What's it like to cruise in June?

lahoban

Hi, can all you cruisers out there tell me what it's like? Is it a good time to go or is it too hot and humid in the western carribean? What about the seas ,are they higher in June than March or April? I know it's the start of hurricane season so I'm just not sure. My husband might have to change his vacation from March to June for our cruise. Waiting for all your great advice.

Wow...we cruised this past June. The weather was FABULOUS...the ocean was calm and as still as a sheet of glass...absolutely lovely. During our 1 week cruise, we experienced about 1/2 hour of rain, one evening while in the dining room eating our dinner. We were treated to a a beautiful lightning display out the window. That was our rain for the week. I think we were coming into a rain storm while at sea at one point during the week...you could see the clouds getting thick. The Captain announced he was going to divert the ship a bit and within a few minutes, we were in bright sunshine! What a vacation, when you can move away from the rain!!!! Whoever doesn't like cruising must be insane.

Our only two cruises have been in June...both around the middle of the month. The first time we went it was hotter back here in Minnesota than it was in the Western Carribbean!! The weather was fabulous...only had rain one time on the first cruise (late at night when we were on the ship) and the other cruise we didn't have any rain.

Less than 4% of hurricanes happen in June.... you should be fine... there is of course always a chance, but it is slim (although they seem to be getting earlier each year?)... We cruised last year in July and had a fabulous time, not a hurricane in sight! good luck and have fun!

lahoban - what cruise are you thinking of taking? We have a cruise critic group sailing the Carnival Valor on 6/12/05 - Exotic Western Caribbean itinerary. We have great pricing and every cabin that books with our group gets a $150 shipboard credit. Just click on the link in my signature for all the juicy details, and feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. :D

We cruised the first part of June this past summer on the Conquest.....was fine. We did have one evening of being in a storm and rough waters; but it was kind of fun for a little change in the adventure and felt totally secure on that huge ship. I know, I know......my sense of adventure is weird....LOL!

I also have cruised in June. Our first cruise was a Western Caribbean in mid June of 2002. It was hot! But that's how it's supposed to be. It was a little cool and breezy out on deck at night. PERFECT!

We had some showers one afternoon out at sea, but other than that, the weather was perfect.

Our next cruise will be May 8th, on the Valor.

I dunno. Ive never sailed in June, but my last two cruises were mid May/west carib and mid April/east carib and both were friggin HOT! I mean it was HOT!!! In June, add to that a ton of kids sailing with you. I have nothing against kids, I have at least two that I know of and I love them very much, but I have heard horror stories about unruly mobs of juniors running rampant on summer cruises. If you are just going as a couple, without kids, I would try to go when the kids are in school. Much more peaceful.

June is a great time. If school is out there will be more kids on board if that is a factor for you. Some cruisers like to cruise when the kids are in school. Others don't mind at all one way or the other.

Bring LOTS of sunscreen. The weather is beautiful, but it's definitely hot. We cruised in June and had a wonderful experience. The seas were calm (some complained that it was more movement than normal but the only movement we felt was just enough to remind us that we weren't in a 5 star resort somewhere on land!) When we cruised, the weather was perfect. No rain, lots of sun and blue skies. The water at sea was just gorgeous.

It's very hot and humid and we are used to humidity here in Fl. When we were in Cozumel, the heat was just awful- I wanted to burn my clothes when we got back to the ship-even my underwear was soaked. Thank God we had a snorkel trip booked and I could cool off.

Also tons of kids---

So bottom line, no more June or July for us.

We are going on Carnival Miracle June 12th and our teens are going with us. I like teens so I think it will be great. Our last cruise was April in the southern Carib. and it was very hot but that's what summer is all about. I think you will have a great time if you keep an open mind. Have a blast!!!

We've done a few 1st-week-of-June cruises and found that the home port of the cruise and the location of the stops has a lot to do with the temps and number of kids on the cruise. One cruise was on the Victory out of New York up to Canada around June 1st - there were hardly any kids and most of the cruise was COLD (to us Texans anyway) - never got much warmer than 60 in New York and Canada. We took another cruise out of Galveston in early June and there were lots of kids on the cruise - Texas kids get out of school in late May and start back in mid-August. And, it was pretty warm in Cozumel (high 80s, low 90s). We did one W. Carib. cruise in late July and BOILED in Cozumel and there were lots and lots of kids on the ship and lots of ships in port.

Archived