Istanbul during Ramadan, will this disallow access to Mosques, etc.?

Ommadawn

I am sailing on the Solstice in September. Ramadan runs from late August until September 18th, I think. We will be in Instanbul during this Ramadan period. Will this restrict our access to Mosques and other Muslim sites? How will it affect our travel itineraries and/or dress? Is there anything else that I should look to do (which one can only do or see during this time frame)? Is there anything else that I need to know about Ramadan?

Thanks in advance for all of the information that you can give.

If you go to the Mediterranean Ports of Call board and search for Ramadan you will find quite a bit of information posted from those who have been during that time. I thought our cruise might be during that time but it was earlier this year so it will be over by the time that we sail.

It seems that it is really crowded and that there are a lot of street vendors, etc. They do not eat during daylight hours during Ramadan and it is considered rude to eat in public during that time. Restaurants are extremely crowded after dark as everyone rushes to eat so you might not be able to dine in a restaurant there at night.

If you go to the Mediterranean Ports of Call board and search for Ramadan you will find quite a bit of information posted from those who have been during that time. I thought our cruise might be during that time but it was earlier this year so it will be over by the time that we sail.

It seems that it is really crowded and that there are a lot of street vendors, etc. They do not eat during daylight hours during Ramadan and it is considered rude to eat in public during that time. Restaurants are extremely crowded after dark as everyone rushes to eat so you might not be able to dine in a restaurant there at night.

Thanks for the info. I looked in the Mediterranean section, but I'm unsure as to how to find the Ramadan stuff (since I didn't see any). Could you please link me a thread or two?

Thanks in advance. :) :) :)

Thanks a million. Those links were great. :) :) :)

I think that I must go to the Hippodrome on the night in dock. :) :) :)

Archived