Disney vs RCCL? for a 4 and 7 year old

Liss68

DH and I have cruised twice on RCCL - for our honeymoon and our 30th birthday celebration.

We started talking about doing a Disney cruise in '06 but I was just blown away with the price of a land/sea package (almost $10,000 not including airfare for a 3 night land / 4 night sea package). That shocked me a bit since we know how much more you need for souveniers, photos, beverages, etc. This is only my first peek at package pricing so I have no other numbers to compare to.

We are already sold on RCCL and the only other cruise line we would consider is Disney. I love Disney but if we'd get a better value for our money on RCCL, I'm all for it. We can do a WDW land vacation another time. (DH works for Marriott so we'd pay employee rates off-site and save a tons of money).

I've read a lots of one line reviews for the Disney ships and several times RCCL was mentioned as a better value for families.

Thanks!

We've never cruised Disney... to much $$$$$$$.... :eek: We took our boys (8 and 10) on RCCL and they loved it. We were on Brilliance of the Seas.... they never ran out of things to do and had so much fun they were planning our next cruise before we left the port to go home. I have heard that the Voyager Class ships are great for kids as well. I don't think you (or your kids) would be disappointed with RCCL. Good luck and have fun!

Our kids are 5 and 7. They loved their cruise on the Rhapsody Of The Seas this past January.They did really fun stuff in the kids area like helping to build a volcano and then making it explode. They also made their own rubber balls, got their faces painted like a pirate and went on a treasure hunt, and had slumber parties with pizza and ice cream.:)

Another thing that RCI does that my kids really like is getting the ocean adventure dollars to spend at the end of the cruise. Every time you drop your child off at the kids area, you are given one ocean adventure dollar per kid. If your family wins any of the family scavenger hunts, you get more dollars. These dollars add up and at the end of the cruise the kids get to spend these dollars. My kids got t-shirts and stuffed toys. There's lots of stuffed animals, t-shirts, ball caps, and toys to choose from.:D

We choose to not cruise on Disney because of the high prices, plus there aren't as many adult things to do for mom and dad. On RCI, there's plenty for both the kids and the parents to do. And all of that money you save can be used for neat family excursions, souvenirs, and other extras that the whole family can benefit from.;)

I know what you mean, we love Disneyworld. My 7 yr old has been 3x and the 3 yr old twice. But, when we started planning for our first cruise the Disney Cruise prices were much too high. After reading this board for awhile and talking to my TA we chose Royal and are booked in March onboard the Explorer.

Maybe buying a package deal is not the way to go- I know that buying airfare through the cruise lines is more then double what i can find for myself- same goes for a hotel. Over 200pp for a hotel room seems to be a bit much as you can do hotels using priceline for 50 bucks.

I do know that Disney cruiseline is more money compared to RCCL and Carnival. (especially for summer sailings.)

DCL is wonderful. We just went on the 7-day Halloween cruise. We have yet to sail RCCL, so can't compare the two. LOTS of good info on disboards.com. You will save a lot of money not buying the land/sea package. You can do it on your own and saave many $'s. For quick Disney comparison shopping, check out allseastravel.com

Good luck!

I have done both with my then 6yo, and he enjoyed both equally. We did DCL first and he fell in love with cruising. We next did RCI Mariner and all he kept saying while we were in Pt. Canaveral next to the DCL ship was that he would rather be on that one. By day 2, he forgot all about DCL. Even now, I asked which he would rather do for our winter vacation, cruise or Disney and he picked cruise. DCL is really nice, but overpriced. Your kids will have a great time on RCI.

If you DH works for Marriott, then I would not do a package. Price the cruise only separate and add the pieces. DO NOT take the Disney transfers. They are $99pp and a rip off. You can get a stretch limo for $99 each way and that cuts transfers for 4 in half right there.

We were just on Mariner Dec 5 and they did not do the "Adventure Dollars" thing, but my kids did get a free AO lanyard, bandana, and pillowcase. DD also got a cd holder type thing for winning a game. They LOVED Adventure Ocean and can't imagine a better kids program.

