Is it cheaper to buy Italian Train tickets in advance?

WIn the UK if you book your train journeys ahead of your travel date and specify the specific time you want to travel, it can be considerably cheaper than buying your ticket on the day. Is it the same in Italy does anyone know? We will be spending a few days in milan before going on to Venice and I'm wondering whether I'd be better to buy our tickets now or just buy them on the day?

Thanks

WIn the UK if you book your train journeys ahead of your travel date and specify the specific time you want to travel, it can be considerably cheaper than buying your ticket on the day. Is it the same in Italy does anyone know? We will be spending a few days in milan before going on to Venice and I'm wondering whether I'd be better to buy our tickets now or just buy them on the day?

Thanks

Trenitalia has several promotions going on for advanced purchase. Everything that I have read indicates that they must be purchased at a ticket window in a station (not online or via machine).

I generally discourage people from purchasing ahead of time because, if your plans change, you might be stuck with a worthless ticket. Tickets are not refundable except under some unusual circumstances, and then only by a credit for future travel, mailed to your "Italian" address.

Regionale train tickets are not available for advance purchase. They buy you the "right to travel" and do not guarantee a seat. Just buy and go.

Hi: We're taking the train from Rome to Florence and then Florence to Rome this summer. The Trenitalia Web site is undergoing some changes right now and claims it will have the transition done June 15. From what information I've been gathering, Trenitalia is offering a Super 60 (60% off) fare reductions on at least some routes on tickets purchased 30 days in advance. They also are promoting a 15% discount on tickets purchased seven days in advance. Then there's a family fare (20% off) if one family member is 12 or under. And they claim to be introducing ticketless travel: They e-mail a receipt, you bring the receipt on board, and then show your receipt and ID when asked for your tickets. That would eliminate the hassle of worrying about your tickets being lost or stolen. I'm having my TA check this out and will post more information when available.

Hi: We're taking the train from Rome to Florence and then Florence to Rome this summer. The Trenitalia Web site is undergoing some changes right now and claims it will have the transition done June 15. From what information I've been gathering, Trenitalia is offering a Super 60 (60% off) fare reductions on at least some routes on tickets purchased 30 days in advance. They also are promoting a 15% discount on tickets purchased seven days in advance. Then there's a family fare (20% off) if one family member is 12 or under. And they claim to be introducing ticketless travel: They e-mail a receipt, you bring the receipt on board, and then show your receipt and ID when asked for your tickets. That would eliminate the hassle of worrying about your tickets being lost or stolen. I'm having my TA check this out and will post more information when available.

I just checked on the Trenitalia sites (both English and Italian) as this is from the English version.

60% Discount

"on this site, through our Call Center (fee-paying numbers) and with the ticketless procedure also from the approved travel agencies."

AV/AV Fast: from Milan to Rome and to Naples and return.

ES* Fast:

from Rome to Venice Mestre/S.Lucia, Padova, Verona, Genoa , Rimini, Bari, Brindisi, Lecce, Lamezia T., Reggio C., Villa S. Giovanni and return.

30% Discount

Same purchase terms as above

AV/AV Fast : from Milano to Rome and Naples and return

ES* Fast : from Rome to Venice Mestre/S.Lucia, Padova, Verona, Genoa , Rimini, Bari, Brindisi, Lecce, Lamezia T., Reggio C., Villa S. Giovanni and return.

15% Discount

Same purchase terms as above

The Promo Offer is valid on these trains; Alta Velocità, Alta Velocità Fast, Eurostar and Eurostar Fast.

In the past, the ticketless purchase have been limited to those in Italy. If you were coming from a US/Canada site, it would not let you purchase ahead of time online. Only from Italy.

I again caution people from purchasing in advance. You could end up with a worthless ticket, or paying a premium price to get a refund (in the form of a travel credit). I have never known Trenitalia or Ferrovie dello Stato to give cash refunds. If the purchase was made outside Italy it will further compound the problem. Once they see that they will tell you that is where you must go to get a 'refund'. I think that the whole effort is penny wise and pound foolish. IMHO

when buying a train ticket is it for a particular trip on a designated train (like the airllines) or is it like a bus ticket for a particular route? If I know I will need a train ticket RT from Civi to Rome for Sept 2 for example can i prepurchase and hop on any regional train or not. I know you discourage prepurchase, just trying to figure out why it would be worthless. thanks

when buying a train ticket is it for a particular trip on a designated train (like the airllines) or is it like a bus ticket for a particular route? If I know I will need a train ticket RT from Civi to Rome for Sept 2 for example can i prepurchase and hop on any regional train or not. I know you discourage pre-purchase, just trying to figure out why it would be worthless. thanks

You can pre-purchase, within Italy, tickets for anytime. The ticket is good for 90 days after purchase or till midnight the day that it is validated. Regional tickets are for a route, good for any time, any train, within the class purchased. Regional tickets are for a "right of passage" and not a seat.

