5/31/09 Westerdam to Alaska Review

bjbear

I'm just back from the 5/31/09 Alaska cruise (spent a few days in Olympic National Park) and can't seem to post this on the thread already started for this cruise so I started a new one. I think people are generally quick to complain and don't take the time to share when it's a positive thing. And I have to thank all of CCers for all the helpful tips I got prior to this cruise.

Embarkation was so smooth, thanks to the CCers tip to get to Pier 91 about 11:30. The porter actually filled out my luggage tags, put them on the luggage, took it away and it appeared in my cabin around 4:00. Was boarding the ship around 12:00.

Met a lot of nice people at the Meet and Greet, thanks again, Lisa, for putting it together for us.

CABIN - I had a verandah cabin on the Rotterdam (7) deck in a perfect place to run up and down to the Lido for snacks/drinks! My cabin steward was Ugih and his assistant was Fabian and they were both wonderful. I met them the first night and they were great. All the staff that I encountered were great although I felt they were all somewhat stretched and really busy, but the service remained consistently good throughout the cruise but I didn't use the Spa services. The bed was the most comfortable cruise ship bed I ever slept in and the bathroom was great. I loved the extra shower room provided by the tub and having great water pressure in the shower. Also liked all the storage in the room.Ugih made towel animals and every night I found a different, delightful "critter" on my bed with chocolates. :)

FOOD - I loved the food. :D The appetizers, salads, and entrees in the dining room were as good, or better, than the cruise line I've previously cruised. The food in the Lido and room service was very good, again better than past cruises. The hamburgers at the Terrace Grill were the best I've eaten! The bread, pastries, and desserts could stand improvement, IMHO, but I realize food is very subjective! ;) I did find the bread pudding you guys told me about and, oh my, it was good! I loved all the salmon and Alaskan dishes that appeared daily on the menu. I didn't eat in the Pinnacle Grill.

WEATHER - The weather was incredible!! It was in the 70's and blue, sunny skies every single day of the cruise. This is very unusual for Alaska and everyone was commenting on the wonderful weather. I've never had weather like this in Alaska on past trips. Not a drop of rain nor a cloud in the sky. Well, one night it was foggy but cleared off in AM and I loved hearing Captain Harris blow the fog horn.

PORTS - I did several independent shore excursions, thanks to tips from my fellow CCers. Went with Captain Larry in Juneau on a whale watching excursion and with Captain Davey on the Esther G in Sitka on a Sea Otter and Wildlife tour. Both were incredible trips, the best I've had yet. Captain Larry found whales and mama and baby entertained us non-stop for 2 hours!! Breaching, flipping, feeding, waving, tails, etc. It was the most awesome thing I've ever seen. Captain Davey took us to St Lauenzains (I can't spell it) Island and we saw thousands of birds, tufted puffins, cormorants, muirs, gillamonts, sea otters and seals, and all kinds of other sea life. It was breathtaking! On the way back, he gave us the famous Esther G cookies and found a whale for us to watch!! :D

I also did a lot of walking around on my own. Took the tram up Mt. Roberts, what a stupendous sight due to the beautiful day. And again, thanks to you CCers, I found the Simple Pleasures jam shop in Sitka and am eagerly awaiting a box of goodies they are shipping!

The only negative was the only HAL shore excursion I took in Victoria. It was the evening Orca Whale Watch and we did not see any whales, seals, nothing! That is certainly not HAL's fault, you take your chances on any tour. What upset me was the company they contracted with for the tour. The boat and the 2 crew members were ill equipped to handle this excursion, particularly for those having just the slightest mobility problem. There were a number of people that had a horrible time getting into and out of the boat, really touch and go. I did put this on my comment card that I turned in.

GLACIER BAY - What can I say??!! I'd never been to Glacier Bay and it was wonderful. I also enjoyed all the talks by travel agent Spencer, Ranger Elizabeth, Kevin the Tklinget native about the glaciers, wildlife, whales, and life in Alaska. The weather was beautiful, the glaciers were beautiful, the scenery was beautiful. I spent so much time going between the bow and my verandah, with stops at the bar for Glacier Drops, I almost forgot to eat - that's not true!! ;)

SHOWS - I must admit, when in Alaska, I'm a cabin rat when I'm not off exploring or eating because I'm usually tired at the end of the day. And I love sitting on my verandah watching the scenery, the sunsets, and looking for whales. I did see part of Joel's show and he was great. Julie Barr was on my whale watching tour and she is a delightful, funny, and fantastic lady. Next time, I'll catch her.