Kim

I would say take the money you save by not cruising Disney and take a cruise AND a trip to WDW. I love Disney, but my kids were in their teens and the Disney Cruise Line prices were just too high for us. So, we took a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Inspiration out of Tampa (this itinerary has been taken over by a bigger ship now) and then, post-cruise, rented a car and went to WDW for a week. OK, in the end, we did spend more than just the Disney cruise, but we had a 2 week vacation, versus 1 week if we had done the land/sea Disney. For Disney discounts, go to www.mousesavers.com. We were able to stay at an on-site moderate hotel.....something I thought would be out of our price range.......with a discount code I found on that site. Have fun planning your vacation.

Hi There

I did the Disney Wonder 3 nights in Sept. I am a disney fanatic, been there 22 times, my DD is 7 and has been there 9 times. ( We are from Canada ) The DCL was my first cruise, I just booked a carnival cruise becasue of the kids program I think will out beat DCL.

Here is a copy of what I posted on another sitre right after my trip.

And remember I am a DIsney Fanatic.... Also book the land /sea package separately... I did and saved a bundle...

Our first disney cruise went like this.

On a disney cruise a week ago, the wonder from the 16th -19th I feel I rec'd the worst service ever....

After checking in I went to guest services to ask for a birthday button formy daughters b-day on the 17th. I was told I would get it from my server at dinner that night. I also asked if I could get a birthday card signed by the princesses that I had brought with me.

When we got to our room there was 2 b-day packages from my neice for my DD. I knew immediately she would not have sent towo of the same. That evening during the turn down service I was asked to sign for them. Then was told that one was a mistake and could I please give it back.... UGH I don't think so... I am not taking it away from my daughter... I was then left a message asking to stop by guest services, and then explained to, once I got there that they wanted me to pay the 40.00 for the mistake they made. I said if you want it back you explain it to my daughter, not me.

Then on her birthday we ate at Triton's and I asked the server for the button, since she did not give it to her and we were about to eat dinner. Dinner came and went, we ordered dessert and once again asked about the cake and the button. Well dessert came and went and I asked again about the cake and button. Now I am becoming a nag....

Can you imagine my face as we are about to get up from the table at 10:20 pm with a 7yr old and they bring out the cake. As they are singing happy birthday, the head server ( Prakesh ) comes over as I am video taping and says to hurry they have another table to sing happy birthday to.

This was our second night on this ship and only the assistant server Chat( was his name ) paid any attention to us.

Then on our last night we arrived back to our room to find that they had FINALLY slipped the

b-day card under the door that I had asked to be signed.

When it came time for the tipping, it nearly killed me to give any of these people except Chat a dime. I gave the minimum suggested and only for my husband and I. I felt they totally screwed up any sort of celebration for my daughter.

Our server ( Jacquie ) also mention 3 times that the wonder was going into dry dock in Virginia in a couple of weeks and how Disney was going to make them work like dogs with the reno....

I was not impressed with the Disney service that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I will do another Disney Cruise, when ? I don't know. You will get mixed reviews I am sure. But when to comes to $ and sense... Your gut will tell you which way to go...

Enjoy it either way

We did both last year. Our kids preferred RCCL. They were 4 and 6 at the time. they thought the kids club was too crowded, got more personal attention in the RCCL club and liked the variety of activities better. As adults,we liked the food/service on RCCL better. Also there were nearly 1000 kids on the Disney Magic,which automatically changes the ambience of the ship.

Having done both, the extra cost of DCL is not justified IMHO.

Take th emoney you save and plan a trip tp WDW with it. I do love WDW.

• 2 weeks later...

We did DCL last May. I think all the people who rave about DCL never cruised B4. It's just hype and the Disney name. If you compare you will find the service on Disney only OK and the food average. The lines are long to see the characters so muchthat you don't wait. The kids club was horrible my 4 & 6 yo never went back after the first night. Even the passengers stayed in their own little groups not at all sociable like on other cruises. The best part were the shows. They were great. We've sailed NCL, HAL and Carnival before we had children and and thought Disney would be for us. After last year, we booked RCCL AOS for this April instead. If you're really set on Disney try to book at least a year out for the better rate. We sailed with people that paid more than double what we paid bu booking in the last 6 months.

Our kids had cruised on RCCL two times before doing Disney. They love both! They chose the 7 day Disney over a combination land & sea. As adults we also had a great time on Disney, just as we do on RCCL, but we are not big gamblers.

We were able to go on Disney in early November when the girls had a break from school and would only miss 2 days. In November it was comparable to what we pay at spring break time on RCCL. My youngest, who is now nine wanted us to do Disney at spring break this year, but it was more than double what we are paying on RCCL.