IC, IC+, ESCity, ES, ES Fast, AV and AV Fast are all for a specific train, specific car, specific seat.

Hello GPSLover: After doing more research, I believe you're right. On another forum, one poster said that trying to make an online purchase through the Trenitalia from the United States (whether it is possible or not) is a sure path to insanity. Since there are three high-speed trains from Rome to Florence scheduled within an hour of when we want to go in late July, I'm waiting to get to Italy to those purchase tickets. From Florence to Venice, there appears to be only one mid-day train (maybe because we're traveling on a Sunday) so I might consider buying those tickets in advance.

Ken

Hello GPSLover: After doing more research, I believe you're right. On another forum, one poster said that trying to make an online purchase through the Trenitalia from the United States (whether it is possible or not) is a sure path to insanity. Since there are three high-speed trains from Rome to Florence scheduled within an hour of when we want to go in late July, I'm waiting to get to Italy to those purchase tickets. From Florence to Venice, there appears to be only one mid-day train (maybe because we're traveling on a Sunday) so I might consider buying those tickets in advance.

Ken

If you are looking for tickets on the AV or Eurostar, buy them the minute you arrive in Italy. Just remember, you must take that train!

I have been trying to purchase tickets on the Trenitialia website for 2 weeks - I am now long past the insanity phase - I have tried 3 different user accounts - 4 different credit cards. I have also emailed them a picture of my passport as requested by them. Nothing works - payments all get declined and every email I get I do exactly what they tell me to do and still nothing changes. I have been avoiding Rail Europe because their prices are on average 30% higher. I guess I will wait until tomorrow and try again if, as another poster says, their website update finishes tomorrow.

I have never experienced anything like this.

Larry

I have been trying to purchase tickets on the Trenitialia website for 2 weeks - I am now long past the insanity phase - I have tried 3 different user accounts - 4 different credit cards. I have also emailed them a picture of my passport as requested by them. Nothing works - payments all get declined and every email I get I do exactly what they tell me to do and still nothing changes. I have been avoiding Rail Europe because their prices are on average 30% higher. I guess I will wait until tomorrow and try again if, as another poster says, their website update finishes tomorrow.

I have never experienced anything like this.

Larry

Unless you are trying to purchase Eurostar tickets for use immediately after you get off the plane, there is no reason to pre-purchase Trenitalia tickets!

Except that I can purchase early and get the 15% off promo!

I am looking to get the ES fast train Rome to Florence for the day - want to make sure train is not sold out - the times I want.

Larry

That's assuming that the Trenitalia site will let you purchase because you are not in Italy. That is a big question mark as their software works with an Italian company and only through Italian web sites.

There are a list of a few things Trenitalia emailed for me to do after initially being declined, I did and still nothing - they answered my first 2 emails but never again - they also have a phone number to call which I did but it was no help in the long run!

Larry

There are a list of a few things Trenitalia emailed for me to do after initially being declined, I did and still nothing - they answered my first 2 emails but never again - they also have a phone number to call which I did but it was no help in the long run!

Larry

OK Larry,

Let's start from the beginning:

(a) What date and time do you arrive in Italy?

(b) What train (Number), destination, and date/time do you wish to have tickets on?

Maybe we can get some clarity on this issue...

Getting into Rome July 11

Looking at the 7:30 am train to Florence on the 12th and returning early evening.

I don't remember the numbers- they are non stop I believe - one of the 100 minute trips

If it were my wife and I, we would wait until we arrived in Rome to purchase the tickets. Buy the Leonardo Express tickets, and then buy the Eurostar tickets. Should not be a problem for a Sunday. Worst case, if the early train is crowded, you go 1cl (which probably would not be necessary).

I did the adavnced purchase on the Trenitalia site and there was no problem. I am from Canada and used a Canadian credit card so not sure if that made the difference. I got the confirmation e-mail from them the next day and even had the ticketless option. I had to buy my ticket way in advance because I have to get on the very first train leaving Venice for Rome that day in order to make it to my flight on time.