SHIP - the ship was well maintained, very well appointed and reminded me a little of the old "ocean liner" ships of the past. I hate those huge "floating cities"!

PASSENGERS - I want to end with my very favorite, most important comment. The passengers on HAL were so nice, kind, friendly, had a sense of humor, were having a great time. I felt "at home" the very first day. I don't want to be critical or make comparisons between HAL and my previous cruise line because there are things I love about each of them and things I think could be improved on each of them. That being said, I found the passengers on my past cruises to be somewhat standoffish, rude and not very friendly. There was a distinct difference in the HAL passengers, I didn't feel at all apprehensive but much more relaxed and at home.

You HAL passengers are the best and I will, for sure, be cruising again on another DAM ship!! :D

Thanks, Sue

Thanks for your review, Sue!

If and when I ever get around to writing one, it would pretty much resemble yours.

It was great to meet you, glad you enjoyed your cruise, and hope you enjoy your next one. :)

Very nice review. I liked your reference to "cabin rat". I'm guilty, as well. How good is that and how fortunate are we, really? I mean, seriously. I've seen some dire circumstances, as I am sure we could all attest to, and well, life has been good to us.:)

Thanks for you review! We have just made our final payment for the Westerdam in September and it's great to hear good comments. :D

I too am a 'Cabin rat' at times and really expect to be on this cruise and we have seen Alaska before several times and a really in need of just putting our feet up and watching Alaska float by! :cool:

Thank you for your report. We will be on the Westerdam in Sept., can't wait to be back on her again. Your shore excursions sounded wonderful. We cannot do those because of certain minor disablilites but we love to lay back and enjoy watching what's going on outside. We do walk around the towns and love finding bargins. When we get too tired we come back on ship. Your report sounds like the Westerdam we knew last June and yes the beds are the most comfortable. Now I can't wait for Sept., the next 2 1/2 mos. will crawl. Thanks again. Barb:)

Could you please be specific about your experiences with the evening Orca Whale Watching excursion.

I am booked for this excursion in July and I have back and knee issues. I understand that you are never assured of seeing whales or other widlife but please go into more detail about the type of boat and the crew and the whole experience.

Thank you,

Fred

Sue, Welcome Home :) It certainly was a wonderful week. It could not have possibly been any better weather wise (except a bit warmer in Victoria ;))

I totally agree with you about everything. Even that Orca Tour in Victoria while we did not take it this year, we took it last year in June when we were on the Amsterdam and we too saw absolutely nothing :( Although last year they were telling the passengers that if they came back to Victoria they could do the tour again for free. I had even spoke to one of the firls working it and told her we cruise every year and we would see her next year for our free excursion. W4ell when I tried to contact them about it last year first they denied that they offered that then they came back and offered the free tour on a day when cruise ships were not in port :eek:DUH!!! that would be the only time we would be there. So obviously I did not bother to contact them back. I have to admit they are probably the only HAL excursion company I did not like. I am glad you had a good excursion with Capt Larry we did NOT a few years ago and will always go back to Allen Marine Tours that HAL uses. The viewing is so much better with windows that are perfectly clear and great for capturing pictures thru.

You know I have to agree with you about the food 100% again, it was wonderful in the Vista Dining Room but I agree the the desserts and breads need improvement. Several years ago the breads were so much better with different varieties every evening, heck they use to even list the bread selections on the menu. One of my favorites was the Sun Dried Tomato I have not seen that in a long time :(

We too tend to be cabin rats although this cruise because the evening entertainmentwas good and all over the ship we did not always go back to our cabin.

I am glad to hear this will not be your last HAL cruise, they do tend to get a bit addictive :o

Could you please be specific about your experiences with the evening Orca Whale Watching excursion.

I am booked for this excursion in July and I have back and knee issues. I understand that you are never assured of seeing whales or other widlife but please go into more detail about the type of boat and the crew and the whole experience.

Thank you,

Fred

Hi Fred, it was a catamaran type boat holding about 60 people, I'm guessing. There was a covered cabin area that held maybe 25 people and there was a back (aft) open area with seats where I was sitting because you had better views. Also a top area with seats and a cover holding more people. The ladder to the top area was very small, and close to the boat and you kind of had to scale it like a mountain goat. :eek: The two crew members were young, small girls who couldn't lift too much. The biggest problem was getting into and out of the boat. It was pulled up to a concrete dock area and the dock was a good 2 to 3 feet higher than the boat. One of the ladies had just had back surgery, although she was sitting out in the open back area with me and walked just fine. But she couldn't make it up that steep rise from the boat across a few inches of water to the dock. The 2 girls were trying too push/pull her and finally other passengers stepped up and gave her a boost. There was another woman with a hip problem and a cane and several others I noticed that had to be boosted up with help from passengers. These were not people with noticeable issues and I felt really bad for them. If this would be a problem for your knees, you might want to cancel and try another trip. A woman on my tour told me they had done the city tour of Victoria last time and enjoyed it very much. I'll be taking that one next time! :D Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise in July!

