Taking a backpack on excursions - Alaska

Normally when our family travels, I am the designated backpack carrier. I carry stuff for us for being out all day, which includes things like camera, clothing layers, jackets, hats, etc.

Are these tyes of backpacks (which I am usually required to check at museums) allowed on excursions like helicopters, catamarans, float planes?

If not, how does everyone carry their stuff for the day???

Normally when our family travels, I am the designated backpack carrier. I carry stuff for us for being out all day, which includes things like camera, clothing layers, jackets, hats, etc.

Are these tyes of backpacks (which I am usually required to check at museums) allowed on excursions like helicopters, catamarans, float planes?

If not, how does everyone carry their stuff for the day???

Each of the excursions I did this week allowed me to bring my backpack:

Sitka: sea life discovery tour (semi-submerged boat)

Tracy Arm: Tracy Arm explorer

Skagway: Rock Climbing and Rapelling

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer (boat, not plane)

I recall when I did a helicopter-hike-rail trip in Skagway in '06 I could bring my backpack but I do not think I had access to it during the helicopter flight - it was in some storage area. I did not do any floatplanes or helicopters this trip.

We returned from the June 3rd sailing. The helicopter and dog sledding excursion in Skagaway did not allow for any backpacks. We have taken two helicopter excursions and both prohibited bags. However you can take your camera. The tour operators provided a locker during your excursion to lock up your bag. The seaplane and catamarans both allowed for bags. My wife carried a backpack with our raincoats while I carried the camera bag.

Just echoing montblanc2: no backpack, no camera bag, no pocketbook, no type of bag at all is allowed on the helicopters. You are allowed to cram whatever you want into your pants or jacket pockets (as long as it doesn't put you over the 250 pound limit!). But if you're out and about for the day with your backpack, they'll lock it up for you at the helicopter base -- most people are leaving some bag behind, and it's easy to do. I carry a hefty camera bag, and after removing my camera and stashing extra battery, memory card, and lens in my pockets, locked up my bag; my wife locked up the backpack she often carries. We had two layers of jackets (fleece and outer shell) with us because we thought the glacier might be cold; at the recommendation of the staff at the helicopter camp, we shed one layer and had them hold the other. (We were there on a warm day, so I'd still recommend taking layers with you in case you need them.)

There were no such limits for the Misty Fjords floatplane. And no limitations for any of the boat trips (evening whale watch in Juneau, sea otter quest in Sitka).

-- Eric

Archived