Travel Agent or Carnival for booking?

mschuchu

I asked a similar question sometime ago, and after careful diliberation, decided to go with a TA.

Not that I really need the hand-holding services a TA provides, but because the price of my cruise would be the same regardless of whether I booked TA or Carnival PVP. HOWEVER, the TA was offering an extra "perk" like a gift card. So I figured at least I'll get something extra.

Which is a better way to go for booking a cruise for the best deal? Travel Agent or Directly through Carnival. Thanks

Both have their pros and cons. I've always used a TA, but for my upcomming cruise, booked direct for the first time. The TA's weren't as competative this time around.

I asked a similar question sometime ago, and after careful diliberation, decided to go with a TA.

Not that I really need the hand-holding services a TA provides, but because the price of my cruise would be the same regardless of whether I booked TA or Carnival PVP. HOWEVER, the TA was offering an extra "perk" like a gift card. So I figured at least I'll get something extra.

I use a TA and like that I can email or talk to her on the phone quickly.

I need a lot of hand-holding. I switched ships three times before deciding on the Freedom:o

I booked my cruise out of Baltimore with Carnival. Called a TA and she was charging 122.00 more per person for a interior cabin for two. I got a cheaper price plus insurance through Carnival than a TA would have charged me without insurance if I had gone with the TA.

I booked my cruise out of Baltimore with Carnival. Called a TA and she was charging 122.00 more per person for a interior cabin for two. I got a cheaper price plus insurance through Carnival than a TA would have charged me without insurance if I had gone with the TA.

That seems odd, and I bet the TA was not using the same promo code as the PVP you booked with or possibly a different category stateroom....gotta compare apples to apples when making the decision who is best to book the cruise with. Happy to hear you got your cruise booked with someone though :D

My experience this time around was I waiting on hold for a good hour both times I had to call my TA. The TA I used was online so they encourage you to do everything online but sometimes you need to talk to a live human. Next time I'm dealing direct. Actually this time around the prices were pretty compatiable. ;)

Which is a better way to go for booking a cruise for the best deal? Travel Agent or Directly through Carnival. Thanks

I prefer a TA......I want someone who is working for me than someone who is working for the company....

i tried to book through a ta but they were always on vacation...

so they lost the bizness and i booked with a pvp...

then when they got back....they wanted me to switch to them as a professional courtsey.....yeah right so they could get a commission for doing nothing

even better was the other ta who never returned my calls

Booked my first cruise through a travel agent, nothing special, had to pay the full brochure rate. Hey, it was the first time and I had a lot to learn!

Second time, for the same cruise, I used a pvp, who gave me excellent service and a lower rate, which included several rate reductions after I first booked the cruise.

I particularly liked being able to work with someone who was always available and could easily access Carnival for anything extra I might need. In our case, we have a special needs family member who needs a bit of accomodation. No big deal with the pvp, she took care of us.

Have used the same pvp for several more cruises and she already has our preferences, special needs considerations, ect. on file, so it's pretty easy. Frankly, the level of service I've received from our pvp is a big reason why we continue to book with Carnival.

Have been on a few cruises. This is my first time with a PVP and I will

do it again. When I couldn't reach my PVP I called customer service and

booked my upgrade.I like to be able to talk with Carnival at all times.

My experience, (with several TA"s) is they keep me waiting all the time. Maybe there are better one's out there but I have yet to find them. Haven't found that they do much more than I can do myself.

My biggest complaint with a TA is not being able to reach them immediately.After they got my money they were terrible about returning my calls. Sometimes it would be days later. When I have a good deal I want to complete it as soon as possible .

Just my personal experience.

I prefer a TA......I want someone who is working for me than someone who is working for the company....

A TA usually works for a company too, and that company has the same need to make a profit that carnival does.

Make sure of, before booking with a TA, their cancellation policy, change policy, and fee policy. Some of them charge you a fee for every change you make and some refuse to rebook you at a lower price when you find it.

There are great PVPs and great TAs. But there are also bad PVPs and bad TAs...

I've only booked two cruises and used the same TA both times. I've known her a while (before she became my TA), and I trust her - so, for me, I can't imagine going with anyone else. She's also cruised a lot herself on many different lines, so she is able to give me a very personal perspective.

I have also researched prices myself online before and after any quotes she's sent, and she has always beat them. So, I will stick with her! :)

(This is just my experience - and if I was allowed to disclose more info, I would - I like her service that much :D.)

For our trip this Oct used PVP. Was 130.00 per person cheaper. I'm a past guest, but a newbie going with us this year and the PVP work very well with her. Got us a upgade from the upper deck to Lido for same price. Kathy just explained to the PVP that her hubby has bad knees and I was Past guest so What could she do for us. Jackpot got what Kathy and I had discussed about location.The only drawback is sometimes it takes a day or two for them to get back to you, so be patient. Can't even imagine how many calls and people they ( PVP) work with.

Keep in mind that if you book with a TA, all other transactions must go through the TA as well. Carnival won't even talk to you about your reservation or allow you to make any direct payments. I use a TA myself on occasion and this is the only problem I have with the system.

A TA usually works for a company too, and that company has the same need to make a profit that carnival does.

Make sure of, before booking with a TA, their cancellation policy, change policy, and fee policy. Some of them charge you a fee for every change you make and some refuse to rebook you at a lower price when you find it.

There are great PVPs and great TAs. But there are also bad PVPs and bad TAs...

I totally agree there are some bad ones in both areas but the one clear distinction between a bad PVP and a bad TA is that if at any time you find yourself unhappy with your PVP you can simply ask to speak to their supervisor to remedy the issue or hang up the phone and call the general line and speak to any PVP as long as you know your PIN.

If you are unhappy with your TA and they have a boss you may get to voice your concerns but you can't leave the agency without begging for mercy and getting them to agree to release your booking (if they are even willing) or if you are within your allowed cancellation time you can cancel. If the agency has fees you are stuck with them and if the price has gone up for your cruise since initial booking you will be booking at a higher rate. It's a messy situation all the way around.

Unless you have a stellar TA you really have to willing to accept whatever service they provide with very little recourse on your end if you are unhappy. I think alot of people that are happy with their TAs are the ones that have built a relationship over years. Those that are frustrated with their TAs are using TAs over the internet or locally that just aren't comitted to building a client/TA relationship. Those that are lucky to find a good TA are fortunate just as those who find a good PVP are.

]For our trip this Oct used PVP. Was 130.00 per person cheaper. I'm a past guest[/color]' date=' but a newbie going with us this year and the PVP work very well with her. Got us a upgade from the upper deck to Lido for same price. Kathy just explained to the PVP that her hubby has bad knees and I was Past guest so What could she do for us. Jackpot got what Kathy and I had discussed about location.The only drawback is sometimes it takes a day or two for them to get back to you, so be patient. Can't even imagine how many calls and people they ( PVP) work with.[/quote']

Whichever TA quoted you your cruise prices is apparently not very knowledgeable. If you are a TA and Carnival comes in with a cheaper price then that agency should not be in business.

TA's have access to every discount a PVP can get you so at bare minimum they should be even in price, NEVER more.

Bill

Archived