RECENT Cruisers - Shorts in Dining Room

carla1183

Is it okay on casual nights?

I've read through a bunch of threads and have seen conflicting reports. If my husband wears khaki shorts and a polo shirt in the dining room on casual nights, will he be alone?

Obviously not on elegant nights, but for casual nights?

I don't want him to look silly, but I know he'd MUCH rather wear shorts, or even jeans than bring khakis. (It's not so much about the pants as it's about having to wear nicer shoes with khakis)

I've read through a bunch of threads and have seen conflicting reports. If my husband wears khaki shorts and a polo shirt in the dining room on casual nights, will he be alone?

I don't want him to look silly, but I know he'd MUCH rather wear shorts, or even jeans than bring khakis. (It's not so much about the pants as it's about having to wear nicer shoes with khakis)

He will not be alone. I wore khaki shorts and jeans with a polo shirt on all casual nights.

DH has worn nice shorts on casual nights on our last 3 cruises, the change has been in place more than a year. Here's the official word from Carnival's website :

What to Wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

This information is directly from the Carnival FAQs:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido restaurants.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Do with that as you will...

:)

My boyfriend wore shorts every casual night in the dining room. I even wore them one night. He/you will not feel out of place. The last night he even wore long jeans - as he was wearing them for the trip home. Nice shorts and a polo shirt will fit right in. I think more and more people are doing it.

I was a "shorty" myself - except for "Elegant night"... never a comment and did not feel like I was the only one... in fact saw many men dressed in them....

BTW why do we say dressed about men? Maybe it goes back to Scots?

Just wondering...

My boyfriend wore shorts every casual night in the dining room. I even wore them one night. He/you will not feel out of place. The last night he even wore long jeans - as he was wearing them for the trip home. Nice shorts and a polo shirt will fit right in. I think more and more people are doing it.

They kind of frown on it. (the Maitre D'). Is it so terrible to ask the men to wear pants at night and reserve shorts for daytime? It's just for a couple of hours. I believe they are trying to keep a sense of decorum in the dining room. My husband hates to get dressed, but for a couple of nights, he bites the bullet, is a gentleman, and wears pants.

They kind of frown on it. (the Maitre D'). Is it so terrible to ask the men to wear pants at night and reserve shorts for daytime? It's just for a couple of hours. I believe they are trying to keep a sense of decorum in the dining room. My husband hates to get dressed, but for a couple of nights, he bites the bullet, is a gentleman, and wears pants.

A clueless maitre d' perhaps:confused:

I never got this impression at all. Some nights it seemed like there were more shorts than long pants.

I looked up the definition of "Gentleman" in the dictionary and it did not even mention the length of one's pants.

They kind of frown on it. (the Maitre D').

I just got off a cruise on Saturday (Carnival Fascination). There is the dress code and then there is what actually went on, at least on this ship.

Shorts were everywhere in the dining room at dinner, someone who would wear shorts would not feel out of place. The Maitre D' was no where to be found and those in my party (I never wore shorts) who wore shorts were never given so much as a look, stare, or frown from anyone. Well, except from me, I told them they were not "suppose" to wear shorts but hey, I'm not the dress code enforcer. And, it doesn't ruin my experience when someone is in shorts so whatever.

On Elegant night I only saw a few suits and commented to my husband that if I had made him rent a tux he would have been totally out of place. It was the most lacked I've seen on any of my 9 cruises. There were shorts on Elegant night too, there was even a guy in shorts, tank top and baseball cap on Elegant night. It seems whatever anyone wanted to wear was fine.

Now, I like to dress in a sun dress but my husband wears pants but shorts would have totally been "in place".

They do NOT frown on it... far from it. YOU may frown on it but not the staff on casual nights... sorry but WRONG!

Guess you haven't read the Maitre D's face correctly....

I guess that's why they specify in their dress code about men wearing long pants on "casual night". I do not believe they have instituted a "slob night".

It also shows some respect for yourself and your fellow diners.....I know they've "Got Milk", but, "Got Respect" ?

I guess that's why they specify in their dress code about men wearing long pants on "casual night". I do not believe they have instituted a "slob night".

It also shows some respect for yourself and your fellow diners.....I know they've "Got Milk", but, "Got Respect" ?

They also specify shorts on casual nights.......

They do NOT frown on it... far from it. YOU may frown on it but not the staff on casual nights... sorry but WRONG!

They probably keep their opinions to themselves. Can't believe you wouldn't have enough respect for yourself and for others to adhere to a simple and not inconvenient dresscode.

Which cruise line were you on?

Archived