We just returned from Italy and took the eurostar train from Milan to Venice. We were there a couple of days and bought our tickets there at the train station one day ahead. The price was the same as what they were showing on their web site for early purchase. Sometimes the lines are a little long at the ticket counter but no problem at all getting them.

We took the 8:05 am train and there were several business people on there but still plenty of room.

Barbara

Thanks Barbara, that sounds pretty much like what we want to do, so I'll just follow your example and buy them when we arrive in Milan. Can you only buy them at Centrale or would I be able to get them at Cadrona too? (We'll be coming into Milan from the airport to that train station and it would save a seperate trip to Centrale)

Thanks Barbara, that sounds pretty much like what we want to do, so I'll just follow your example and buy them when we arrive in Milan. Can you only buy them at Centrale or would I be able to get them at Cadrona too? (We'll be coming into Milan from the airport to that train station and it would save a seperate trip to Centrale)

You can purchase train tickets for any train anywhere in Italy at any train station in Italy.

We just left Milan on Sunday and spent time at both train stations (Cadorna & Centrale). It seems to me that all of the trains that go into Cadorna are operated by a private company (norte) not affiliated with the National tren Italia service. I didn't look, but I don't remember seeing any trenItalia ticket counters at Cadorna. However, the green Metro line connects Centrale with Cadorna in 5 stops.

We went to Cadorna to take the train to the Lake Como Lakeside station which has an easy connection to the Lake Como ferry system for a scenic trip to Bellagio via boat. When we came back, we took the Italian National train from Varenna/Esino on Sunday afternoon to Milan Centrale and then took the subway to Cadorna where we purchased tickets for the Malpensa Express to head to the airport (dragging all of our lugguge with us the entire way).

Since Varenna doesn't really have a manned train station, we purchased our tickets for that segment at the Venice train station a few days before. I was able to use one of the machines to do it and paid with my Mastercard, avoiding a very long line at the station. We also used machines in Livorno to purchase our round trip Florence tickets, paying by coin, again avoiding along line which would have prevented us from boarding the 7:30 train.

:eek:

My husband and I will be taking our very first cruise to the Med July5, 2009. I have been racking my mind trying to plan for sightseeing! We do not like to go on tours and would rather DIY. My question is from Civitavecchia, which train do we have to board to get to Rome and in addition to train tickets do we need to buy the BIRG tickets to get to Vatican City etc. Should I buy all in advance or wait until that morning when we get to the train station from the port and how far is the train station from the port? I really wish NCL would set up an FAQ about how to get around when they get us to the ports! Rome is driving me nuts and I still have to research for Naples and Livorno! Any help would be great! Also, I came across a spectacular review about the person's trip which was broken down by each port but cannot find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please let me know! I tried to bookmark it, but it just bookmarked the cruisecritic board page!

Is cruising always this nutty beforehand?! I feel like I need to go to travel agent school!!

Thanks again for any help!

:eek:

My husband and I will be taking our very first cruise to the Med July5, 2009. I have been racking my mind trying to plan for sightseeing! We do not like to go on tours and would rather DIY. My question is from Civitavecchia, which train do we have to board to get to Rome and in addition to train tickets do we need to buy the BIRG tickets to get to Vatican City etc. Should I buy all in advance or wait until that morning when we get to the train station from the port and how far is the train station from the port? I really wish NCL would set up an FAQ about how to get around when they get us to the ports! Rome is driving me nuts and I still have to research for Naples and Livorno! Any help would be great! Also, I came across a spectacular review about the person's trip which was broken down by each port but cannot find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please let me know! I tried to bookmark it, but it just bookmarked the cruisecritic board page!

Is cruising always this nutty beforehand?! I feel like I need to go to travel agent school!!

Thanks again for any help!

I strongly suggest that you read my train site (link below) as it will answer many of your questions. Probably will answer questions that you have not even thought of. There is an email link if you have more specific questions pertaining to your situation. Please ask questions of a more generic nature online so all can benefit.

Thanks

You can try to book in advance, however, I think that you might hit a brick wall. The advance purchase links on Trenitalia appear to be linked to an Italian based banking service, and if you are not in their "zone", you won't get through.

I'd probably wait till I arrived in Milan, and buy the train tickets that day. You may get some kind of a discount.

Archived