Exit Glacier Guides in Seward

galipemi

Has anyone used this company for the hike in Seward? Their price seems extremely reasonable for a 5 hr hike, including a portion on Exit Glacier itself. It looks amazing but there are relatively few reviews online about them so I'm hoping someone on these boards has some experience with them.

Also, and this is completely random, is the Gold Star service upgrade worth it on AKRR??

Has anyone used this company for the hike in Seward? Their price seems extremely reasonable for a 5 hr hike, including a portion on Exit Glacier itself. It looks amazing but there are relatively few reviews online about them so I'm hoping someone on these boards has some experience with them.

Also, and this is completely random, is the Gold Star service upgrade worth it on AKRR??

Regarding Gold Star srvice on the AKRR, we just experience this on May 27th. Some people might tell you it is not worth it, some will say it is. For us, we enjoyed it very much. We have taken the AKRR about 4x and each time in coach class. It was nice to sit up high and get a different perspective for the entire trip.

With Gold Star you check in and are presented your tickets in a leather folder, given a souvineer pin, taken to the train by a bus (very short ride), have your own dome car, complimentary soft drinks and coffee are served, there is a private viewing area, and you are given priority for the dining car. If this sounds like something you might enjoy, then go for it. We enjoyed it so much we will definitely do it again.

Here's an article on the hike and EGG. A very kind person on TripAdvisor.com gave me the link. The pictures sold me! My family of 4 is going on July 3 and can't wait. If you search the forum on TripAdvisor.com you can locate people that have been. I exchanged messages with some kind person who gave me more insight on what to expect. Hope it's helpful!

Can't wait to hear your review! Thanks to all the nice people on these boards!!

http://intravelmag.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=10023&limit=1&limitstart=0

Have a safe trip!

I've hiked Exit plenty, but have reached the age and level of unfittness where I don't think I will do it again. There are some slippery places and of course the beats.

Although you don't NEED a guide, having one is certainly a good idea if you lack experience in such things.

We are going with Exit Glacier Guides in about a week and a half. I plan to post a review when we get back and will let you know how they are.

Oh, that would be fantastic, thanks cbowler!

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've decided to book the Gold Star train. What the heck, worst that happens is I'm broke by the time I book everything I want to do:D

As for Exit, I still want to go and think having the guides take me right out onto the ice surface is absolutely worth the pain I will inevitably feel when I'm done:p

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've decided to book the Gold Star train. What the heck, worst that happens is I'm broke by the time I book everything I want to do:D

:p

Good for you - hope you enjoy your experience as much as we did.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi cbowler,

If I've done my math right, you're now back from Alaska. I'm wondering how your trip was overall and hoping you might be able to give me an overview of the trip with Exit Glacier Guides.

Thanks!

Hi Galipemi - Yes we are back! I am still currently writing my trip report (it's turning out to be quite long!!!) but I've been thinking about you and how I had promised info about this tour.

Ok - here's the scoop: I have a love/hate relationship with this tour. The company, Exit Glacier Guides is a fantastic company. Their guides absolutely love what they do and were so great. We had 9 hikers on our trip and 2 guides.

Here's the hate part: the hike. I thought I was going to die. :) A little about me - I'm a 32 year old woman with 2 little kids. I'm not overweight but do not work out on a regular basis other than chasing after the 2 kids all day. I don't consider myself in great shape but not really out of shape either. Perhaps I should change that thinking and now consider myself out of shape! :) We started up the mountain at 10am. The hike up to the glacier was about 2 hrs and 15 minutes, all up hill, and pretty steep. Much more uphill time and much steeper than I had anticipated. It just kept going up and up and up... I think they said the vertical was 1500 feet. Anyways, there were 9 people: 4 guys from India who seemed to have no problem at all, 2 other girls who were a little slower, my father in law and husband who were tired but fine, and me. I was definitely the slowest person. After you get up the mountain, you have to go down the rock scree. Obviously my interpretation of what this is was so far off. It is not a short little thing, but a couple of hundred feet, and somewhat technical at times. A little freaky to me but everyone did fine. At this point you get to the glacier. We got there at 12:15.

Here's the love part: the glacier! trekking on the glacier was one of the most amazing things I've ever done. Truly an exceptional thing to do. Trekking is still work and I was still working hard, let me tell you. We started trekking about 12:30 and were on the glacier for an hour, until 1:30. The crampons are very cool and make it so easy to get around on the glacier. We got to see some amazing, natural things and some of the coolest shades of blue you can imagine. We trekked on a ridge between 2 crevasses (totally safe!) and it was just awesome.

Back to the hate part. We got off the glacier at 1:30, had a 15 minute break to get the crampons off and eat the snack. Then we had to go back UP the rock scree and back DOWN the mountain. The hike down took 1 hr and 20 minutes. I have a bum knee and the descent was just as bad as the way up for me!

Other notes: the backpack they give you has a water pack system with 2 liters of water, your crampons, a snack, and whatever clothing you bring or take off during the hike. So, the backpack is not light. My dear husband, bless his heart, ended up carrying my backpack about half way up. Had he not, I for sure would not have made it up. I was very close to quitting but am so thankful that I did not.

I wore a long sleeve shirt and pants on the way up and also had a fleece vest and jacket. I wish I had just done a short sleeve shirt plus one more layer. It was so hot on the way up and quite cold and very windy on the glacier.

So, am I glad I did it? Absolutely yes! Would I do it again? Maybe. Next time I think I'd opt to do a helicopter with glacier trek and let the helicopter take me to the glacier. :)

You will feel pain afterwards (and during!) but is it worth it - I say yes.

Feel free to ask me other questions. I hope to get my full trip report done sometime soon.

Archived