Sue

Thanks for your great review, Sue. Yours, along with Lisa's "live from" reporting is really appreciated, especially by those of us that will be taking the same cruise. I'm going on the last one of the season and I hope it's as good as the early cruises. I'm a "cabin rat" too. I love that term. It so applies to me. I love the veranda and I agree about the beds. They are heaven. The way Lisa described the shows, I hope to see some of them, but I have late seating dinner and usually after dinner I take in the classical music with a good scotch and then to bed. So glad you enjoyed the cruise. I'm anxious to get back to a Vista Class ship.

Could you tell me where the store Simple Pleasures is located in Sitka?

Here is their website:

http://www.simplepleasuresak.com/

Easy to find, on Harbor Drive. Their stuff is wonderful, try the Rhuberry jam...mmmm. Also, nearby is the WinterSong shop, I loved the stuff in there, and there are free soap samples! Sitka was my favorite port stop.

Thanks for your review, Sue. Just one thing, surely you couldn't have been referring to those divine morning pastries when you said you didn't like the pastries. Maybe you meant the desserts. If that is the case then I agree with you. They used to be much better.

Could you tell me where the store Simple Pleasures is located in Sitka?

I just saw that Dandro replied with the website but when you get off the ship, turn right and it's one of the first shops on the right hand side of the street heading into town, a yellow building.

Dandro, I loved the Salmonberry Jam along with the Rhuberry and some kind of vinegreitte (sp) that I bought. :) I agree, Sitka was my favorite stop.

Sue

Thanks for your review, Sue. Just one thing, surely you couldn't have been referring to those divine morning pastries when you said you didn't like the pastries. Maybe you meant the desserts. If that is the case then I agree with you. They used to be much better.

You're right, those divine morning pastries were divine, I ate enough of them! ;) I shouldn't have lumped them into the bread and desserts category.

Sue

Thanks for the honest open review!! Room rat is a great term and I tend to be one also. I enjoy my balconey so much I have eaten breakfast out on the coldest of days in Alaska.

That is so funny, I've done the same thing! :) And this past trip, while beautiful during the day, was cold in the evening, particularly when the ship was sailing. I found the wool plaid blankets in my cabin and bundled up every evening to sit on my balconey and sip wine or other libations!!:D

Sue

Thanks for your great review, Sue. Yours, along with Lisa's "live from" reporting is really appreciated, especially by those of us that will be taking the same cruise. I'm going on the last one of the season and I hope it's as good as the early cruises. I'm a "cabin rat" too. I love that term. It so applies to me. I love the veranda and I agree about the beds. They are heaven. The way Lisa described the shows, I hope to see some of them, but I have late seating dinner and usually after dinner I take in the classical music with a good scotch and then to bed. So glad you enjoyed the cruise. I'm anxious to get back to a Vista Class ship.

Thanks David, you'll love the cruise and I've been on one to Alaska in Sept. and the weather was good, a little colder, but not rain every day. You'll see beautiful foliage in the fall. I guess because I travel solo, I'm addicted to my veranda. I only saw part of one of Joel's shows this time (he was great) but I enjoyed Ian Cooney, the guitarist, and the string quartet very much. I usually try to at least stop in one of the bars and have a nice drink and listen to some music before I retire to my "cabin rat" evening. :) I save my good scotch for the verandah!!;) I hated scotch until a few years ago when my dearly departed father "hooked" me on single malt, what a difference!!:D Have a wonderful cruise!

Sue

Is Joel the "Elton John" guy? Will he be on the Westerdam all summer? Hope so. Heard alot of great reviews.

Yes, Joel is the Elton John guy and is terrific. I am assuming he will be on the Westerdam all summer but maybe someone more familiar with the Westerdam can answer that.

Sue

Is Joel the "Elton John" guy? Will he be on the Westerdam all summer? Hope so. Heard alot of great reviews.

Yes, I do believe that Joel Mason will be performing on the Westerdam thru the Alaska season this year. Although that is not to say he may have a week off here or there for another engagement.

Archived