brand of tea

sweetone0523

Twinings in many varieties includin English Breakfast, Afternoon, Ceylon, Earl Grey, Lapsang, Ceylon, Assam and various herb teas. They also serve a few Wedgewood teas that I believe are blended by Twinings as well.

Funny thing about tea. I am totally devoted to American tea--Lipton or Tetley. I always take my own teapot on trips. I pick up sugar and milk at the Kings Court daily and have tea whenever I want in my cabin. However, after discovering on my first QM2 voyage that the tea was all British, and not to my personal taste, I now bring my own tea bags. Makes it a little awkward in the dining room for breakfast when I bring my own travel mug of hot water (bottled) and my own bag. But, enjoyment my way exceeds the embarrassment.

Regards,

Jeanne

Help me--please! Why do I not like the British tea then? They are different, yes? My imagnation? It is about the flavor, not where they are from. Good grief. I don't want to be crazy this soon.

Jeanne

No way are you going crazy.

I believe the teas sold in the US are made or packaged here for American tastes.Thay are somewhat diferent than the ones sold in the UK.

Personally I always bring tea home form the UK because I prefer it. To each his own. Enjoy your cruise.:)

No way are you going crazy.

I believe the teas sold in the US are made or packaged here for American tastes.Thay are somewhat diferent than the ones sold in the UK.

Personally I always bring tea home form the UK because I prefer it. To each his own. Enjoy your cruise.:)

I guess that explains why I haven't been able to get a decent cup of tea in the US. The Tetley tea we get in Canada (which is packaged in the UK) is very strong. We can get three decent cups from one bag.

A good strong tea is that sold in a Vermont store (mail order) is known as Yorkshire tea.Unfortunately that is the only store known to me that stocks this tea and of course it is rather costly since you also have to pay shipping and handling

A local supermarket here does sell a product known as British Blend, but it is not that strong.

My complaint re the tea served on Cunard is that the waiters do not listen to the order, I have lost count of the times when I ask for a POT of English BREAKFAST tea only to

receive a weak cup of "dishwater" poured from a "communial " jug.

Even at afternoon tea on the QM2 recently I had trouble getting a POT of Darjeeling tea instead of the communial pot the waiters poured from. I did get the tea for which I asked but only after trying 4 waiters and finally the Head Waiter himself.

As for Lapsang which is my preferred tea after dinner, that is even more of a struggle, not because Cunard does not serve that tea simply the waiter hears only the word "Tea" not the type.

To all British ex military, anything is better than NAAFI "char and a wad"

Lynn

A good strong tea is that sold in a Vermont store (mail order) is known as Yorkshire tea.Unfortunately that is the only store known to me that stocks this tea and of course it is rather costly since you also have to pay shipping and handling

A local supermarket here does sell a product known as British Blend, but it is not that strong.

My complaint re the tea served on Cunard is that the waiters do not listen to the order, I have lost count of the times when I ask for a POT of English BREAKFAST tea only to

receive a weak cup of "dishwater" poured from a "communal " jug.

Even at afternoon tea on the QM2 recently I had trouble getting a POT of Darjeeling tea instead of the communial pot the waiters poured from. I did get the tea for which I asked but only after trying 4 waiters and finally the Head Waiter himself.

As for Lapsang which is my preferred tea after dinner, that is even more of a struggle, not because Cunard does not serve that tea simply the waiter hears only the word "Tea" not the type.

Lynn

Look at this site the gold blend tea is strong enought to paint the garden fence with.

http://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/#

As has been stated there are many varieties of tea. Unfortunately Cunard alone in the western world has failed to grasp the concept that tea and coffee are, in general, supposed to be hot bevarages. That is hot as in being of a high temperature not hot as in being slightly warm. Individual likes and dislikes may be adjusted in situ but not if the original brew water is only tepid.

A Cool Gari

Beverages I mean

Good Morning Zider

I have lived in Stourport on Seven.

I have lived in the USA since 1977, The only place I have found for Yorkshire tea is a store in New Hampshire, which sells it mail order. I do buy it occasionally but it is expensive.

I lived in London for many years, including during the Blitz, and believe me along with all the rest of the Londoners I drank many "cuppa's".

In 2004 here in FL my town was hit with Hurricane Charlie, I was in a house that was literally blown apart, around me , only the 4 outside walls were left standing.

An English friend in Derby sent me a care package - 100 teabags of Yorkshire tea!

My neighbours thought it "very strange" but then they had never been in the Blitz.

I hope that all the tea drinkers on Cunard insist on the tea of their choice served IN A POT, and made with boiling water

Good Morning Zider

I have lived in the USA since 1977, The only place I have found for Yorkshire tea is a store in New Hampshire, which sells it mail order. I do buy it occasionally but it is expensive.

I lived in London for many years, including during the Blitz, and believe me along with all the rest of the Londoners I drank many "cuppa's".

In 2004 here in FL my town was hit with Hurricane Charlie, I was in a house that was literally blown apart, around me , only the 4 outside walls were left standing.

An English friend in Derby sent me a care package - 100 teabags of Yorkshire tea!

My neighbours thought it "very strange" but then they had never been in the Blitz.

I hope that all the tea drinkers on Cunard insist on the tea of their choice served IN A POT, and made with boiling water

http://shopping.netsuite.com/taylorsteas This site is in California and also does mail order. To go without booze OK without good tea that's not on.

