Last wish

pukalani48

My father was recently diagnosed with Terminal Lung Cancer. He has always wanted to go on the Panama Canal Cruise. Has anyone had experience with this sort of situation. Would Princess take a passenger in this condition? He is not on oxygen, and other than tiring easily he is doing well. Any advise would be appreciated.

My father was recently diagnosed with Terminal Lung Cancer. He has always wanted to go on the Panama Canal Cruise. Has anyone had experience with this sort of situation. Would Princess take a passenger in this condition? He is not on oxygen, and other than tiring easily he is doing well. Any advise would be appreciated.

Princess doesn't ask you for medical info when you book a cruise. If he doesn't require any specialized medical attention, I can't see any reason for you not to take him. Book now.

Sorry to hear your father is so ill. Please do take him on his cruise if the doctor will allow it. There was a lady on our last trip who was also terminally ill and she was really enjoying herself. She was unable to get around except in a wheelchair but was always upbeat and happy. Yes, she did need frequent naps etc but she was having a good time and that is so important.

There are good doctors aboard and they will be able to help out if needed. I know it is tough for the family but you will be so happy your father did the trip he has always wanted to do. There will be happy memories for you all and that will help a lot in days to come.

Your post reminded me that years ago we were on a cruise and someone we knew from home was on with his entire family and wife, who had terminal breast cancer. She was in a wheelchair and looked very ill but was smiling and I think the whole family was really appreciating making this family memory!

Definitely go! Splurge on the best cabin you can and enjoy!

Please do book if you are in a position where you are able to. Princess will do what they can to help out with the situation as long as his doctor considers him to be fit for travel. I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis, my father was also diagnosed with lung cancer late last year but surgery and ongoing treatment were able to keep him with us and he recovered. At least it finally got him to stop smoking...

Book it soon. I recommend a panamax size ship but since time *may* be short in your case, book the earliest one you can find. Take cruise insurance in case you need to evacuate him during the cruise. The cruise lines are reducing the actual crossings of Panama due to increasing cost of crossings in future. Basically they stop at Colon or Cristobal Pier and you then need to take an add-on tour to experience the crossing. But if he tires easily it is better to book a cruise which will actually go thru' some locks - i.e. either a partial or a full crossing.

I do not see a need to tell RCCL. To be considerate to fellow passengers in case of inevitable, book a cruise that does not stray too far from land.

Good luck and I hope he enjoys his sunset sailing.

In April we Golden Princess (Hawaii). there was a lovely woman who was terminally ill. It was her wish to travel to Hawaii. she made the trip just fine.

Book the cruise, take out insurance, and have a wonderful time with your loved one. Princess has good physicians on board, so any problems would be acted on quickly.

Shirley

You are in my families thoughts and prayers during this time. If it is ok from your dad's doctor take him on the cruise...It is amzaing what this trip will do for him and for the family. (mentally and spirtual)

Like the other post please take out the insurance. Let the ship know in advance to make this trip the most memorable one for him and the family.. Take lots of pictures and videos.

God bless you all during this time.

I had Prostate Cancer surgery in Feb. and spent 3 months in bed recovering. My doctor knew we wanted to go on a cruise to celebrate life and success for his efforts. He gave me the go ahead at the end of April. We booked immediately and just returned from the 9 day Caribbean Princess cruise.

I wish your father well and I hope you take the doctors advise and then book your cruise. It is a very uplifting vacation and restful when needed.

Good Luck and God Bless

I hope that you and your family have a wonderful cruise granting this wish.

Be sure you read the small print on the travel insurance. I believe you can get it with a pre existing medical condition but must buy it very quickly after initial deposit. Also I dont know your fathers age but if he is on Medicare and has a supplement it might be primary for any medical evacuation that migh be needed.

Hi,

My cousin 13 passed away 4 years ago and he went on a cruise with Dream Come True. He loved it and got to see so much. I heard that there is also a Dream Come True for adults. Anyway, take him and treasure the great times with your father.

