Melissa's Crazy Adventure on a Backward Cruise!

Ha ha! There's this small foyer type passenger space that on Solstice is all dark, tiled walls with trails of ants worked into the design. It sounds a bit strange, but it's actually quite striking and very cool.

OK, so what's the "ant" room, for those of us uninformed souls?

A few last pics before I head to bed. It's almost 1 a.m. (again? already?) and my ride is coming at 7 a.m. to take me to the airport.

This was a wild experience. I have sailed on some new ships but I've never walked into a cabin that smelled like fresh paint and new electronics. Sort of a marriage of Home Depot and Best Buy. To harken back to my initial post, yes, there was soap in my bathroom and no, I was not awoken by jackhammers. TV wasn't working yet though ;)

Funny story: Didn't realize the balcony dividers weren't yet set up so you can imagine my surprise upon just settling in to see a man in a yellow hard hat and blue Meyer Werft jumpsuit walk across mine randomly. Not something you see everyday!

I'll be in touch again once I'm settled back in New Jersey. My plane gets in just in time for the Father's Day BBQ at my in-laws, where my car is parked as they were nice enough to take me to the airport-bound train.

Pictured from left: Atrium Tree (still a ficus, but the "pot" is a whole new design -- very colorful!) -- Theater -- Martini Bar -- Food, Glorious Food!

638590469_Equinox096.jpg.ebfbadfb91be55d2dbb7902c04cc5f48.jpg

1042098044_Equinox129.jpg.dac2f378c24e74711d9492b1546f56c0.jpg

884677381_Equinox138.jpg.7f167fe283f044e17edf92597b002b46.jpg

1321409364_Equinox142.jpg.38faf8c89442cee6bf2a9cf82273cdfd.jpg

Ha ha! There's this small foyer type passenger space that on Solstice is all dark, tiled walls with trails of ants worked into the design. It sounds a bit strange, but it's actually quite striking and very cool.

Ah, forgot about that...right outside the Horizons Lounge and Michael's. Yes, we did have numerous conversations about the choice of decor in there. Thanks!

Andy and Lois' date='

I missed the last ceremony that you have been referring to. What happened? ? ? ? :confused:[/quote']

Hi Ann, the Naming Ceremony for Solstice was quite moving.

The Godmother is an Oceanographer named Sharon Smith (If

memory serves). She has survived 2 battles with cancer and her life

has been quite a bit different than most of us.

She told a story about going on a frigett when she was just a small

child and how over her life how much the sea means to her

and how valuable it is to all of us.

They also announced during the ceremony that Royal Caribbean/

Celebrity was making a donation in her name to the United Way

and the monies would go to women who could not afford

Mammograms.

They had a few other speakers and bagpipes as well.

It was a ceremony I will always remember.

Hi Melissa, I have enjoyed reading all about the newest ship.

Thanks for sharing all of this with us:)

Hope you are doing well and maybe one day our paths

will cross again on a regular cruise;)

Thanks so much for all the pictures and sharing your wonderful experience with us all. You must be exhausted, hope you get some good rest you deserve it.

Looking forward to the rest of the story when you get back. Can't wait to board her in December.

Bev

Hi Ann !

I was honored to be invited to Solstice's naming/christening Cermony last November, in Ft Lauderdale. We enjoyed 2 wonderful nights onboard Solstice. The naming ceremony was entitled "A Beautiful Day". The Guest of Honor, was Solstice's Godmother, Professor Sharon Smith. When Ms. Smith made her speech, and shared some of her many life's accomplishments, I highly doubt there was a dry eye in the theater. I will never forget the experience. Indeed, it was "A Beautiful Day".

If you would like to read all about Solstice's naming ceremony, here is a link to Cruise Critic's article by Melissa : http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2939

Andy,

Thanks so much for sharing the information and I will go check out the article by Melissa. I do appreciate your time.

Hi Ann, the Naming Ceremony for Solstice was quite moving.

The Godmother is an Oceanographer named Sharon Smith (If

memory serves). She has survived 2 battles with cancer and her life

has been quite a bit different than most of us.

