What is it like traveling with twin 15 month old girls?

sblahars

I have twin boys. I do not think that it would have been an enjoyable vacation for any of us if they had cruised at that age, for several reasons: 1) they cannot get in the pools to cool off, and it can be so extremely hot; 2) the rooms are hardly big enough for them to run around and "blow off steam"; 3) excursions could be difficult at this age (i.e., no car seats on buses/taxis, not able to be on your own schedule); 4) all of the extra "stuff" needed for two kids that age; 5) when they nap, someone has to stay in the room with them - when they go to bed (and mine did quite early at that age) someone has to stay in the room with them. These are just the reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

If grandparents are with you and willing to help, then that's great - but I would feel guilty asking my parents or in-laws to sit in a room and babysit on their vacation (unless you're paying).

Sorry but no one will want to sit next to them in the dining room.

Don't know about that .... my girls would have sat just fine in the dining room at that age .... they were very use to going out for dinner and never a problem.... I was usually complimented on their behavior.... on the rare occasion one was having a bad moment I would walk out and come back... even their rare moments were not screaming fits.... I waitress for a living my girls knew what sitting in a restaurant was and what acceptable behavior was.... it's all in how they are taught and what they are use too...

So they're what - three months old now? Right now they stay where you put them. Wait about 6-8 months, when they are crawling, trying to walk, and you can't watch both of them because you don't have eyes in the back of your head. Then see if you would even consider doing this.

DH and I took our first cruise when our girls were 3 & 6 - and they did NOT go with us. This was a trip for adults, and we relaxed and had a great time. We've taken several more since then, usually without them. At the end of the cruise, it is always amusing to see the parents with little kids along, and compare them to the adults without little kids. Those with look as if they have been beaten repeatedly. The ones without - smiling and relaxed.

Before I get flamed, I just took a cruise with my DDs - now 12 & 15, and we are taking a family cruise in a few weeks. Yes, they love it, and they are very much looking forward to this one. But I also feel that it is important for mom & dad to get a little time away from kids on occasion.

Seriously, wait a few months and see if you would still consider it. All kids are different. Yours may be very calm, low-maintenance, and easy to deal with in a small room with very few toys. Or they may not. At this point, you have no idea.

I'm glad you wren't my Daddy!:confused:

Yes, as infants and toddlers, they would be left with Grandma while the parents went off and RELAXED. The boys [2] didn't even know we were gone.

What horrible parents we were!

Once they were old enough to understand and appreciate where they were and what was around them. They have been to CANADA, MEXICO, ENGLAND, IRELAND SCOTLAND, GERMANY FRANCE, SPAIN, SWITZERLAND, ITALY, LUXEMBOURG, TURKEY, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA, HONG KONG, SINGAPORE, BALI, PHILIPPINES, ALASKA, and HAWAII, all over the Caribbean and all over the US. Young Dan speaks pretty fair SPANISH and decent JAPANESE. Sadly we lost my other son to a drunk driver 6 years ago.

So they came thru my abuse fairly well!

Hello,

We are considering going on a cruise next summer with our twin girls. They'll be 15 months old at the time. Most likely, one or both sets of grandparents will be going also, so there will be help.

What is it like to cruise with kids that young?

It takes way more guts than we would have!

Plan on making EVERYTHING that they might possibly need and then doubling it. It is not like a land based vacation where you can run out an buy more diapers or milk or whatever. If you don't take it with you, including any possible meds, you are not going to have it.

People are going to tell you how they did it, and how easy, etc. IMO it is not easy and even with grandparents along it is not by any stretch of the imagination going to be a vacation for mom.

My advice (FWIW) take a land based vacation next year and wait an extra year for the cruise.

I'm glad you wren't my Daddy!:confused:

Why? That is some of the best advice I have ever heard. If more of the me generation understood it life would be better for all of us in the USA.

Archived