Promenade deck on Paul Gauguin?

Despite having been on the PG in '98, I have no memory of a promenade area suitable for extended walking. It wasn't an issue in '98 as the cruise was 7 days with every day in port. And in looking at the deck plans, it's not clear whether there is a promenade deck that does around the entire ship.

However, next month we'll be on the 14 day Marquesas itinerary which has 3 at sea days. My wife is an exercise junkie. In addition to hitting the "fitness center", she typically puts in a few miles on the promenade deck.

Is Deck 5 a promenade deck that one can walk around the entire ship? Or is there some other area that will work?

CMI

Yes, I remember that there was a walking track around one of the decks, not sure which. I also remember that no running was allowed, at least not early in the morning, because it might wake the passengers underneath. Can't remember which deck it is.

In 2003, some of the crew were involved in canoeing, which is the national sport in Tahiti. They had their own boat, and practiced in the evenings, when docked. Maybe your wife could get involved in this form of exercise, although unlikely on sea days, when the ship is moving!

Do remember that's it hot, and more so, I've heard, in the Marquesas (you lucky guys!)

The P deck (deck 5) does NOT go all the way around - in fact it's pretty useless except for thelifeboat drill.

They have a walking group every morning around 9 am up on deck 9 - the top deck by the Bar du Soleil, although it's pretty small - something like 10 times around for a mile. The deck isn't open until 8:30 am.

Ok, thanks. I was afraid of that. Deck 9 isn't really a good choice since it is fully exposed to the sun, I believe. The walking only part is not a problem as long as you can pass the slower walkers. I guess she can walk after sundown or walk to the the boutique. :o Sure hope the machines in the fitness center are working.

CMI

What I remember was a deck that went all the way around but only if you walked thru the restuarant on the pool deck. No running allowed but there was a small exercise room. Walking or running on Bora Bora or Morea would be OK, paved roads, natives walking all over but not on the private Motu - no path there.

Colleen is right that you could walk through the Pacific Grill restaurant and around the stern behind the pool on deck 8, but you can't walk around the front of the ship on deck 8 - there are doors from the pool area to the halls that lead to the deck 8 staterooms there! :)

Cheers,

Ken

All good information for the average exercise junkie, but in my case, I was specifically looking for a deck for walking. After two knee surgeries, running is out, stair climbing as exercise is out, and long distance on hard surfaces (like paved roads) is out. We do a lot of beach walking and she swims a mile or more -- but I know lap swimming won't work in the PG pool :p . Hopefully, the trusty crew will be able to keep the fitness equipment working.

CMI

Phil, no acutally it is better than those enclosed lap pools that

are 10 feet in length with a current to simulate length; I did

left arm, right arm repeat 10 times & turn for 30 min on the

Navigator a week ago for 9/10 days (they drained it on our last day--nuts)

and loved it...will do the same on the PG in march..thx and those

stairs sound good too as you begin to think about all that fabulous

food & drink...r/wes

Archived