I am very sorry to hear of your father's illness.

My mum went on CB to the Caribbean just 2 months before she passed away from colon cancer. Looking back, I wish we would have gone on 10 cruises instead of one. She had a wonderful time and when she felt tired or needed to rest she did so on her balcony. I can only imagine what she was thinking as she looked out to sea but I do know she got to live a week without doctors, chemo, needle sticks, blood tests and all of the hassle that people fighting cancer encounter on a daily basis. I cherish the memories from that trip and I know my mum was exactly where she wanted to be - with her family and on her favorite type of vacation - CRUISING!

I wish you and your family the best!

I think a cruise is perfect for this situation. You don't have to plan a lot (or any) activities. If I were terminally ill the thing I would love most of all would be to sit on my balcony and see the peace of the ocean. It might not be right for everyone but that's what I hope my family would do with me.

My mother died exactly two months after being diagnosed with lung cancer. I wish I could turn back time and take a cruise with her during that time... Have a great time and make the most of your time with him.

Thank you all for your advise, kindness and good wishes. We see the Dr next week and will ask for his approval. It would be a bitter sweet voyage but worth it to see him smile and forget about things for a moment. Thank you all!

Just a suggestion about booking. Not too long ago I helped make a reservation for my Dad who had experienced a series of strokes. I booked directly with Princess and told the woman my Dad needed to conserve energy. They were wonderful about booking a room near an elevator and providing some extra help at embarking and disembarking. Go soon and enjoy.

My mother died exactly two months after being diagnosed with lung cancer. I wish I could turn back time and take a cruise with her during that time... Have a great time and make the most of your time with him.

While I don't want to be dismal here, I agree with Drew B... it can be quick, so do it now! My father died in less than two months once he was diagnosed! Now granted he was 76 and hadn't been to a doctor for 17 years... so do not give up hope and just do it!

I just dragged my mother to Alaska, on a trip my father always wanted to take, and in retrospect I think she appreciated it! We were onboard for my father's 83 birthday, so it was in his memory!

Oh my post is so sad... my apologies! Just do it!!!!

My very best to you and your family!

VB1

As many have said here, if your Dad's Doctor approves of such a trip go for it! I have seen many people onboard the Princess ships with those oxygen tanks on wheels as well as the oxygen set-up on one of those battery operated wheel chairs.

Yes, I have also seen the services provided to people who need it by Princess and it appears to be very good. ;)

If the doctor says he's fine to travel, then he can go. Make sure you take out travel insurance.

You need to download, complete and submit this form to Princess' Chief Medical Officer as soon as possible.

https://book.princess.com/pdf/cp/Princess_Health_Form.pdf

He will review it, along with the Senior Medical Officer of the ship that you are planning on, in order to determine if they will allow him to sail. They will also be requesting records and a conversation with his treating physician(s) to determine their opinion on his medical stability for travel. As it states in the contract of passage, they have the right to deny passage for unstable medical conditions. Suggest that you get it done ASAP. If you need to know where to submit it, the fax number for Fleet Medical is at the bottom of the form (RN, former Princess employee speaking here).

Thank you all for your advise, kindness and good wishes. We see the Dr next week and will ask for his approval. It would be a bitter sweet voyage but worth it to see him smile and forget about things for a moment. Thank you all!

It will be the most memorable trip you can take. We had friends that did a cruise with the wife, husband and kids, the wife (our firiend) had terminal cancer. The memories they made were for all of their lifetimes.

I'm sorry about your father's illness. Do it, but do it for both of you. This may be a special wish of your father's, but it will give you undivided time together and priceless memories. My friend's brother had a terminal illness, and the whole family took several trips before he passed away. He was in a wheelchair, so it was difficult to get around in Europe, but "so worth the effort", as she has told me. That was 10 yrs ago, and she still speaks of the trips.

Archived