Pricing

tcocktail

Two situations that have probably affected cruise prices for next year are the increased cost of oil and the decline in the value of the dollar.

If you are comparing current costs for '09 and '10, you may be seeing discounted prices for this year as they attempt to fill the ships. Prices for next year are probably in line with what they normally first publish prices at. Those prices can fluctuate quite a bit between first being published and sailing date, depending on how good or bad bookings are.

p.s. after I posted, I noticed that you asked for a suggestion ... there doesn't seem to be a lot of incentive to book early as many cruises this year have been discounted closer to sailing. If you are comfortable with waiting, you'll probably get some incentive ... either lower prices, reduced air, on-board credit, a combination of the 3 or if lucky, all 3.

However, if you have your heart set on a particular itinerary and are OK with the current pricing, I would book, get the cabin that you want, and then keep a close eye on price reductions so that you can take advantage of them.

Thank you for your input. It is laways good to get confirmation of the plan in place. But why does Azamara play the game of higher prices when first published then lower them? If the many passengers see the decrease that really doesn't do much for the bottom line. I wonder what percentage of passenger actually get a reduction in price?

Cruise lines try to fill their cabins at the highest rate they can get. As it gets closer to sailing date and cabins are still empty they begin to lower their rates. This year, with the economy in the tank, no one was booking so the cruise lines across the board made drastic cuts on prices and added amenities. No one knows now what the situation will be in 2010 so there's no reason to give away the shop at this point.

Here's my advice. If there's a specific cruise you want and a specific cabin have your TA book on the condition that should the price come down they will honor the lower price for you. If you don't have specific needs I'd wait to see what the market dictates.

The prices are actually in line with the original prices for 2009 cruises. When I booked our May 16 Best of Italy in September 2008, it was 5600 (for two--with fuel surcharge) for an ocean view. By the time of the cruise, we paid 3400 for a veranda. Azamara is very good about adjusting prices if you call them (or have your TA do so).

Now that is no guarantee that the same thing will happen next year as I think the economics of this year are a bit unique--and no telling what will happen in a year. It has certainly been a buyer's market for travelers! If you think the cruise is worth the original price--then book it and be pleasantly surprised if the prices drop.

But why does Azamara play the game of higher prices when first published then lower them?

tcocktail

Often, with Azamara and most other cruise lines, the cheapest prices are those available at the time the brochures are released. As the other posters have said, the current economic situation is not normal. However, as Azamara will honour later price reductions [provided you ask at the time] you do not lose by booking early.

You asked for suggestions: The best value cruises are usually the repositioning itineraries. So, if you are not particular about where you go [and enjoy sea days], go for one of those.

Sue

I am trying to plan a cruise for September of 2010. but wow the prices have really gone up. Does anyone one have any suggestions for me?

How could the prices so much higher then this year 2009?

Hi Tcocktail !

I agree with the other posters about pricing. On many Azamara sailings, the prices aren't much higher than this time last year. The dates I am watching, are fairly comparable to last season.

The big point is.... that if you book, and the price comes down, in most cases, you will get the price reduction, as long as you or your TA stays on top of the pricing. If you see a particular date or itinerary you want, I'd highly recommend booking it, as Azamara ships are far smaller than Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, and you run the risk of being shut-out. At this point, all it costs you, is the deposit, which is refundable until final payment date.

Archived