I think your kids will love either one or both. Do what you're comfortable with and everyone will have a great time.

I have a 10 year old son. We have done the Disney Land/Sea combo twice, and the 4 night cruise once. My son did not like the kids club on Disney (age then 5,8 abd 9) and never went. He was with us all the time. He didn't enjoy the characters. We did like the ports and Disney's private beach. It was very expensive. We are sailing on the Mariner in March and the 7 night is cheaper than any Disney trip we have taken. I also like the fact that the Mariner has the rock climbing wall, minature golf, ice skating. I have read wonderful things about the kids club and am hoping my son will enjoy it and take advantage of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Look around for deals. Lately Disney has been offering good deals during off peak times. Try places like SAM's club, AAA, etc also.

We're Disney fans and enjoyed our Disney Cruise. We didn't use the kids clubs or babysitting services. Shows are great and the run the first line Disney, Pixar, MGM movies in the theater. I also like Castaway Cay.:)

At 5 yo, my daughter loved the DCL cruise, but HATED the kids club. At 7 she LOVED RCCL, AND the kids club. She's a major Disney fan, but due to the cost, last year I booked Mariner of the Seas - I was SO afraid it would stack up against DCL... we both came away saying it was SO much better. She would wake up each morning asking what time she could go to the club. When it came to booking this years cruise, hands down... Mariner.

Now, what I do to get her Disney fix - we stay at Disney World for 3 nights prior to the cruise. We get ALL worn out by the parks, and have a week at sea to recover!

• 1 year later...

We've never cruised RCCI but have done Disney, NCL and Carnival. If you're fans of Disney, I'd recommend it. The kid's club was wonderful. Only time we've been ready to crash for the night, but had to stay up till 8yo was ready to come back to the cabin! Disney IS more expensive if you're travelling during peak times - but much better if you can take your children out of school. Daughter says her best day of vacation EVER was when we were at Castaway Cay (Disney private island) Another thing to consider is kid/counselor ratio (Disney was best of all our cruises), and cabin size - basic Disney cabin is 214 sq. ft. w/ 1.5 bathrooms and tub. One reason we've never cruised on RCCI is that their cabins are SO SMALL. Also had a room separator so each had a little privacy. We leave in a few weeks for Carnival Liberty - but will definitely take another Disney Cruise! Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

There's always going to be positives and negatives...just remember this.

On a Disney ship, you will probably never see a drunk, a gambler (there's no gambling on their ships), an "older" cruiser complaining about all the kids, and a young partier looking for the next kegger. Its not a big ship by current standards, but even those types can't hide.

Disney caters to families and there is a wonderment that only kids can truly enjoy on their ships. We, as parents, enjoy it through them. Our kids have had a blast but they have outgrown it -- so we're now going RCCL. But, watching my daughter at the Princess and Pirates Dance, or dancing with Mickey, and so forth...that's a precious moment.

There's a class of people that sail on Disney that is probably unlike any other cruise line because of the unique folks that want that type of a cruise. It really does "filter" out some of the detractors you find on other ships. Those people have a right to cruise...don't get me wrong. I would just rather my kids didn't have to interact with them, and on a disney cruise...they never have.

Hope that helps...and no, I don't work for Disney. I wish...:rolleyes:

There's always going to be positives and negatives...just remember this.

On a Disney ship, you will probably never see a drunk, a gambler (there's no gambling on their ships), an "older" cruiser complaining about all the kids, and a young partier looking for the next kegger. Its not a big ship by current standards, but even those types can't hide.

Disney caters to families and there is a wonderment that only kids can truly enjoy on their ships. We, as parents, enjoy it through them. Our kids have had a blast but they have outgrown it -- so we're now going RCCL. But, watching my daughter at the Princess and Pirates Dance, or dancing with Mickey, and so forth...that's a precious moment.

There's a class of people that sail on Disney that is probably unlike any other cruise line because of the unique folks that want that type of a cruise. It really does "filter" out some of the detractors you find on other ships. Those people have a right to cruise...don't get me wrong. I would just rather my kids didn't have to interact with them, and on a disney cruise...they never have.

Hope that helps...and no, I don't work for Disney. I wish...:rolleyes:

Did you notice this was posted 3 years ago. I bet they made their decision already. lol :p :D

Archived