Good Morning Zider

We live in Connecticut our local Stop&Shop sells Yorkshire tea as well as many other British foods. There is a special UK section. They have stores in MA NH NJ RI

hi do i understand that there is a means of boiling water in the cabins??

My travel tea kettle goes with me everywhere. This one I have had for years. It holds four cups. It is plastic and light weight and I assure all here that it is quite safe and poses no fire threat. It is a Krups. I just did a quick search to see if they still made this model and could not find it. I did find one from Proctor Silex.

Jeanne

1423670967_teakettle.jpg.06dfbf4f6baf7f7327451dc562bd1a83.jpg

Where do you plug in your "hot pot" in the cabin?

How do you deal with the sugar and mil requirements?

Have you had any problems with it going through airport security? Do you put it in your checked luggage or your carry on?

I have such a pot and would like to take it with me for a cup of tea in my cabin (room serive does NOT make a decent cup of tea), but thought it would not get through the inspection.

Thank you for any advice

Where do you plug in your "hot pot" in the cabin?

How do you deal with the sugar and mil requirements?

Have you had any problems with it going through airport security? Do you put it in your checked luggage or your carry on?

I have such a pot and would like to take it with me for a cup of tea in my cabin (room serive does NOT make a decent cup of tea), but thought it would not get through the inspection.

Thank you for any advice

In the case of QM2, when I board I go to Kings Court and get a handful or so of sugar, a spoon, and, if I do not bring my own mug, I get a cup as well. On QM2 I have never seen the very small containers of milk, so I am forced to pour milk into a glass and then transfer it to a closed container in my cabin. The way I set up my little "tea section", the cabin steward knows not to take anything away. I also bring a very small dish scrubber. The perfect size is a product called "Rescue". There has always been an outlet right near the desk in all cabins that I have been in on QM2.

I have never had trouble transporting the pot. It goes either in a suit case or carry on, depending on how I have set up my packing. It has never been questioned. It is no different than any other electrical appliance, i.e. electric tooth brush, water pik, hair dryer.

Jeanne

I always take my own tea with me everywhere I go--even to our Sunday church social hours. I love Licorice Spice and African red teas. On our first cruise I took a hot pot along and encountered no problemd. Since then, however, I have decided that it is easier to just order pots of hot water from room service.

They do have flavoured teas, believe the tea is Bigelows .

Certainly they have sugar substitutes,

The only caveat is that the waiters do tend to ignore the "type" when tea is ordered, but you can always insist -politely- that they take back the incorrect and bring you the tea you asked for.

Oh, I don't know Lynn. I was quite partial to the stuff they made with condensed milk. And the Scottish Regiments had an additional "secret" ingredient that could brighten up the dullest day :)

Jimmy

Oh, I don't know Lynn. I was quite partial to the stuff they made with condensed milk. And the Scottish Regiments had an additional "secret" ingredient that could brighten up the dullest day :)

Jimmy

Yeah James. that was great stuff, kind of an orangey colour, lovely at 3am on stag brewed up in a stainless steel bucket in the guardroom. A flavour all of its own.

Off to begin packing for ra morrer's morn, my C.E.O. is giving me increasingly strong hints. Well I say 'pack' more like hurl some kit in the general direction of my suitcase and hope for the best. I'm not of the 'fold everything in bubblewrap' persuasion as my crumpled state on board will testify.

An Outward Bound Gari

Off to begin packing for ra morrer's morn, my C.E.O. is giving me increasingly strong hints. Well I say 'pack' more like hurl some kit in the general direction of my suitcase and hope for the best. I'm not of the 'fold everything in bubblewrap' persuasion as my crumpled state on board will testify.

An Outward Bound Gari

Ah, packing. Bit of a brute that. I assume your valet has gone off on holiday and you've been left to do it on your own. Here's my personal packing aide-memoire. Hope it helps.

J

IT/Communication Equipment

Laptop

External hard drive

2 x packs writeable DVD's

Marine band scanner

Charger unit for above

Cameras/Optical Equipment

Both SLR cameras

Back-up compact camera

Spare battery for each camera

Battery chargers for each camera

28-300mm zoom lens

18-35mm zoom lens

105mm macro lens

Flash

Spare batteries for flash

Tripod

Monopod

6 x 4Gb compact flash memory cards

2 x 4Gb SD memory cards

Binoculars

GPS Geotagging Unit

Other Stuff

underpants, socks, clothes

Ah, packing. Bit of a brute that. I assume your valet has gone off on holiday and you've been left to do it on your own. Here's my personal packing aide-memoire. Hope it helps.

J

IT/Communication Equipment

Laptop

External hard drive

2 x packs writeable DVD's

Marine band scanner

Charger unit for above

Cameras/Optical Equipment

Both SLR cameras

Back-up compact camera

Spare battery for each camera

Battery chargers for each camera

28-300mm zoom lens

18-35mm zoom lens

105mm macro lens

Flash

Spare batteries for flash

Tripod

Monopod

6 x 4Gb compact flash memory cards

2 x 4Gb SD memory cards

Binoculars

GPS Geotagging Unit

Other Stuff

underpants, socks, clothes

And to think you had the nerve to complain about all the room your wife's stuff was taking, when all along you knew there was only enough room left, after you first filled your car with all your crap, for her to take one measly suitcase For shame!:eek:

Archived