"O" Asia or SA cruise

kathy16

Hard call.

I've cruised in both South America and Asia, and I prefer the latter. My choice might be influenced by the fact that I spent my military time in the Far East - who knows?

There are some great cruises in both regions.

I have faced that choice, and for me, it comes down to the fact that I don't like being cramped up in an airplane and I can't afford business class. Maybe some day I will decide Asia is worth the time in the air, but in the meantime, there are still things to see in South America. So far, all three of the O cruises I have enjoyed have involved South America, and have been very much worthwhile.

If had a choice between "O" Asia or South American cruise, which would you recommend? Have not been to either area before.

Kathy

Kathy,

It's an impossible call to make for someone else - they are both wonderful yet different. Why not do one at a time. I would start with Asia as that part of the world is changing more rapidly (esp. VietNam and Cambodia), while you can still capture what is left of the "old" world. It's already too late for the big cities in China, though rural China has remained much the same. SA has not changed as much, it will be there waiting for you.

I would start with Asia as that part of the world is changing more rapidly (esp. VietNam and Cambodia), while you can still capture what is left of the "old" world.

I agree, my first choice would be Southeast Asia. Both destinations (SA or Asia) are outstanding, and even though we have cruised SE Asia twice, I would return again in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. Halong Bay is magical, Ko Samui is beautiful, Ho Chi Minh City is bustling and fascinating, Semarang with its incredible Borobudur, Bali . . . . . it makes me want to re-read (JackfromWA) "Jack from Washington's" review all over again in an attempt to relive the extraordinary experience of SE Asia.

I am a little nervous about Asia cruise, since Asia is so foreign to me, and I don't know if I will do well in very crowded situations, where I don't speak the language. My husband who was stationed at an Air force base in Thailand thinks I may not be comfortable in Bangkok. But the 24 day "O" Bangkok to Beijing cruise sounds very intriguing to me. And, I am really interested in a 2 night pre-cruise to Angkor Wat. Sometimes, you have to push your limits...

Kathy

I am a little nervous about Asia cruise, since Asia is so foreign to me, and I don't know if I will do well in very crowded situations, where I don't speak the language. My husband who was stationed at an Air force base in Thailand thinks I may not be comfortable in Bangkok. But the 24 day "O" Bangkok to Beijing cruise sounds very intriguing to me. And, I am really interested in a 2 night pre-cruise to Angkor Wat. Sometimes, you have to push your limits...

Kathy

Even though I do not know you personally, I am sure you would be very glad if you did decide to "push your limits" and do this tour. It is truly wonderful - go for it. It will introduce you to an entirely "new world". You will not be there all alone.

The crowds are no worse than Disneyworld and the rewards much greater (IMO).

I have never regretted any trip I took - only the ones I have not taken.....

We have long flights wherever we go but over the years we have been many times to Asia whereas South America was someplace that we longed to visit and was very foreign to us.

We did a great cruise back in 2006 and visited Antarctica as well as taking time to see the Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu and a separate cruise around the Galapagos. That is one of the best trips we have ever done and comes very close to the best trip ever which was last year when we went from Hong Kong to Athens on the Nautica.

We did Asia on a cruise earlier this year which included China, Korea and Japan and then did a 14 private tour of China. It was exciting and we did enjoy it but it will never come up to the fabulous time we had in South America.

Jennie

Kathy

Since you haven't been to Asia yet, a cruise is the best way to have a first time experience. If you go on your own, there are so many things that will be challenging. On a cruise there is far less challenge to a first time visitor.

Archived