Came into small money -now which excursion should it go to?

Nutbunch

So I got a small bonus, but it might be just enough to fund an excursion on our Alaskan trip. (forget the credit card payoff idea :D)

So here's the list what it could cover. If it were you, which would you choose if it could be only 1 of the following:

Juneau

Evening whale watching Quest (leaves at 5PM pleanty of light)

Sitka

Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest

Ketchikan

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour

Misty Fjords by Floatplane

Traveling party includes 2 youngish seniors (60's) Us (40s) and 2 kids (teens).

All of them sound interesting. We are only in Ketchikan for 6 hours which leaves 4 hours between getting off and back on in time.

Please help! I like all so will go with what you all who've been on them can recommend.

You all have to go together??? I suggest EACH pick out what they want, then do it. This group is certainly NOT going to have the same interests.

The teens have to go with us as they are young 13 & 15 and aren't all that happy being apart from us (shy).

The seniors could go do something on their own. They are active, but would find it easier being around my DH as he can translate. English is a second language for them and they do not use it all that often and aren't fluent. They are very accommodating and would love to see something with us.

I did all these things last week on our cruise except Sitka (our ship didn't go there). The small boat Whale Watch in Juneau was my favorite of these. My very favorite excursion was a Renown boat tour of the Kenai Fjords National Park. It was awesome! We saw a pod of Orcas, sea otters, seals, puffins, lots of birds and beautiful scenery and a huge glacier calving that made a very large wave.

What is most important to you, beautiful scenery or wildlife?

I recommend trying to find a private whale watching trip in Juneau. There are several companies that have been recommended on these boards. I went with Harv and Marv and they were excellent.

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/

If you love beautiful scenery, a private floatplane in Ketchikan is incredible. We went with Alaska Sea Plane tours and they were excellent. Sometimes, you get an extra bonus and see wildlife too.

http://www.alaskaseaplanetours.com/mistyfjords.htm

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't already have a water based excursion somewhere then I'd go on the whale watch out of Juneau or the crab boat. Misty is beautiful, but a short trip compared to some of the others. I'm thinking of what my own children would have enjoyed in their mid-teens.

I vote for Misty Fjords by flloatplane. Although all the scenery in Alaska is magnficent, this excursion gives you an eagles view of a very wide variety. I flew with Michelle of Island Wings and it was a wonderous trip that I'll never forget.

Diane

but the best excursion we have ever done in Alaska was a whale watch tour with Captain Davey on the Esther G in Sitka. His boat is small (6 passengers) and the tour is FANTASTIC. Captain Davey is very knowledgable about wildlife and Alaska and that made the tour really great.

Since there are six in your party you would have a "private" tour. See his website at www.puffinsandwhales.com We spent three hours with him and saw so much wildlife it was amazing. Even had a whale come within about 20 feeet of the boat and spout....awful smell, but awesome sight to be so close. Whatever you do you will have a fantastic time in this awesome state.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'm so glad you all have these amazing experiences you are willing to share.

So my family is a bunch of ...well.. unclear on the concept. My DH doesn't care for excursions and I'm thinking I'll have to drag him and our DD too off the ship in ports.

So this is what we'll do.

We have a rental car already and when we leave the ship, we'll get that and head to Mendenhall, walk to the waterfall take lots of pics. Depending on how long that is, we might get to Shrine of St Therese too.

However at 4:45, my Dh will drive the car to the airport and drop me and DS off at Coastal and us two will take a one hour helicopter ride with Glacier landing!! I am so excited and really hope the weather will cooperate!

Then DH will drive the others back to the rental car place turn it in and get a ride back to the pier, where I've instructed them to go up Mt roberts Tram. Coastal will also shuttle us back to the pier and we'll meet up with them at the bottom of the tram.

I'm sort of planning to hit Tracy's crab shack before boarding, but that might not go over since DH will point out we have foood on the ship. I'm prepared to lose that round.

The rest of the bonus money is now pegged to go to the auto-tips for our party, some drink orders and extra tips to room service and and cruise personnel that go above an beyond.

I'm just so excited that my son and I will get the chance to see a glacier from on top. I plan on taking 200 pictures.!

Thanks again for all your help!

We have a rental car already and when we leave the ship, we'll get that and head to

However at 4:45, my Dh will drive the car to the airport and drop me and DS off at Coastal and us two will take a one hour helicopter ride with Glacier landing!! I am so excited and really hope the weather will cooperate!

Then DH will drive the others back to the rental car place turn it in and get a ride back to the pier, where I've instructed them to go up Mt roberts Tram. Coastal will also shuttle us back to the pier and we'll meet up with them at the bottom of the tram.

QUOTE]

Hopefully you have rented from Rent A Wreck??? Also paying for a downtown drop would eliminate the "wasted" return of probably close to an hour.

my vote goes too whale watching and the floatplane. they are a must to have a fun and memorable trip in my opinion. i cant get enough of the whales and have only seen one tail on all 4 cruises i have been on. have a great time.

Although I would give the edge to a Sitka private charter, the coastal glacier heli landing was a real highlight for our family.

We personally found this flight to be more worthwhile than the Misty Fjord seaplane...Misty Fjords were very beautiful and we enjoyed the flight, but a glacier landing is an other-worldly experience. Enjoy!

Archived