally over-rated and over-priced but if you think you have to go to one, the best one is in Kendall Square, Cambridge. Far less crowded and the food is better there.

Oh dear heaven.. please oh please do not think No Name is the best seafood restaurant in Boston..oh my heavens.. It is a tourist trap where those who don't know any better go to sit in a dirty restaurant.Yes, the last time we were there we saw a few State Police having a bowl of chowder.. .We were fans of No Name more than 40 years ago.. when it was just a counter and a few tables..they do make their own pies and the chowder used to be whatever was caught in for the day, but you had to come late in the day for it to be the best. As a born and bred and sea food eating Bostonian you can't believe what you have just read on the previous post..I BEG Y OU!!!! YES. Legal Seafoods does have extremely high standards as others do, but they have a great advertising gimmick.. One of our preferences is Skipjacks on Clarendon Street across from the Prudential Center. I do not believe there is a Legal in Cambridge anymore Pam.. it burnt down many years ago.. Let me let you in on a big secret... but not that big.. LEGAL SEAFOOD has a huge commissary on the Fish Pier...and most of their food is made there...did you know that???? There is McComick and Schmidt in Park Square, granted a chain and a bit pricey for Bostonians, but nevertheless excellent.. Now if you go to http://www.chowhound.com and ask about the best seafood restaurant in Boston.. you will get a zillion answers..including Atlantic Fish..(have never been there).. A typical tale from out of staters is that I took my niece from Atlanta many years ago to No Name.. and she ordered fish.. her immediate reaction was.and I swear.. "this doesn't smell it can't be good fish"..lol.. So, Pam, you might know where the best crab legs are or my favorite in S.F. cioppino, but please oh please don't send our cruise critic fiends to No Name... In all honesty all the other little shacks that have sprung up in the port are far better..jezz Okay.. there are two in Cambridge and of course at Logan Airport

I was born and raised north of Boston and moved into the city in the late 60's. I spent many hours walking those streets and enjoying all the city had to offer. I left the area in the early 70's but carried around so many fond memories. Although I have been back a few times I got to relive many of those memories last month when I took the tour on the Old Town Trolley. There were numerous stops and plenty to see and do within walking distance. I don't think you'll be disappointed spending the day on this tour...

Archived