She told a story about going on a frigett when she was just a small

child and how over her life how much the sea means to her

and how valuable it is to all of us.

They also announced during the ceremony that Royal Caribbean/

Celebrity was making a donation in her name to the United Way

and the monies would go to women who could not afford

Mammograms.

They had a few other speakers and bagpipes as well.

It was a ceremony I will always remember.

Lois,

Thanks to you also for sharing that information. I can imagine that the whole experience was extremely moving based on Susan's life and her cancer. She sounds like a perfect Godmother for a ship.

Oy and vey -- my bad, thanks, Melissa! Teijo would be just absolutely appalled, LOL.

Carolyn

Thanks for all the info on the measurements! Though I think you meant to type 122,000 as the gross tonnage for Solstice et all. 220,000 is Oasis -- another exciting project! :D

It's an interesting room because rare for a cruise ship it's a room with no revenue-enhancement purpose. It's just beautiful. YOu aren't required to buy inches of gold or a cocktail. You can't even sit down in the "ant" room. But it's beautiful and memorable and rare in this era when other cruise lines are more focused on profit than the occasional spurt of senseless beauty.

Carolyn

Hi Melissa and all the CC editors,

I want to thank you for all your time and effort. This is the first time for us to sail on a ship that was still in the making when we booked. So this is my first experience watching and waiting...

I had no idea there was this thread until one of the members on our thread made mention of it. It has been an amazing journey to watch and hear about. Keep it coming...June:)

To: Yaya

Hi there,

We have only been to Rome once and it was only for the day, so we do not have many tips. The only tip I have been given, and experienced myself in Venice last year, is to avoid dinning in the tourist areas. Look forward to meeting you soon. Don't foget to sign up for the connections party.

See you,

Dwayne and Sabrina

Thank you, Melissa, for the great reviews!

We are on the Equinox in December and the more we read about it, December seems to be a long time to wait....

The pictures and reviews are great. One question: did you happen to see any of the accessible cabins? If you did, could you please give us some description in regards to size, furniture, and bathroom set up. Thanks!

Again, thank you for the great reviews and bringing the "Equinox Dream" a bit closer to all of us.

AlinaMaria

Hi Alina,

Unfortunately, there were no cabins available to see except for the few that were ready for us to sleep in. If my memory serves me, the accessible cabins on Solstice (which would be the same on Equinox) had handrails in the bathrooms and larger spaces between the beds, furniture, etc. to allow enough room for a wheelchair. I can get the square footage of those for you -- stay tuned!

Melissa

Thank you, Melissa, for the great reviews!

We are on the Equinox in December and the more we read about it, December seems to be a long time to wait....

The pictures and reviews are great. One question: did you happen to see any of the accessible cabins? If you did, could you please give us some description in regards to size, furniture, and bathroom set up. Thanks!

Again, thank you for the great reviews and bringing the "Equinox Dream" a bit closer to all of us.

AlinaMaria

It was my pleasure to do this -- I'm so glad you all enjoyed it! Lois, I am sure we'll cross paths again someday ;)

Hi Melissa, I have enjoyed reading all about the newest ship.

Thanks for sharing all of this with us:)

Hope you are doing well and maybe one day our paths

will cross again on a regular cruise;)

Hi Kelly!

The glass blowers aren't onboard yet (think they are called gaffers). It's a great show, I loved it on Solstice also.

Most of my photos last night came out too blurry as it was evening, and you certainly can't make out the people on the banks. But I attached a picture of the crowd that gathered at the set of locks we transited this morning before arriving in Emden. Cows and horses came too! :)

Melissa

Thanks Melissa!

Loved reading about your journey! :D

Dear Melissa,

Thanks for all the info. I've booked for the "pre-maiden" voyage to Norway on July 31st, (aquaclass) and your posts have answered most of the my questions. I feel that I'll know my way around when I get there! My only query now is BLU, as I have seen mixed posts as to whether aquaclass eat their dinner there, or can choose between it and the main dining room.

Thanks, TARA in London

Archived