Lighthouse bird sanctuary on any excursion?

flashdog_1

Ae you referring to the Kilaeua lighthouse on Kauai? For $30-40 you can rent a car and have an amazing drive to the lighthouse and sanctuary. We stopped by there. I think it was $5 to get in. I know it seems like on a map things are far away but the islands are very driveable.

FYI - just keep in mind in case you plan to drive there that it opens at 10 am, plan accordingly to get back to the ship if going on 2nd. day in Kauai.

Another scenic overlook stop nearby on the north shore is Hanalei National Wildlife Refuge.

DSC00507.jpg.e789232d98733930debff815937e2da0.jpg

DSC00498.jpg.e91d27378b1d24137536260ffe05c78f.jpg

DSC00504.jpg.28c4b1c4a865014dacb47fbebdcb78a6.jpg

DSC00515.jpg.c2ec10890d32116496de52d8806d8df5.jpg

DSC00516.jpg.c38183a82c5eaa678a0a82d2f6e582cb.jpg

FYI - just keep in mind in case you plan to drive there that it opens at 10 am, plan accordingly to get back to the ship if going on 2nd. day in Kauai.

Another scenic overlook stop nearby on the north shore is Hanalei National Wildlife Refuge.

Is the Wildlife Refuge within close walking distance of the light house? I want to see the view and the birds if possible.

Is the Wildlife Refuge within close walking distance of the light house? I want to see the view and the birds if possible.
The birds are very close to the lighthouse...Albatross, boobies, shearwaters...and it is a wonderful place to watch whales in season. Just make sure your tour gives you enough time at this stop.

Is the Wildlife Refuge within close walking distance of the light house?

There are different species of birds nesting on the trees by the lighthouse along the cliffs - a compact pair of binoculars will be helpful for a good closeup. We did get some good ones with our 1000x digital dvd zooming in (useful for spotting whales in season & the playful spinner dolphins.

As for the widlife refuge, it's a 15 minutes drive further to the northwest back out on the main hwy and definitely not walking distance. Check with the local tour or if you plan to drive & are out early, you can stop there first & work you way back toward the ship, stopping by the lighthouse closer to 10 am.

BTW, in case you didn't see our POA review, a major head-on MVA on that single highway (1 lane each way) resulted in major traffic tie-ups, thus adding easily 30 minutes extra travel time due to diversion to a secondary dirt & gravel side road for everyone for several hours - do allow time for getting back to the tier for the sailaway.

Aloha!

DSC00503.jpg.8b7d217e284566951fb8090ddbceb037.jpg

I misread your question:o Hanalei has some completely different bird species, including ducks, Hawaiian stilts, and is well worth visiting as well if you are a serious birder.

Archived