Bloating while cruising? Help, please.

mathlady

Hello, all. I have probably waited too long to get advice on this, since I cruise in less than two weeks. I have only just joined this site.

I do low carb as a way of life. I am normal weight, 50 years old, female. I did low fat for many years before, but started gaining, and switched to low carb with good results. I eat no grains or potatoes (except a few bites on special occasions) and no sugar.

I love to cruise, but each time I cruise, I quickly bloat up. On cruises I still am careful about what I eat, but I allow myself a few treats. On the last cruise I gained 12 pounds. I looked pregnant, and I was unable to wear most of the clothes that I brought. I was able to drop it in a few days after returning (with some effort, of course), so I gess it was water weight. Does this happen to any of you, and do you have any suggestions? Probably the food on the cruise is higher salt than I usually eat, but that can't be avoided unless I don't eat much. Part of the fun of cruising is eating!

It is hard to even plan clothing, because I gain so much weight. Do any of you have this experience? Thanks in advance.

Are you sure that you don't have a medical condition that causes excessive bloating? I could understand if you were gorging yourself, but it doesn't sound like you are since you said you only allow yourself a few treats. While the cruise food might have a higher salt content, I wouldn't guess that it would cause that much bloating. Do you eat a few big meals? Perhaps try to eat several small meals - like 6-8. If you eat food that you're not used to eating, too, that might be an adverse reaction. Make sure to drink plenty of water so your body doesn't feel the need to retain water (I'm sure you already know this). Take clothing w/elastic waist bands, of course. Exercise might help, too.

I have the same thing happen to me, the last time we cruised half of my clothes did not fit... I was up 15# in just a few days.

It was not from eating too much or not exercising. I walked each morning and we had very active days

I stay on a low carb diet (mostly) I have limited carbs in the morning and at noon ... none in the evening. I am diabetic (pill form only), and have a choelesterol and blood pressure problems ... I know how to eat correctly.

I really think it has something to do with the water ... Its very bothersome. When we came back I even had my thyroid checked .... I was back down within a week. I have no clue why. Jan

Archived